Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Downloads

Options
  • 06-03-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    Does anyone know how much data a downloaded Netflix programme uses?
    I know if course to do the initial download using WiFi but in order to actually watch that downloaded programme I will not have access to WiFi so I was hoping that I can simply use my Data but obviously that’s dependent on how much is used.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

johnire wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    I know if course to do the initial download using WiFi but in order to actually watch that downloaded programme I will not have access to WiFi so I was hoping that I can simply use my Data but obviously that’s dependent on how much is used.
    Thanks!

If it's downloaded, it's physically on your device so no data is used. All you need to play it with is the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

johnire wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    Thanks!

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Be aware that they expire after a few days and you need to reconnect to renew the download:
    https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54865

Just in case you are going on holidays and won't have access to the internet or something.

I think they do that so that you can't keep something that they no longer have the rights to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks folks-that’s very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even if you're connected to wi-fi, like in your hotel or a pizzeria in Tenerife, I'd still put it into flight mode when watching a downloaded program to avoid any data transfer. And as advised, programs can expire so leave the physical download until as late as possible before you travel.

If you have an Android gadget and you have a microSD card installed, be sure to store the downloads on the memory card. Go into App Settings and set 'Download Location' to SD Card. If you don't have a memory card and you can't afford much space, consider setting 'Download Video Quality' to 'Standard' instead of 'High', this will use less memory and the downloads will be faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

coylemj wrote: »
    Even if you're connected to wi-fi, like in your hotel or a pizzeria in Tenerife, I'd still put it into flight mode when watching a downloaded program to avoid any data transfer. And as advised, programs can expire so leave the physical download until as late as possible before you travel.

If you have an Android gadget and you have a microSD card installed, be sure to store the downloads on the memory card. Go into App Settings and set 'Download Location' to SD Card. If you don't have a memory card and you can't afford much space, consider setting 'Download Video Quality' to 'Standard' instead of 'High', this will use less memory and the downloads will be faster.

Will that help keep it, if it's due to expire?

Afaik my Amazon tablet automatically was set to download when inserting an sd card, although another tablet i know had to be restarted for it to recognise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Afaik my Amazon tablet automatically was set to download when inserting an sd card, although another tablet i know had to be restarted for it to recognise it!
    coylemj wrote: »
    No.

On what does the expiry depend?

Date & time or some other factor/s?

Advertisement