Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake/fraudulent tickets? Help a brother out

Options
  • 06-03-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Recently (2 weeks) bought 2 tickets through an online buy snd sell page. Paid cost price. Seller informed me he was sending via regestered post. No sign of tickets. I gave a horrible feeling I've been scanned. What ca n I do? No communication from seller since

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Recently (2 weeks) bought 2 tickets through an online buy snd sell page. Paid cost price. Seller informed me he was sending via regestered post. No sign of tickets. I gave a horrible feeling I've been scanned. What ca n I do? No communication from seller since

How did you pay for the tickets, paypal, credit card, debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Did he provide you with the tracking number for the registered item?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Zero contact from seller. Paid via PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

You should be able to get your money back if you contact PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Paid via PayPal

Then just claim the money back. PayPal will refund you the full amount as long as you didn’t try to scam them and say the money was a gift to avoid paying fees.

• Advertisement

Just do a charge back on Paypal, shouldn't be any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

GarIT wrote: »
    Then just claim the money back. PayPal will refund you the full amount as long as you didn’t try to scam them and say the money was a gift to avoid paying fees.

If you send the money as a gift the buyer (OP) pays the fees. No?

emeldc wrote: »

Possibly but the main thing about paying as a gift is that you have zero buyer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Never use the gift option on paypal unless it really is a gift. I learned that one the hard way.

emeldc wrote: »

No there are no fees on gifts. (except when a gift is sent from a credit card)

If you put it through as a purchase only the seller pays fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Please say you didn't send it through the "Send money to friends and family" option? The scammers will say to use this to save fees but it means you can't claim it back. You're basically telling PayPal that you're not buying from a stranger and you're authorising the payment. You have no comeback this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

For what show do you mind me asking?

U2

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can you not still commence a chargeback via your bank?

Thats a great way to have Paypal very very pissed at you.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Think this is better in Consumer Issues.

Can you not still commence a chargeback via your bank?

If you attempt to do a chargeback against PayPal they'll hit you with an unreversable lifetime ban. You can get around it by changing your email address and the bank account/card you use with them but that can be inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you attempt to do a chargeback against PayPal they'll hit you with an unreversable lifetime ban. You can get around it by changing your email address and the bank account/card you use with them but that can be inconvenient.

I'd dispute the ban claim. I know somebody who initiated a chargeback successfully and continues to use PayPal on their original account.

I'd dispute the ban claim. I know somebody who initiated a chargeback successfully and continues to use PayPal on their original account.

That's very strange. From what I've read previously hell hath no fury like a chargebacked paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Have the physical U2 tickets come out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

I may be wrong, but aren't the U2 gigs ticketless? For standing at least? Meaning you need the card used at purchase to get in.
    Paypal claim is the way to go... If you can't, unfortunately you've learned a very expensive lesson! Sorry buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I may be wrong, but aren't the U2 gigs ticketless? For standing at least? Meaning you need the card used at purchase to get in.

Does this mean that I can no longer buy tickets for family and friends as presents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What website did you buy from.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Does this mean that I can no longer buy tickets for family and friends as presents?

You must lend them your card for the duration of the event, otherwise yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a great way to have Paypal very very pissed at you.

Who cares? Paypal treat people like sh1t if they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

U2... sorry. I work in the biz, thought I could maybe help, but afraid thats a tough one as you know
    I hope you get sorted.

TedR wrote: »
    U2... sorry. I work in the biz, thought I could maybe help, but afraid thats a tough one as you know
    I hope you get sorted.

THanks TedR contacted paypal so looks like it might get resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Effects wrote: »
    Who cares? Paypal treat people like sh1t if they feel like it.

well i have had nothing but good expereince of pay pal as a buyer over many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

well i have had nothing but good expereince of pay pal as a buyer over many years.

Yep, I bought a Garmin years ago on ebay but didn't get a charger with it. Paypal negotiated with the seller and I got a refund of €20. Their rules are fairly clear. It's just that people don't read or understand them properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You must lend them your card for the duration of the event, otherwise yes.

Sounds like ticketmaster protecting their own price gouging touts, seat waves profits.

Advertisement