If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Atmos Soundbar for LG 49sj800v TV

Options
  • 06-03-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hey guys. 

I have a LG 49sj800v 4k TV and am looking to benefit from better sound so I'm looking at the Atmos soundbars  

I am currently running my PS4 pro through the TV, and mainly watch 4k Netflix and Amazon Video through it. 

I am planning on getting a 4k Blu Ray player or Xbox One X for the Dolby Atmos support.

I was looking at the LG Sj9 as I do not want additional speakers everywhere but I hear there's only one port on it that supports Atmos?

Now I can run 4k Netflix  amazon and 4k blu rays through the xbox one and that will play it in Atmos i guess. 

Still wants the ps4 pro to benefit from the Soundbar too though. 

How would I go about setting this up? 

Is this Soundbar actually any good? 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hey guys. 

I have a LG 49sj800v 4k TV and am looking to benefit from better sound so I'm looking at the Atmos soundbars  

I am currently running my PS4 pro through the TV, and mainly watch 4k Netflix and Amazon Video through it. 

I am planning on getting a 4k Blu Ray player or Xbox One X for the Dolby Atmos support.

I was looking at the LG Sj9 as I do not want additional speakers everywhere but I hear there's only one port on it that supports Atmos?

Now I can run 4k Netflix  amazon and 4k blu rays through the xbox one and that will play it in Atmos i guess. 

Hi GeneticDeviant,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The SJ9 is not a bad soundbar however as it only has one HDMI input and ARC does not support Atmos you would need to switch inputs every time you wanted to use the feature.

If you are looking for a better one I would recommend the Sony HTST5000. It is a good bit more expensive but you do get 3 HDMI inputs as well as a much better sound than the SJ9.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Hey guys. 

Hi GeneticDeviant,

The SJ9 is not a bad soundbar however as it only has one HDMI input and ARC does not support Atmos you would need to switch inputs every time you wanted to use the feature.

If you are looking for a better one I would recommend the Sony HTST5000. It is a good bit more expensive but you do get 3 HDMI inputs as well as a much better sound than the SJ9.

Kind regards

David
    Wow yes that Sony does look like an impressive piece of kit    I also hear there is a Yamaha option in the sane price bracket.  In your experience,  what would be the difference between the two?

My fear with the above Sony or Yamaha option is whether it would be a bit overkill for the room I will be using it in.   The room itself measures 10ft by 8ft.   So I will be sat only 3 or 4 feet away from the TV and soundbar etc.  This is because its primarily a gaming room.  Please advise.   Many thanks. 

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey guys. 

Hi GeneticDeviant,

Kind regards

David
    Wow yes that Sony does look like an impressive piece of kit    I also hear there is a Yamaha option in the sane price bracket.  In your experience,  what would be the difference between the two?

My fear with the above Sony or Yamaha option is whether it would be a bit overkill for the room I will be using it in.   The room itself measures 10ft by 8ft.   So I will be sat only 3 or 4 feet away from the TV and soundbar etc.  This is because its primarily a gaming room.  Please advise.   Many thanks. 
    Hi geneticdeviant,

There is also a Yamaha YSP5600 however the Sony edges in front for me in terms of sound quality, Atmos representation and the separate subwoofer gives better bass and separates the low frequencies from the bar which means a cleaner sound. The Sony won the What Hi Fi award for Best Soundbar £1000+ at this years awards as well.

You're more paying for the quality and the functionality. It can be a loud soundbar but it's also unbeatable at lower volumes and for delivering a great sound and replicating surround and Atmos there isn't a soundbar I've heard that's as good.

Kind regards

David

Thanks for the advice. 

Various reviews I've read for all the soundbars including the Sony suggest that the Atmos surround effect on them is not that convincing  

That for me is most important. 

For the kind of money the Sony will cost.   Perhaps I'm better off with a proper seperates system.

Easy setup is a must.   Really don't want to be fiddling with settings the whole time.

Also the size (or lack of) my room needs to be considered. 

With the above in mind.   What separates system would you recommend  ?

Thanks in advance 

Was on your website and saw the Onkyo HTS5805 system.    Seems to have good reviews. 

How would this compare?

I do notice it's a 5.1 setup.   Can this be upgraded to 7.1 or do you feel 7.1 would be overkill for my room size ? 

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Was on your website and saw the Onkyo HTS5805 system.    Seems to have good reviews. 

How would this compare?

I do notice it's a 5.1 setup.   Can this be upgraded to 7.1 or do you feel 7.1 would be overkill for my room size ? 
    The HTS5805 includes the Onkyo HTR494 AV Receiver - that is a 7.1 channel AVR and supports Atmos up to 5.1.2 Channel.

In terms of the Soundbar issue - contrary to David I think that the YSP5600 has the most accurate representation of Atmos effects I have ever heard in a soundbar - however it's damn expensive and of course the subwoofer is extra - however I do think its one of the stand out products from an acoustic design point of view over the last decade - it really is that good - again on the downside - its H U G E and for that reason it may not work that well in your room.

