Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarship?

Options
  • 06-03-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Just a question how or why do people win the Jp McManus all Ireland scholarships? I presume it’s just from doing a good leaving cert or ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They take a number of factors into account.

From their site:

You must attend a non-fee paying secondary school

You must be exempt from paying the Leaving Certificate Fee. Exemption from payment of the Leaving Certificate fee must have been communicated to the State Examinations Commission before the issue of the Leaving Certificate results. The completion of the form for exemption from the Leaving Certificate Fee automatically communicates your eligibility to the Department of Education and Skills via the State Examinations Commission

You must be doing the Leaving Certificate for the first time

You must not be the holder of another scholarship as outlined in further detail on the Department of Education and Skills website

From my experience of people who I know were awarded one, they seem to look at the whole package, not just the exam results. They didn't all have 580+ points, but many of them had overcome something, whether it was a move from their own country, illness, a family situation, having to learn English from scratch, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Sb567

spurious wrote: »
    They take a number of factors into account.

From their site:

You must attend a non-fee paying secondary school

You must be exempt from paying the Leaving Certificate Fee. Exemption from payment of the Leaving Certificate fee must have been communicated to the State Examinations Commission before the issue of the Leaving Certificate results. The completion of the form for exemption from the Leaving Certificate Fee automatically communicates your eligibility to the Department of Education and Skills via the State Examinations Commission

You must be doing the Leaving Certificate for the first time

You must not be the holder of another scholarship as outlined in further detail on the Department of Education and Skills website

From my experience of people who I know were awarded one, they seem to look at the whole package, not just the exam results. They didn't all have 580+ points, but many of them had overcome something, whether it was a move from their own country, illness, a family situation, having to learn English from scratch, whatever.

What’s the leaving cert fee ? (Sorry I’m clueless)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The fee you pay to sit the Leaving. Basically the scholarship is restricted to people who have a medical card.

Advertisement