Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction Notice - Do we need to stay until the end date

Options
  • 06-03-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help us. We got eviction notice from landlord, they are putting house on market, we have to be gone by end of April, so plenty of notice so no issue there.

My concern is if we manage to get a new property before end of April, we have been to viewings and in with estate agents and fair few places want people to move in as soon as.

personally id like to get it over with as soon as, but am I bound to stay / pay rent up until end of notice period, or in the event I get a new place say 27 March, can I move out and notify landlord that house is vacated and agree no requirement to pay the last month rent?

Thanks for any assistance in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping someone can help us. We got eviction notice from landlord, they are putting house on market, we have to be gone by end of April, so plenty of notice so no issue there.

My concern is if we manage to get a new property before end of April, we have been to viewings and in with estate agents and fair few places want people to move in as soon as.

personally id like to get it over with as soon as, but am I bound to stay / pay rent up until end of notice period, or in the event I get a new place say 27 March, can I move out and notify landlord that house is vacated and agree no requirement to pay the last month rent?

Thanks for any assistance in advance
    You got a termination notice, not an eviction notice which comes from the sheriff.
    1. Agree with the landlord that you can move out sooner if another property becomes available.
    2. leave early and take your chances. A lot depends on the reason for the termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Talk to your landlord.

Say the market is harsh right now, so if you are to leave by the date on the termination notice you might need to leave quickly when you get a place. Can he confirm he is ok with that to facilitate his termination notice via writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

That's something you need to agree with landlord but I'm sure if he's wanting to sell he wants to sell now so him giving you til end of April is probably him giving you proper notice but still hoping you'll be gone ASAP so he probably won't have a problem. Better that than tenants that won't go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Legally, you're required to provide a certain amount of notice to end the tenancy as a tenant, and you'd be responsible for the rent throughout that notice period (or until the landlord's notice takes effect, whichever is shorter). For longer tenancies (over a few years) this notice period is usually shorter than the landlord's required notice period to terminate the tenancy. You can find the tenant notice periods here.

That said, it is permissible to end a tenancy with a shorter notice period if both the landlord and the tenant mutually agree to the shorter period, so your best option is to discuss the matter with your landlord. I imagine most landlords would be more than happy to allow a tenant to move out early and be able to start their own work prepping the house for sale earlier under these circumstances; if nothing else, they at least wouldn't have to worry about any overholding shenanigans mucking up their sale, and they may consider that well worth forgoing a month's rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Much easier to market an empty house. I've seen nightmares with over-holding obstructive tenants. Landlord probably wants you out ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement