Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the worst game show we have

• 06-03-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭

what is the worst the tv game show we have

i think it is the chase
    there is very little chance of the contestants winning anything
    everything is biased towards the chaser by not having to buzz in just answer .
    and the speed you can lock in your answer and put the other person under pressure
    then you have the controvery over the timer when it stretched out to let the chaser catch

what do you think is the worst and why

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Game shows went to fcuk the day Going For Gold was pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Supermarket Sweep would like a word with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

i think it is the chase

Seconded. Unless your a celebrity of course, they seem to win on it a lot. Must be very smart people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Winning Streak. For a game based entirely on luck, it relies too heavily on (bad) computer graphics. Also, a contestant could win €35,000, a holiday and a brand new car and they'll still look like they've just received bad news about a close relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fifteen to one.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Supermarket Sweep would like a word with you.

Yup, whenever I'm in Tesco's (or SuperValu's or Aldi's or Lidl's) at the self-service checkout, and I hear the beep, I think of the fun I could be having on Supermarket Sweep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Tipping Point.

TV Executive: "Let's make a large version of a money grabbing carnival game and build a show around it. People will lap it up!"

And sadly they do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fifteen to one.

One for the purists I suppose.

Tough questions and a good standard of contestant. No gobdaws were getting on that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Winning Streak. For a game based entirely on luck, it relies too heavily on (bad) computer graphics. Also, a contestant could win €35,000, a holiday and a brand new car and they'll still look like they've just received bad news about a close relative.

I showed that to an american housemate once. She was completely confused by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Tough questions and a good standard of contestant. No gobdaws were getting on that show.

I beg to differ.

I was on it about 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Winning Streak for the relatively **** prizes given that the people have already won entry via a lottery draw at very low odds.

Crap graphics like something from murphys MicroQuism and RTE 1980's humour based around treating people who are from the country as imbeciles

Anyone ever see 'Golden Balls' presented by Jasper Carrot?

It's the most tedious watch ever.

and btw, fcuk you. I've got the theme tune for that stuck in my head.

Now you can too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭photosmart

Sic
    Quiz-m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayson wrote: »
    I showed that to an american housemate once. She was completely confused by it.

That must be a pretty stupid housemate so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Deal or No Deal.

Noel Edmonds trying to drag out an hour of television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Winning Streak is one confusing heap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Other than Winning Streak, do we have game shows? All I see is UK shows such as The Chase, and Tipping Point, repeated constantly on TV3. Going by that, I will have to say Winning Streak. Although worthy mention should go to Eamonn Dunphy, when he tried to be all Anne Robinson, on our version of The Weakest Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I meant Deal or no Deal....! (Been out of the country for a while!)

15 to 1 was ok to watch, but you wouln't want to be a contestant on it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Now you can too.

That is the best game show theme song!

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    Winning Streak is one confusing heap.

It reminds me too much of my deceased grandparents. They lived for that show and all things lottery related.

I only get sad now if I see it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

cliggg wrote: »
    Tipping Point.

TV Executive: "Let's make a large version of a money grabbing carnival game and build a show around it. People will lap it up!"

And sadly they do

But let’s make the questions easy so people will think they are smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Fifteen to One was the best quiz show ever.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Other than Winning Streak, do we have game shows?

I can barely remember it but we used to have Where in the World.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That must be a pretty stupid housemate so.

She couldn't see the point in the show. They just push buttons and get prizes. there's no skill involved at any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

salmocab wrote: »
    But let’s make the questions easy so people will think they are smart.
    I didn't even know there are questions on it. I thought it was just the coin dropping bit. I've never watched it fully just browsed onto it one day then put my head in my hands in despair for humanity. I had similar reactions when I first saw Gogglebox and Piers Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Challenge TV is the bees knees

Reminds us what we're missing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

'Skirmish', a military-based quiz show as seen on digital cable television channel, UK Conquest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yup, whenever I'm in Tesco's (or SuperValu's or Aldi's or Lidl's) at the self-service checkout, and I hear the beep, I think of the fun I could be having on Supermarket Sweep.

CarelessRedJackrabbit-max-1mb.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

The Weakest Link with Eamon Dunphy it was so so bad

Win, lose or draw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I love the chase, I think it's the best tv quiz show around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was watching old editions of bullseye the other day ....talk about cringe !!!!! Oh it was so bad!!!

