Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on sending a box of old items to Canada from Ireland

Options
  • 06-03-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on sending approx 20kg of old personal belongings (old clothes, shoes, some small gift items, some electronics (headphones etc.)) to Canada (Ontario to be precise) from Ireland?

Is An Post the best value/safest courier to use or is there a lesser known courier you would recommend?

Also, am I liable for customs even though all items in box are used and have no tags on them or are not in the original packaging. Or any tips to avoid/lower the possibility of customs charge.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I don't have much advice about couriers but anything entering Canada is liable to customs charges even if it's used. Be aware that customs can't be quite slow too, it's sometimes taken more than 2 weeks for items to clear customs (and Canada Post can be quite slow too).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

I don't have much advice about couriers but anything entering Canada is liable to customs charges even if it's used. Be aware that customs can't be quite slow too, it's sometimes taken more than 2 weeks for items to clear customs (and Canada Post can be quite slow too).

I see okay thanks, thats a shame on how slow it can be also. Is it a set fee for customs or do you know what the charge would be if the package is valued at about €80-100 max. Or any links with information would be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have sent several boxes of personal possessions to family member in western canada, marked as personal property with senders address - so obviously not from a store. Through An Post / Canada Post. No customs charges, does take a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

minikin wrote: »
    Have sent several boxes of personal possessions to family member in western canada, marked as personal property with senders address - so obviously not from a store. Through An Post / Canada Post. No customs charges, does take a while though.

Great thanks, ill give it a go then with An Post and fingers crossed no customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

I sent two boxes to my son in Vancouver with An Post and each item took around 10 days.Mark on the box what the contents are,also dont spend any extra money on tracking the item as Canada Post will not scan box at their side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement