Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Driving of other cars" extension on vehicle with lapsed NCT

Options
  • 06-03-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi Liberty,

I have a policy with yourselves in my own name which allows me to drive another vehicle not belonging to me with the owners permission, regardless of whether the second car is insured by its owner.

My own car is insured with you and has valid tax and NCT.

My partner has a car which is in her name but not currently insured by her and the NCT expired last month.

I know as part of the extension on my policy, the second car has to be in a "roadworthy condition". I had planned on driving this car up to its NCT but want to know if I'm covered despite the NCT having lapsed.

Does "roadworthy condition" mean a valid NCT or simply not falling apart on the road, bald tyres, no lights etc.

I maintain the car myself and it is in a "roadworthy condition" as far as I can see but want to get it NCT'd.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yes, it needs a valid NCT, if you crash the car then you will not be covered.

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Hi Liberty,

I have a policy with yourselves in my own name which allows me to drive another vehicle not belonging to me with the owners permission, regardless of whether the second car is insured by its owner.

My own car is insured with you and has valid tax and NCT.

My partner has a car which is in her name but not currently insured by her and the NCT expired last month.

I know as part of the extension on my policy, the second car has to be in a "roadworthy condition". I had planned on driving this car up to its NCT but want to know if I'm covered despite the NCT having lapsed.

Does "roadworthy condition" mean a valid NCT or simply not falling apart on the road, bald tyres, no lights etc.

I maintain the car myself and it is in a "roadworthy condition" as far as I can see but want to get it NCT'd.

Thanks
    Hi Baraics Pollox

Can you DM me with your policy details and we will take a look into this for you.

Regards 
    Seán

Advertisement