Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock for Oil Heating Thermostat. Excessive use from tenant

Options
  • 06-03-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello I have a tenant excessively using the oil in my house. Usuallly at 4am when all in bed . He is up drunk in my kitchen with heating on full blast. I have had to come down many times to turn it off to be met with an aggressive nature.i would like a device to be able to lock heating and prevent it from being turned on at this unnecessary hour.He is a taxi driver working shifts and comes home and has his casual 10 cans and more every night. His tenancy is up on june 12. Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

He's a licencee and not a tenant. You cont have to wait till the agreement is up to remove him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

OP, from your post it sounds like you own the house? If that is the case I would not be bothering with any locking device for the central heating, rather you should look to move this individual on asap as their behavior is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ginger2018

i served notice this morning for a month. I have had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

He is a licencee not a tenant. You are an owner-occupier, not a landlord. The Residential Tenancies Act has no bearing on this set up whatsoever.

He does not not need 1 months notice. A licencee needs only "reasonable notice" which is very subjective.

If I were you in this instance with a drunk abusive lodger I would be considering reasonable notice to be the time taken for my foot to propel said individuals arse out of the front door.

Basically, you can kick him right out for this sort of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You could chuck him out tomorrow if you wanted to.

Saving yourself any expense in putting locks on thermostats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

ginger2018 wrote: »
    i served notice this morning for a month. I have had enough.

You're doing the best thing for yourself by getting rid of this individual, but a month is a very long time particularly with a lodger who is acting up like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If he becomes in anyway abusive over the notice, get shot there and then. Don't be afraid to call the guards and don't take any 'it's a civil matter' bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If he acts the bollix over the weekend, give him a weeks notice. Also, when you boot him out, change the locks (easy to do yourself) as it'll provide you with peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All the above is correct.

But he's entitled to heat and wind down time after he finishes work. Pick more compatible tenants next time.

Advertisement