Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music Practicals advice

Options
  • 06-03-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm aiming to do 4 songs for the practicals, 3 on the ukulele and 1 accompanied on the guitar. I have 4 chosen and well-practiced, but I'm worried that they're too similar to each other and that I'll get marked down because of it. Does your grade get marked down if your songs are simple? I chose the following 4 songs:

Cold Little Heart - Michael Kiwanuka
    Remembering Sunday - All Time Low
    Ode to My Family - The Cranberries
    I Have a Dream - ABBA

(I was including I See Fire - Ed Sheeran before, but I think it may be too overplayed to be effective in the exam)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just to clarify, what do you mean 3 songs 'on' the ukulele.

Are you being marked on your singing or instrument playing (some people do arrangements of 'songs' on their instrument and don't sing)?

Have a look at the performance marking scheme. I think last year was the first time they released it!

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EN-24369502.pdf

It'll give you an idea of what they are looking for. They do take programme content/variety/standard into account.

Your selection seems varied enough to me! I think there'd be more of a story and variation opportunities within the Ed Sheeran one than the ABBA though, but whatever you feel comfortable with yourself.
    That Ed Sheeran one might be good if you can build it up a bit each verse (louds and softs). Going by my older ears... I never heard that Ed' Sheeran one before.
    ABBA--> I had A Dream : That's burned into a lot of music teachers ears as they've used it to learn the interval of a 7th (on "I Had"). Plus it's a very,very....very....very common one to teach with as the chords and strumming patterns are very straightforward. So if I was an elderly enough examiner and I saw this on the list I'd be very tuned in to see what you could do with it, whereas I wouldn't have those associations with Ed.

But your teacher can advise best.

Advertisement