Worse thing was Jim was a comedian ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I was watching old editions of bullseye the other day ....talk about cringe !!!!! Oh it was so bad!!!

And this is what you could've won :D

With the lads wheeling out the car

Ah Bullseye was good especially the prizes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on.

It is now on late night.
    Also very noticable how they changed the format for the first round after a few years.

And one has to say whoever dreamt it up was a bit of a sadist.

After you lose all your prizes (the teamaid, the walkman, the automatic camera, the decanter and sherry glasses, the set of matching luggage, the answering machine) because you failed in getting 101 to win the Bully's star prize, Jim proudly goes this is what you could have won.

And the curtain goes back to show a speed boat or a caravan or on the odd occasion something useful like a holiday :D

BTW one of the worst was Talkabout with Ian Dempsey back in late 80s.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    And the curtain goes back to show a speed boat or a caravan or on the odd occasion something useful like a holiday :D

"Well done, you're taking this state-of-the-art speedboat back to Wolverhampton."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Costing us too as it's our money that bought the lotto tickets.
    We fund it for the completely useless RTE. Costs them nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Costing us too as it's our money that bought the lotto tickets.
    We fund it for the completely useless RTE. Costs them nothing.

Yes.

It’s the people who bought the lotto tickets (not “us”) who unsurprisingly fund winning streak. Shocking.

She couldn't see the point in the show. They just push buttons and get prizes. there's no skill involved at any level.

Yeh. It’s a lottery. These people have won a lottery ticket guaranteeing lottery wins. The show itself it a continuation of the lottery theme. To determine how much, not if you win. Nobody loses.

It would be a bit unfair to ask Only Connect type questions after you won a lottery I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Couple like Deal or no Deal or Tipping Point have already been mentioned. These two drive me nuts. Quizzes or game shows where people win prizes without having any discernible brain power or skill annoy me a lot more than they should.

We need to bring back shows like The Krypton Factor or even The Crystal Maze where there was a good chance you'd break a limb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Now you can too.

Graphics on the intro are still better than winning streak.

Collie D wrote: »
    Couple like Deal or no Deal or Tipping Point have already been mentioned. These two drive me nuts. Quizzes or game shows where people win prizes without having any discernible brain power or skill annoy me a lot more than they should.

We need to bring back shows like The Krypton Factor or even The Crystal Maze where there was a good chance you'd break a limb.

Deal or no deal drives me nuts.

I mean you can’t lose on it. Just open a few boxes and make a deal for 30k. But try explaining that to that moron Edmonds at the end if your box has more money than the deal. “You lost”. “No I won 30k”. “But you could have won 50k”’ “didn’t know that did I”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

"Well done, you're taking this state-of-the-art speedboat back to Wolverhampton."

I always wondered when it wasn't a couple how they split the prizes.
    Like who got the speedboat or who got the washing machine and who got stuck with the shyte like the teasmade.

BTW I always thought it was a teasmaid but I think it is a teasmade.
    Oh and Argos still sell the things.
    Yeh. It’s a lottery.

The thing is there is no skill involved in Winning Streak like other game shows.
    They cannot have questions that you have to get or any thing that requires skill.
    It is all down to pure chance.
    Supposedly. ;)

At least in likes of Bullseye one of the couple had to bloody be someway decent at darts and t'other good at general knowledge.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »

The thing is there is no skill involved in Winning Streak like other game shows.
    They cannot have questions that you have to get or any thing that requires skill.
    It is all down to pure chance.
    Supposedly. ;)

At least in likes of Bullseye one of the couple had to bloody be someway decent at darts and t'other good at general knowledge.

It’s not a quiz. It’s a mechanism to determine how much you’ve won with a winning ticket. It needs a lottery license for that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bullseye was a great tv show. I’d suggest that now darts has become so popular again that some canny tv producer brings it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Winning Streak is the pits. Zero skill or excitement, just people shouting numbers and relying on random chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Pointless for me, the money is always a **** amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Fifteen to one.

ahhh

15-to-1 is class, a classic
    If only they could bring back William G Stewart, the former presenter.

I don't think he's dead, at least I hope not.

Tipping Point, as has been mentioned is pure desperate.
    It is a sad excuse of a game show/quiz programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Only Connect. My mind can't comprehend how the contestants make the connections to get a question right

• Advertisement
Advertisement