Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on a career path - what should I do?

Options
  • 06-03-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi All,

So I've kind of fallen into a career in Marketing and I hate it! Well, there are aspects I don't mind such as developing events, campaigns etc but for the most part these are farmed out to external agencies. After trying a couple of companies I just don't think this career is right for me and I'm anxious to get moving in the right direction.

My background includes some event work, some graphic design and marketing. I am quite creative and enjoy project management, I like to see tangible results from things I do and with Marketing everything is either a long haul so no real results or a sudden panic where something impossible has to get done by the end of he day and it's just mental.

Now I don't mind a bit of stress and I actually love being really busy, I love having a project to focus on and getting it across the line. I like getting to be creative and I ideally like to be the lead on projects.

I've done endless career tests and met with careers people but it's just not clicking, I either don't see a job that makes me excited or I suppose I doubt my ability. On top of that I don't want to land myself back in the same position of being in a career and regretting it when it's not really something that excites me. I kind of thought Marketing would be this fun, creative, exciting role and I was young and didn't realise the amount of just research and stuff like that that goes with it.

Things that have crossed my mind as options range from interior decorator, fashion/costume designer to events management or a facilitator. I'm OK with going back for some education if it can be done while working. I want something where I get a brief or a goal and I then develop the ideas of how it should turn out, manage a team and get it done.

I don't love being stuck at a desk all day and I like to be hands on. I don't want to have to travel half the country ideally but I get it's a possibility.

Part of my issue is at times I will come up with an idea of something I like and either it doesn't exist in the Irish jobs market or I just constantly fear it won't be like I think it will.

If anyone can offer some sound advice, I'm open to private messages, I'm opening to chatting with a careers person who doesn't just want to rip me off. I just really want to discover what I really want!!
    Tagged:

Advertisement