Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix my position

Options
  • 06-03-2018 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

So after a bit of a chat on my training log about my position on the TT bike it was suggested to put a vid up here of it and get some feedback.

It's my first every try at editing a vid so apologies if it's long or not great. I wore my planned race gear for it and have 1 shot without helmet and then some with an evade and giro aerohead I might wear, I haven't decided yet. I can already see the benefit of the shoulder shrug from the little bit on the vid, not sure I could hold that for 5 hours though. Reckon I can get a similar position by moving the pads and bars out a few cm's, it will probably lower the front a little. Adjusting height of bars is tough work, would need a new stem and a fair bit of re-cabling.

So if anyone has any feedback let me know, and you never know others might want to put up vids of their's too.

Here's the link,

https://youtu.be/YiNxKGD11xU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Hi Joey

Might be just my phone but link not working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Shud be working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Be good to see from behind and non drive side.

First thoughts hands too narrow.

Cheers Tunney, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately the hands are fairly stuck, it's a one piece bar that's mounted on the base bar, could widen the pads for elbows but hands wud be in same position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the shrug looks better but i thnk you;re right when you say you'd never hold that for 5 hours (like that your target it set though :))

• Advertisement

Ha, that's a 5 hours for reference Mossy, I'd say I will be past that! I think if I move the arm pads forward and the extensions forward it will put me closer to that position naturally, I've tried it by perching on the far edge of the pads now and it seems comfortable, no noticeable discomfort anyway.

Here's a link to the bars to try and explain the issue with setting hand width,

https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-speed-concept-mono-carbon-ergo-extension-EV201672?esvt=55720-GOIEE3334316&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1263552-1&esvcrea=196086135502&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=aud-302411052380:pla-306589584649&esvo=EV201672-L-BLK&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3fTqzfXZ2QIVz7vtCh2qrgWREAYYASABEgIYnvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Based on your recent race result and the numbers you held I'd be inclined to say that your position is yielding you good results. For Outlaw, it's about finding a position that will be comfortable for the 180km. If your current position can be held for that then I'd say you're not too far away from your ideal position. Getting more aggressive is one thing, but being comfortable for 180km is key also.

Hopefully those with a keen eye (tunney, Peter, Fran etc) may have some pointers. Angles look pretty decent to me but I did notice you have a tendency to move around on the seat a bit. It would be good to see from behind also. Front on there's a hint that there might be a bit of rocking happening.

I know jack about this stuff so take it with a pinch of salt.

Cheers P, I seen the moving around myself a bit alright, especially the front. On the saddle a bit too, but I was off a 2hr turbo before doing it so I'm going to put some of that down to that but it is something I need to keep an eye on.

Position is grand to hold, I've held it for pretty much 4 hours straight on the turbo so am comfortable in it, I'm going to try moving the pads a little to lengthen the reach a little but if there is any discomfort I'll go back to where I am now, it's nice to have a position that I know I can hold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

fair play to you, i am awful at holding aero on the turbo, on the road no issue but cannot do it on the turbo

I would have been the same mossy, but this year, since around Nov I've made a real effort to stay in the position. Always lost power when I went outside compared to the turbo, hasn't happened yet this year and am holding higher power outside off a slightly lower FTP. Do nearly 100% of my training on the turbo in aero. Last FTP was done in aero for the whole thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Not convinced you can do anything with that position. Bike just dosent suit you.

No other option but to buy a new bike, reckon this would be the perfect fit....

https://www.cervelo.com/en/triathlon/p-series/p5x/limitededition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not bad Joey, for the life of me cannot find the app I used to check angles (Slowtwitch poster created one). If I find it I will throw it in here.

Seems to be strain on shoulders being narrow also are your wrists sore? Look as if they are angled/uncomfortable especially when changing gears. Pads could probably go forward a touch. As I suggested in the log, a video from behind to
    see if there is much hip movement would help.

The fact you are holding that position comfortably for 4hrs already is a great sign, right to be training in TT and using TT position for FTP number to work off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its very good
    the front starting from upper arms is not quite right concidering comfort and aerodynamics you could do some things but that would involve loads of work . but worth it for 180 k
    anyway very good

Advertisement