Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Property Market 2018

• 06-03-2018 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Just starting this thread try get some local info on buying and selling prices also current rent prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

bigpink wrote: »
    Just starting this thread try get some local info on buying and selling prices also current rent prices

Property register is the place to go for what a house made and daft to know what rental costs are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Want to hear people’s rents and from any that has bought recent or currently buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

We've been monitoring Daft for a year looking to buy but the amount of stock is so low. Any nice place is priced high and going over asking too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Not long now before we're back sipping champagne after work on Fridays and the Limerick Leader is running stories about some daft developers plans to turn Limerick into Dubai.

Not long now before we're back sipping champagne after work on Fridays and the Limerick Leader is running stories about some daft developers plans to turn Limerick into Dubai.

What's wrong with sipping Champagne on a Friday after work?

Don't see any problem with developing nice new buildings in the city. Sounds like you have something against that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Want to hear people’s rents and from any that has bought recent or currently buying

I was renting a damp,cold apartment in the caherdavin/Ennis road area until April 2017. Rent was €650, when I moved out it was rented back out at €800(don't know if legal). Friends live in a different complex fairly close by, they are currently paying €850. Both apartments similar size but both of very low standard, hard to heat, and is a state of disrepair.

I bought in Limerick early 2017, paid 105k for a three bed 1500sq ft. Needed a bit of work, which set us back 15k(including new applances).

We looked at other places which needed more work for considerably higher asking price in the same general area, one such house was looking for 135k and needed the roof replaced and had no kitchen.

That kind of information your looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

John_Mc wrote: »
    What's wrong with sipping Champagne on a Friday after work?

Don't see any problem with developing nice new buildings in the city. Sounds like you have something against that?

Yeah it's called a dose of reality.

Looks the same fools will be losing the run of themselves again in no time.

Yeah it's called a dose of reality.

Looks the same fools will be losing the run of themselves again in no time.

Maybe your reality buddy, but not for everyone else. Don't be so bitter about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

And give us your inspired opinions why not? Dubai is not a great example being built in a desert with oil money that will run out. Ireland has a lot more going for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 space_tourist

limerick broke out about eighteen months ago , it was insanely slow getting off the floor and as recent as mid 2015 you could get a four bed house in most suburbs for 200 k and less in the likes of corbally , it made no sense that galway city was 40% more expensive than limerick , the margin is now at most 20%

limerick city is incredibly strong right now and will get stronger , its still good value however relative of most other large urban areas

• Advertisement

Rents are getting scary like Dublin
    Mine is 800 split and people telling me that’s not bad

Rents are getting scary like Dublin
    Mine is 800 split and people telling me that’s not bad

Do you mean 1600 in total or 800 in total?

Have heard that there will be an apartment on the market within the next 3 week on one of the strands in Limerick, for €1400 a month, 2 bedrom

Girl who told me, works for the auctioneers/estate agents who are going to list it, but apparently there is a list of people who want it.

My mortgage & insurances total to €425 a month...scary difference

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Have heard that there will be an apartment on the market within the next 3 week on one of the strands in Limerick, for €1400 a month, 2 bedrom

Girl who told me, works for the auctioneers/estate agents who are going to list it, but apparently there is a list of people who want it.

Are you living in a 2 bed apartment in the Strand though?

We moved back down from Dublin a year ago and apartments were available in the Strang for €1200 so that's €200 increase over a year (16%).

When we were in Dublin we were paying €1700 for a very small 2 bed apartment and after we moved out that went up to €2100 for the next tenants.

Do you mean 1600 in total or 800 in total?

800 total

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Seems to people mad to live in the strands and pay crazy money

Are you living in a 2 bed apartment in the Strand though?

We moved back down from Dublin a year ago and apartments were available in the Strang for €1200 so that's €200 increase over a year (16%).

When we were in Dublin we were paying €1700 for a very small 2 bed apartment and after we moved out that went up to €2100 for the next tenants.

No i bought a house, but have lived in the strand apartments, in the past.

The apartment is on one of the strands, not entirely which complex, this listing is for.

€1400 in Limerick is depressing for rent

Sister currently saw 2 properties in Dooradoyle they gone into bidding wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Seems to people mad to live in the strands and pay crazy money

It's because they're basically the only apartments built to a decent - they're not the most amazing, premium apartments possible - standard in the city. They've proper central heating and are well insulated compared to the plethora of ice boxes with pathetic electric space heaters that were just slapped together for as cheaply as possible to be rented out to folks unfortunate enough to be stuck enough that they'll pay.

There really needs to be regulations put in place to prevent any more bad quality apartment developments in this country, the state of many apartments in all our cities is disgraceful. Electric space heaters should be banned and all new apartments should have central heating and be adequately insulated in the same way anyone building a house would do because more and more people are beginning to ditch the old Irish mentality of wanting a house in the suburbs or countryside in order to live within the city centre.

There's a disheartening lack of interest in high rise apartments in this city too. People in Dublin and Cork are finally beginning to demand the stupid height restrictions to be loosened in order to stop the destructive sprawl. Limerick is still small enough that we can avoid going down the same routes that they went and focus on creating a dense city center because Limerick is an ideally sized Irish city for many people. I think the developments down by the boardwalk are shamefully unimaginative. They could have built some beautiful high rise residential and office buildings all along that area with multiple retail units on the ground floor. This would generate good foot traffic to an area of the city that is lovely. The lack of utilisation of the river is pathetic.

We should be hiring the best international talent available to visit and analyse the city and how everything could be improved realistically and we need to stop limiting ourselves to comparing our city with other Irish cities. It's never been easier to see other cities around the world without even visiting them. We should be looking to other cities in different countries of similar sizes to see what they're doing right, what we're doing wrong and could emulate from them and build on this to plan long term future development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Madness how to people afford it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Arrival wrote: »
    We should be hiring the best international talent available to visit and analyse the city and how everything could be improved realistically and...
    And instead we have Limerick City & County Council, God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Arrival wrote: »
    It's because they're basically the only apartments built to a decent - they're not the most amazing, premium apartments possible - standard in the city. They've proper central heating and are well insulated compared to the plethora of ice boxes with pathetic electric space heaters that were just slapped together for as cheaply as possible to be rented out to folks unfortunate enough to be stuck enough that they'll pay.

There really needs to be regulations put in place to prevent any more bad quality apartment developments in this country, the state of many apartments in all our cities is disgraceful. Electric space heaters should be banned and all new apartments should have central heating and be adequately insulated in the same way anyone building a house would do because more and more people are beginning to ditch the old Irish mentality of wanting a house in the suburbs or countryside in order to live within the city centre.

There's a disheartening lack of interest in high rise apartments in this city too. People in Dublin and Cork are finally beginning to demand the stupid height restrictions to be loosened in order to stop the destructive sprawl. Limerick is still small enough that we can avoid going down the same routes that they went and focus on creating a dense city center because Limerick is an ideally sized Irish city for many people. I think the developments down by the boardwalk are shamefully unimaginative. They could have built some beautiful high rise residential and office buildings all along that area with multiple retail units on the ground floor. This would generate good foot traffic to an area of the city that is lovely. The lack of utilisation of the river is pathetic.

We should be hiring the best international talent available to visit and analyse the city and how everything could be improved realistically and we need to stop limiting ourselves to comparing our city with other Irish cities. It's never been easier to see other cities around the world without even visiting them. We should be looking to other cities in different countries of similar sizes to see what they're doing right, what we're doing wrong and could emulate from them and build on this to plan long term future development.

Unfortunately Limerick council have not produced a city masterplan or transport strategy, so urban sprawl is inevitable. The current housing plan only allows for social housing built in the city with mixed social and private out past the suburbs in coonagh (700 houses), and mungret (1000 houses), there are some smaller developments planned in the suburbs (a few dozen houses in some areas, again social housing). If the Bishops quay development goes ahead there will be approx new 40 apartments in the city, but this only makes up for the number of apartments being lost due to conversion of the mill building on Henry st into hotel space. As well as this, the bishops quay developer originally planned to build a 12 storey apartment complex but later changed this to majority office space after meeting with limerick council.

Limerick 2030 have plans to regenerate the Georgian part of the city (enough space for 1500 people), but this is based on projected city rents, meaning the council are planning on waiting on rents increasing in the city before any extra city centre hosing is allowed. The future for young professionals in this city is grim.

mdmix wrote: »
    Unfortunately Limerick council have not produced a city masterplan or transport strategy, so urban sprawl is inevitable. The current housing plan only allows for social housing built in the city with mixed social and private out past the suburbs in coonagh (700 houses), and mungret (1000 houses), there are some smaller developments planned in the suburbs (a few dozen houses in some areas, again social housing). If the Bishops quay development goes ahead there will be approx new 40 apartments in the city, but this only makes up for the number of apartments being lost due to conversion of the mill building on Henry st into hotel space. As well as this, the bishops quay developer originally planned to build a 12 storey apartment complex but later changed this to majority office space after meeting with limerick council.

Limerick 2030 have plans to regenerate the Georgian part of the city (enough space for 1500 people), but this is based on projected city rents, meaning the council are planning on waiting on rents increasing in the city before any extra city centre hosing is allowed. The future for young professionals in this city is grim.

Depressing. Absolute fools in charge. They need to prioritise population density and allow developers to create large accommodation buildings -- only if built to a standard that human beings can actually live in -- as close to the centre as possible. They should be planning for the city growing in size over the years and an important aspect of keeping up with this development is housing people without them being gouged for rents.

Honestly, there's no way that we're this incompetent as a nation, this sort of sh*t is allowed to happen. Would love to be in a position of power for a few years

Did I dream watching Nationwide and an official was asked about the future and he said get the jobs in first then build houses
    I had former neighbors who worked in. Uber so the young professional type you want in the city centre they moved out the county cause rent was getting jacked up

Did I dream watching Nationwide and an official was asked about the future and he said get the jobs in first then build houses
    I had former neighbors who worked in. Uber so the young professional type you want in the city centre they moved out the county cause rent was getting jacked up

"young professional type you want in the city centre they moved out the county cause rent was getting jacked up"

God sake, many of them would most likely love to be able to live in the very centre and be able to walk to work. The more people needlessly pushed outside the city centre the more people will be commuting in and out each day either by bus or car and this increases traffic density. The added benefit would be the increase in atmosphere and life around the centre since the more people we have living and working in it the less people are basically evacuating it come 5pm. There would be an increased demand for a variety of new businesses and activities

They carpool now not sure they all in Uber still but at least 4 foreign professionals driving into the city but can’t blame them got a nice big house in the country very cheap

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The market in Limerick is pretty depressing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The land around Castlerock in Castleconnell has been sold to a mystery developer. Building stopped there during the recession when Flemings went out of business.

The new developers need to reapply for planning permission (which had lapsed) but I've heard they plan to start building ASAP. If they stick to the original plans, there will be another 60+ houses built there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭carrickbawn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The market in Limerick is pretty depressing!

I suppose that depends on if you are buying or selling. After years of negative equity I am almost back to purchase price.
    Am happy to be putting the property back on the market soon.

Advertisement