Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No contract

Options
  • 06-03-2018 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been with my company for a year now, I haven't been given a contract or terms and conditions. It's catering and over the winter I have had my hours cut without any agreement and have been having to use my holidays to top up my wages. Who can I report this to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maccabe

Hi! The good news is that you likely DO have a contract. It's a custom and practice contract. When you commenced employment, you worked "as normal" and undertook the duties, pay and hours of work as required. You got holidays, for example, so there are certain rules or guidelines set by your employer in their practical working arrangement with you. If there was a very regular pattern in those rules, one could assume that these are your terms and conditions of employment.

If you worked regular hours for a long period, and they suddenly altered without notice, or suddenly reduced without layoff or short time notification, this is a change to your normal working relationship with your employer.
    Speak to management and outline your point of view to try resolve the issue. Citizens information has good guidance on contracts and making a complaint where necessary, however an internal complaint or discussion may prove to be more effective (depending on your manager or the company, of course!)

The other issue is that your employer is legally obliged to issue you with a statement of your terms of employment to include their diciplinary policy within 2 months of commencing employment. If they haven't done that, well... that doesn't help their side at all.

Advertisement