Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on wiring apartment

Options
  • 06-03-2018 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello,

Excuse the bad terminology below.
    1. I was in apartment A using Vodafone. Happy Days.
    2. I moved to apartment B. I did the home move with Vodafone.
    3. The Home Move people said they would just transfer the internets over (someone would make the switch outside) and I just plug in my cable and go.
    4. I plugged it in and nothing worked
    5. Vodafone were offering me crazy lead times for sending someone out to take a look so I decide to cancel contract with them. Usual story... on hold for hours... person A telling me person B's fault etc.
    6. I signed up with Virgin Media
    7. A technician called out from VM. He hooked up a 'sound device' that sends a ping through on this 'black cable' inside my apartment through the wire leading into the basement internet room to connect me up to their system.
    8. The basement internet room is a mess. Wires everywhere. Total joke.
    9. We spent two hours searching through the 'black cables' to find the signal on the other end coming from the 'sound device' in my apartment. If we had found the other end of the cable everything would have been fine.
    10. No joy.
    11. The VM technician reckons it is either

A: There is a break in the wire going through the building OR
      B: The apartment was never hooked up for the internet in the first place OR
      C: We couldn't find the correct wire in the maze of wires in the basement. He is paid on commission per installation so in fairness he did his best

12. There is a different sent of 'white cables' next to the 'black cables' which are more organized. The technician said these were from Vodafone and Eir.
    13. I called Eir and they are sending a technician out in a few weeks (I'll be out of the country until then).
    14. I got the Eir modem also and tried to hook it up myself and no joy but don't have the time to ring them currently to troubleshoot so not too sure if the issues is on my end or theirs but pretty sure it is on mine.

My question for this thread is:
    If the Eir guy is unable to get me sorted and my apartment isn't hooked up correctly. Who hooks up my apartment correctly? I obviously have to do it through the management company but is it an electrician? Can the Eir guy do it? Any ideas?

Appreciate any help in advance,

K

P.S. In the meantime - I have done this to stay connected

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'll be fun for you.

You -> Landlord -> OMC -> Maintenance Guy

What you may need to do is schedule both to be there at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Foxymulder

Hi, did you get sorted? I seem to have a similar issue

Advertisement