Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route 139 bus service connecting Naas and Blanchardstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

L1011 wrote: »
    Other operators already appear on RTPI. Cop out answer likely given by someone who didn't know what the real one is

I was thinking there might be others alright. Do you know which ones so that I can point it out to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aircoach I'm fairly certain for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Great start to the service for me!

I stopped the 19.05 bus at the post office in naas there, asked for a single to clane, driver told me he can't drop me in clane, even though he's going through it, so now I have to get a taxi for 15 to follow behind the bus! Couldn't make it up, only in Ireland

Due to the pre-existing local service they cannot give a licence for this to do local drops around there. Quite standard around the world, except the few countries with fully deregulated services. And in those countries, services like this wouldn't exist.

So completely and utterly not "only in Ireland". That phrase can almost always be taken to mean "I have no idea if this is normal but I don't like it and haven't done any research"

Do you not think it as absolutely mad that, while infringing on a route, that has finished by the above time, the driver cannot pick up a customer on the same route, thus losing out on profits, so that nobody wins?

• Advertisement

EU regulations. If there's regulated, subsidised transport this happens.

EU regulations. If there's regulated, subsidised transport this happens.

Didn't answer the question!

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Do you not think it as absolutely mad that, while infringing on a route, that has finished by the above time, the driver cannot pick up a customer on the same route, thus losing out on profits, so that nobody wins?

It is mad. Not only are they missing out on revenue, customers are being denied a service.

I could understand if they couldn't pick up during times when the competing service is operating, but outside that makes no sense.

Aircoach I'm fairly certain for starters

I had a look on rtpi.ie and can't find Aircoach buses. I can't find any of the other JJ Kavangh services either, e.g. Waterford city, Newbridge to Kilcullen etc. Ironically JJ Kavanagh have an "rtpi" section on their website for the latter, but I'm not sure it's real time, or just repeating the timetable.

Have seen Aircoach services on the Westmoreland Street signs before but guess what? Can't find a sodding one on the web.

It may have been a test or something but its a definite backwards step. AVL infrastructure isn't cheap but the NTA are going to need to have their own under a tendering regime.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    It is mad. Not only are they missing out on revenue, customers are being denied a service.

I could understand if they couldn't pick up during times when the competing service is operating, but outside that makes no sense.

Plus they're not competing services, they're both jj Kavanagh buses! Only in Ireland :pac:

Plus they're not competing services, they're both jj Kavanagh buses! Only in Ireland :pac:

I know what you're saying, but they're licensed separately, but with regard to each other.

It's bugs the sh*t out of me that if I arrive late into Dublin airport I have to get a taxi to Leixlip because the many buses that pass out the N4 to places like Ballina from the airport won't (can't) drop off at their N4 stops. Pick-up only.

I know what you're saying, but they're licensed separately, but with regard to each other.

It's bugs the sh*t out of me that if I arrive late into Dublin airport I have to get a taxi to Leixlip because the many buses that pass out the N4 to places like Ballina from the airport won't (can't) drop off at their N4 stops. Pick-up only.

Could work out cheaper to get them to Maynooth, where they are allowed drop off airport-origin traffic (only) and get a hack back.

Could work out cheaper to get them to Maynooth, where they are allowed drop off airport-origin traffic (only) and get a hack back.

TBH, I bypass all the hassle and just get someone to collect me from the airport. I'm happier too not to use a dysfunctional system. Vote with my wallet and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Great start to the service for me!

I stopped the 19.05 bus at the post office in naas there, asked for a single to clane, driver told me he can't drop me in clane, even though he's going through it, so now I have to get a taxi for 15 to follow behind the bus! Couldn't make it up, only in Ireland
    it says "Pick-up only" for Clane, so I'm not really sure what you were expecting.

I saw my first one of these buses this morning. At 9:32 the bus scheduled for 9:38 passed the Leixlip Captain's Hill stop :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I saw my first one of these buses this morning. At 9:32 the bus scheduled for 9:38 passed the Leixlip Captain's Hill stop :eek::eek:

I saw my first 139 outside Intel on Thursday morning.

The display only had 139 and JJ Kavanagh lit up...no destination display.

Hope there wo't be any foreign tourists looking for this service heading in a certain direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Liffey Champion report state that Route 139 has changed.Bus goes onto Lucan village and continue on via Laraghcon to Blanchardstown.Reason for change is Cpoe bridge in Confey has a weight limit of 3.5 tons.Kavanaghs bus weighs 10.8 tons.

Liffey Champion report state that Route 139 has changed.Bus goes onto Lucan village and continue on via Laraghcon to Blanchardstown.Reason for change is Cpoe bridge in Confey has a weight limit of 3.5 tons.Kavanaghs bus weighs 10.8 tons.

FFS. We had public transport in Confey that ran after 9pm on Sundays and we blew it (if true).

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

FFS. We had public transport in Confey that ran after 9pm on Sundays and we blew it (if true).
    saw it around laraghcon yesterday evening.
    wonder will there be any confusion since it will now overlap the 239 route for a bit?

• Advertisement

saw it around laraghcon yesterday evening.

:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Seriously bad planning if that's true

One of the local councillors has confirmed the weight restriction is to stop HGVs bypassing the M50 toll.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of the local councillors has confirmed the weight restriction is to stop HGVs bypassing the M50 toll.
    But there's no weight restriction on the bridge in Lucan???

kbannon wrote: »
    But there's no weight restriction on the bridge in Lucan???

I'm guessing the preferred route for HGVs before the M50 was via Cope Bridge. According to same councillor it was the gardai that instated the weight restriction as part of traffic management, and has nothing to do with the capability of the bridge itself. I'm not sure if it was the gardai myself, or if it was KCC.

From tomorrow the 139 is back on its original route.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Airliner

Hi, does anyone know where the bus stop is for the 139 on Monreid Avenue in Naas, is it near Gym Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Airliner wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where the bus stop is for the 139 on Monreid Avenue in Naas, is it near Gym Plus?

I’d say it’s on the Sallins Road at Applegreen. I wouldn’t say it goes down Monread Ave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Pushpen

Has anyone tried to use a Rambler Leap Card on this service, or does it always charge a fare even when using leap card?
    Wondering if I take it from Naas to Leixlip, and then take another bus from Leixlip to City Center; will I get charged separately for both journeys. Only asking because 1 day rambler only costs around 6Euros, irrespective of how many bus journeys you do during that day.

Advertisement