Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris Saint-German vs Real Madrid, Last 16 2nd Leg, TV3 & BT Sport 2 (k.o. 7.45)

• 06-03-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

real_madrid_v_psg_preview_h13106_025cd.jpg

Tonight sees the conclusion of this fascinating tie that sees PSG tasked with overturning the 3-1 scoreline Madrid earned in the first leg.

For both coaches the result of the tie will have a massive impact on their chances of keeping their position; Zidane has admitted it will be hard for the losing coach. Reports from France today say that the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, will be at the match. He is the head owner and will be scrutinising Emery's performance closely.

Emery has had a big blow to his hopes with Neymar injured and a doubt to feature again this season. It is expected that Mbappe will feature wide on the left instead, with in-form Angel Di Maria coming in on the right side. The main question mark is who plays in the holding role, and who plays in central defence. Lo Celso played and struggled in the first leg and is unlikely to start again. Rumours suggest the Brazilian players have told Emery to play Thiago Motta. It will likely be him or January signing Lass Diarra who plays. At centre-back, Kimpembe got the nod alongside Marquinhos in Madrid but there is speculation that Thiago Silva may play ahead of Kimpembe this time.

Zidane has big calls to make too. Modric and Kroos are returning from injuries and neither have featured together for a few weeks. It remains to be seen whether both come back in for this game. The Spanish media seem to think the in-form Lucas Vazquez will start, but Bale, Asensio and Isco are other options available. Marcelo has returned to fitness and is set to start which is a big boost for them as he was one of the star performers in the first leg. Ronaldo will also feature and it will be a tall order for the home side to keep him quiet for 90 minutes.

The bookies think PSG will win the 2nd leg but that Madrid will ultimatley advance. I am inclined to agree. I think PSG can get goals and their home record is very impressive. While Neymar's absence is a big loss, I don't think it is as catastrophic as it has been made out to be. Mbappe this season has had to play on the right of the attacking three since Neymar prefers to play off the left, but Neymar's absence allows Mbappe to have a rare opportunity to feature on the left for PSG - last season at Monaco he was playing on the left of a front two and was excellent. It will be interesting to see how Mbappe fares. He was underwhelming to put it nicely in the first leg but in a more comfortable role this could be his night to shine. Di Maria meanwhile has been in super form and it was bizarre that Emery did not use him at all in the first leg. Draxler is another dangerous option too to be called upon.

Madrid, though, have major firepower themselves; and with PSG having to take the initiative in this match, it is set up perfectly for Madrid to pick PSG off on the counter. If 35 year-old Motta starts - which is what L'Equipe claims - then I can see Madrid getting joy on the break and scoring at least one goal tonight. I could envisage PSG winning 3-1 and it going to Extra-Time but I've a feeling Madrid will get a second goal tonight, be it in regular time or extra-time, and putting this tie to bed.

It should be a gripping contest whatever happens. What way do you see the tie going tonight?

Update - Confirmed line-ups:
    PSG XI: Areola; Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Yuri Berchiche; Rabiot, Thiago Motta, Verratti; Di Maria, Cavani, Mbappe.

Real Madrid XI: Keylor; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Lucas Vazquez, Casemiro, Kovacic, Asensio; Benzema, Ronaldo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant see PSG keeping Real out and 3-1 did severly flatter Real in the first leg too.

Should be a good game, if Real score first though theres no hope for PSG, IMO.

A PSG lead at HT would make for a very interesting second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2-4 or 3-4 Agg at full time. PSG will have to be brave and RM will just wait for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams are in:
    PSG XI: Areola; Dani Alves, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Yuri Berchiche; Rabiot, Thiago Motta, Verratti; Di Maria, Cavani, Mbappe.

Real Madrid XI: Keylor; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Lucas Vazquez, Casemiro, Kovacic, Asensio; Benzema, Ronaldo.

L'Equipe had the PSG line-up mostly right except Yuri starts over Kurzawa at left-back. Big night for Motta and Thiago Silva. Other than that looks pretty good for the home side.

Madrid start without both Modric and Kroos who are on the bench, alongside Bale and Isco.

To me the midfield battle looks very winnable for PSG on paper. It's just whether their defence can hold out and I've my doubts about that. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bale will be sold in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Reports from France today say that the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, will be at the match. He is the head owner and will be scrutinising Emery's performance closely.

That sounds a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That sounds a bit ridiculous.

Yeah if he saw the first leg Emery would have been left stranded in Madrid :D

Teams are in:

L'Equipe had the PSG line-up mostly right except Yuri starts over Kurzawa at left-back. Big night for Motta and Thiago Silva. Other than that looks pretty good for the home side.

Madrid start without both Modric and Kroos who are on the bench, alongside Bale and Isco.

To me the midfield battle looks very winnable for PSG on paper. It's just whether their defence can hold out and I've my doubts about that. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

That Madrid midfield, by their standards, is very sub par, its probably better than the other 90% midfields in the world but a 4-4-2 from Madrid without Isco or Kross and Modric is going to have to rely on Vasquez and Asensio to do all the creating .

No doubt Real will get chances and in Ronaldo, theres no player more clinical if a chance comes his way.

I'd love if PSG went through, mainly because I dont want Madrid to win it again and the sooner theyre out, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Can't believe benzema is still getting his game.

11 goals in the league last year. 4 this year.

I'd get that myself playing upfront for Real Madrid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That PSG side look better balanced than last fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

End to end stuff so far, Di Maria giving it away a few times already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Can't believe benzema is still getting his game.

Think it's cos if they had a good striker up front they'd crack up dealing with Ronaldo's ego!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Bad tackle by verrati but casemiro rolling around like that is hilarious.

Game is flatter than I expected. Just one goal can make a huge difference for either side. PSG don't look too likely so far.

Kovacic and Casemiro have done very well. PSG struggling to create anything. Areola keeping them in it atm.

This is fairly pathetic by PSG.

Some amount of poor play out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mbappe not squaring it for cavani was an awful call. Madrid well able to see off psgs attacks for the most part perhaps aided by Di Maria stinking the place out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

klose wrote: »
    Mbappe not squaring it for cavani was an awful call. Madrid well able to see off psgs attacks for the most part perhaps aided by Di Maria stunning the place out.

Mbappe going for glory. A square ball and it's 1-0. Expect Mayham 2nd half.

Madrid doing very well so far. Been impressed with Kovacic's stifling of PSG attacks. Di Maria has disappointed me. Nowhere near good enough service provided to Cavani from his teammates.

Madrid doing very well so far. Been impressed with Kovacic's stifling of PSG attacks. Di Maria has disappointed me. Nowhere near good enough service provided to Cavani from his teammates.

Di Maria has been awful, after Madrid he has never been the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

That should silence the PSG fans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That through ball was magnificent!

That's it if the pathetic showing by PSG wasn't enough confirmation

All from Alves carelessly losing it. Ruthlessly punished by Ronaldo.

That should be that.

PSG are limping out of Europe again.

poor mistake by Alves but that was woeful by Rabiot. Lost his player entirely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And that's that.

Asensio is class and great header by Ronaldo. That's not smoke it's just the smell of **** off of psg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Crazy to think with the amount of money they've spent that PSG haven't made the semis since 1995

• Advertisement

Benzema striking returns gets so much criticism. He's absolutely brilliant though at holding the ball up with players around him. Himself and Ronaldo are great targets.

Gonna be some big gaps at the back now for PSG. Bale would love this situation. Might see him shortly.

Verratti. What a clown. Disgraceful.

Lol. Just lol.

PSG are bunch a woosies - no strength to their play in attack, possession, defence - anything and now down to 10 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What a bad team.

• Advertisement

This is what happens when almost no one can lay a glove on you in the domestic game. Players forget what 95 minutes of genuine competition feels like.

• 53 away Cl goals for Ronaldo
    Jesus Christ

ha! PSG 1-1 so 2-4 agg

1-1. Cavani. The comeback is on. :pac:

What a bad team.

Not a team. I honestly think that they need a rocket up there arse by a hard nosed trainer. Emery doesnt have a big enough character.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    53 away Cl goals for Ronaldo
    Jesus Christ

Do goals in the UCl really count though given that PSG are the top scorers from the group stages?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Gwan the Tommy Wiseau

• Turtwig wrote: »
    Do goals in the UCl really count though given that PSG are the top scorers from the group stages?:pac:

I don't get what you mean "don't count". That's a phenomenal record for one individual.

Your comparison with PSG who where playing a punching bag aka Celtic twice isn't exactly a fair one!!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't get what you mean "don't count". That's a phenomenal record for one individual.

Your comparison with PSG who where playing a punching bag aka Celtic twice isn't exactly a fair one!!

Real have played many punching bags too.

It was tongue in cheek anyway. Not meant to be taken as a sleight on Ronnies goal record. Just a statement thatstats should always be look at in context. PSG have really impressive goal stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Rabiots attitude there.

You know you're bad when casemiro scores against you.

What a shambles of a goal to concede! Sums up PSG's evening. Terrible clearance from Rabiot.

• Game over now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Goodbye Unai.

The woodwork has been one of PSGs better players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement