Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

esta

• 06-03-2018 10:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭

where do I apply for an esta, there seems to be a few websites

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Be careful, there are a few "service" sites that appear similar, but charge you a big fee for assisting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The correct fee is $14, anything dearer is a scam!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Unicrons Dad

How long does it take to be granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Anything between immediately & 72 hours, after finishing the application, take a screenshot of your application number, log out & then go back in & check the status of application, you'll see either pending or approved usually

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bambay

Hi everyone, sorry for gate-crashing this thread.

pls I would like some advice with regard to my esta approval. I submitted a group application and had it approved and in the process of trying to retrieve the application to update `address while in U.S`, I created another group account/application and I don`t know whether it will affect the approved applications. I tried in vain to delete the application.

I'd be grateful if anyone can help.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think you got to this stage but if you got to the point where you paid the fee for the second application and it got approved, the first ESTA is now cancelled. It's possible to do a second ESTA application (for a passport which has a current ESTA approval) to correct an error in the first one so the system allows you to create a duplicate ESTA and if it's granted, it will simply cancel the earlier one. It won't cause any red flags or lead to hassle with immigration, there are several mistakes you can make in an ESTA application which cannot be corrected after you get approved, like putting in the wrong date of birth or the wrong expiration date for your passport and the only way to sort it out is to apply for a new one at which point the system will see duplicate ESTA approvals for the same Irish passport number and will cancel the earlier one. So it's no big deal if you managed to duplicate the original ESTA approval.

But it looks like you realised the mistake and aborted the process before paying the fee so the original ESTA will still be valid. Lots of ESTA applications are aborted midway through the procedure when people realise they don't have their credit card to hand or they're missing the passport details of one of the party, it's no big deal to abandon an application. BTW, you mentioned deleting the application, all you do is close your browser window and it's gone, simple!

Did you make a note of the original ESTA approval number? If so, go back in an attempt to retrieve that ESTA for the purposes of adding a US address for the first night. If that is successful, your original ESTA is good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bambay

Hi Coylemj,
    thanks for the detailed explanation. I did check the status of the approved application and it shows `approved`. I only realized that I created a new account when I received an email to that effect. I did not even start the application as I do not need it. I was worried as I wanted to make sure the creation of a new account does not affect an existing one. I'll abandon it as the existing one is still ok.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should a family apply on a group application or 5 individual ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

vicwatson wrote: »
    Should a family apply on a group application or 5 individual ones?

You can apply indidually or as a group - the group application will speed it up however, as you won’t have to put the same details (hotel address, payment etc) in for each application.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

I just completed the process and was approved shortly after. (with ESTA being valid until August 2020)
    We travel in couple of weeks.

Question: If I travel to US again next January (for example) and now have different hotel details, and do have onward travel (which I dont in my upcoming trip), do I need to re-apply for an ESTA with the new details (even though I already have a valid one)?

• Advertisement

There is no need to update, you are fine to travel multiple times to different destinations in the US, we have done NY & Orlando at different times on the same ESTA without making any edits or updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If your ESTA is, let's say a year old, do you need to bring proof of original acceptance when travelling again?

red sean wrote: »
    If your ESTA is, let's say a year old, do you need to bring proof of original acceptance when travelling again?

No, no need, your approved ESTA is directly linked to your passport, when going through immigration they scan your passport, all your info is available to them....unless you really want to for peace of mind but you won't be asked to provide any proof of approved ESTA

I just completed the process and was approved shortly after. (with ESTA being valid until August 2020)
    We travel in couple of weeks.

Question: If I travel to US again next January (for example) and now have different hotel details, and do have onward travel (which I dont in my upcoming trip), do I need to re-apply for an ESTA with the new details (even though I already have a valid one)?

One of the few (if not the only) fields you can change after getting ESTA approval is the address where you intend staying on the first night of your visit though as naughtysmurf has pointed out, they don't seem to care about it.

So you definitely do not need to apply for a new ESTA for your next trip while that ESTA is current but if makes you feel better, you can go into the original approval and amend the hotel details. They don't care what you plan to do in terms of onward travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Cheers for the link. Nearly got burned for $90 the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Hi guys I applied for an American esta a few months ago but stupidly ticked I had drug charges which I now know I don't.. I was obviously refused.. Is there a way of reapplying..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

locked 1 wrote: »
    Hi guys I applied for an American esta a few months ago but stupidly ticked I had drug charges which I now know I don't.. I was obviously refused.. Is there a way of reapplying..

Just reapply again...just a question...how do you now know you don’t have drug charges?

NSAman wrote: »
    Just reapply again...just a question...how do you now know you don’t have drug charges?

I don't think that's going to work

NSAman wrote: »

Went garda Station got letter from them.. Was just a fine i got it was from 20 Yr ago I couldn't remember

locked 1 wrote: »
    Went garda Station got letter from them.. Was just a fine i got it was from 20 Yr ago I couldn't remember

What does the letter from the Gardai say?

'Just a fine' is your view of the matter, it's still a conviction for possession of drugs i.e. you don't have to get a jail sentence to get barred from travelling to the US.

And I'm not sure if the US authorities buy into the principle of lapsed convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Probably best to contact the embassy directly and ask for guidance on this matter.

Cheers lads

Cheers lads

Advertisement