Again on the room dimensions - if you are only 3 feet away from the TV - its always going to be a little difficult to get a real height representation unless you actually physically place the speakers in a height position - the current options you are looking at ( ie soundbar and in-built Atmos speaker in front channel speakers) will give you some representation but if you want a real height effect I'd recommend ceiling speakers given the room dimensions.

..However for £569 / €669 for a full Atmos 5.1.2 system including speakers and AVR - you really cannot go wrong with the HTS5805 - generally the only issue is us actually getting hold of them, but they are currently available from stock :eek: here:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201530-hts5805.aspx

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

How would this compare?

The HTS5805 includes the Onkyo HTR494 AV Receiver - that is a 7.1 channel AVR and supports Atmos up to 5.1.2 Channel.

In terms of the Soundbar issue - contrary to David I think that the YSP5600 has the most accurate representation of Atmos effects I have ever heard in a soundbar - however it's damn expensive and of course the subwoofer is extra - however I do think its one of the stand out products from an acoustic design point of view over the last decade - it really is that good - again on the downside - its H U G E and for that reason it may not work that well in your room.

Again on the room dimensions - if you are only 3 feet away from the TV - its always going to be a little difficult to get a real height representation unless you actually physically place the speakers in a height position - the current options you are looking at ( ie soundbar and in-built Atmos speaker in front channel speakers) will give you some representation but if you want a real height effect I'd recommend ceiling speakers given the room dimensions.

..However for £569 / €669 for a full Atmos 5.1.2 system including speakers and AVR - you really cannot go wrong with the HTS5805 - generally the only issue is us actually getting hold of them, but they are currently available from stock :eek: here:

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

The Onkyo system seems to be perfect and less of a compromise in terms of Atmos effect and surround sound immersion.   Good price too. 

Can you recommend  from your range speaker stands to suit this system.  

Also how is the Onkyo in terms of music performance ? 

How would this compare?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

The Onkyo system seems to be perfect and less of a compromise in terms of Atmos effect and surround sound immersion.   Good price too. 

Can you recommend  from your range speaker stands to suit this system.  

Also how is the Onkyo in terms of music performance ? 
    Hi GeneticDeviant.

With stands for the Onkyo speaker it could be a little difficult to get a pair that fits 100%.

You could perhaps use Pixel T80 for the rears, provided they are not somewhere they could be easily be knocked over. Priced at £59.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11118-t80.aspx

For the fronts you could look at some of the normal stands like the Soundstyle Z2 coming in at £79.95
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-100049-z2.aspx

In terms of how the Onkyo performs for music, its not bad at all and can reproduce a pretty good sound like most AV receivers. With surround sound being their main focus.

Sorry for pestering you guys yet again.  

It was suggested to me that maybe I'd be better off buying an av receiver like the denon Ave 2400 then buying the speakers separately.   I was told I'd be more future proofed this way and the sound quality would be superior. 

I did some research on the receiver and others at similar price points from Sony and Yamaha.  Which one would be the best option for a convincing surround / atmos experience?

To begin with  I notice you do the Onkyo atmos 5. 1 speaker set without the AR receiver.  Would these match up well with the receivers I mentioned?

By going this route am I going to get significantly better sound to justify the added expense? 

What added benefits will the receiver give me? 

Could you please Pm a boardsie special price for the Denon 2400 and the Onkyo Atmos speaker set.

Thanks again 

Sorry for pestering you guys yet again.  

It was suggested to me that maybe I'd be better off buying an av receiver like the denon Ave 2400 then buying the speakers separately.   I was told I'd be more future proofed this way and the sound quality would be superior. 

I did some research on the receiver and others at similar price points from Sony and Yamaha.  Which one would be the best option for a convincing surround / atmos experience?

To begin with  I notice you do the Onkyo atmos 5. 1 speaker set without the AR receiver.  Would these match up well with the receivers I mentioned?

By going this route am I going to get significantly better sound to justify the added expense? 

What added benefits will the receiver give me? 

Could you please Pm a boardsie special price for the Denon 2400 and the Onkyo Atmos speaker set.  

Thanks again 

Hi GeneticDeviant.

The Onkyo system mentioned above includes an AV receiver?

You can purchase the items (Amp and speakers) separately and built your own system.
    The Denon AVRx2400 and the Sony 1080 would be better than the Onkyo one supplied with the package. They would have many more features over the Onkyo that is supplied.

The Denon AVRX2400 is currently priced at £349.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-avrx2400.aspx

While the Sony STRDN1080 retails for £437.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202643-strdn1080.aspx

The Onkyo Atmo speaker pack is currently out of stock with both ourselves and our main warehouse. There is currently no incoming date on fresh stock just yet.
    Depending on which receiver you go for depends on which features you will get. The likes of the Denon incorporates Denon's heos into their system.

At the moment the best price on the Denon would be the listed £349.00 as it has been reduced just before Saint Patrick's day.

Might there be another set of speakers that you might have seen that could suit?

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.