Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help in choosing a new monitor and GPU

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ideally a GTX1070, 1070ti or 1080 coming from the old Titan.

Problem is, as you say, prices are a disgrace right now. I'd personally just hang onto your Titan, maybe consider a 2nd hand 1070 or 980Ti on adverts from a reasonable seller. Titan resale value would cover a very good chunk of that cost.

Depends which monitor as well. Obviously 3440x1440 100hz is way more demanding than 2560x1080 75hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Macker1

Ideally a GTX1070, 1070ti or 1080 coming from the old Titan.

Problem is, as you say, prices are a disgrace right now. I'd personally just hang onto your Titan, maybe consider a 2nd hand 1070 or 980Ti on adverts from a reasonable seller. Titan resale value would cover a very good chunk of that cost.

Depends which monitor as well. Obviously 3440x1440 100hz is way more demanding than 2560x1080 75hz.

Are the monitors that I listed decent choices. I would love to purchase the

ASUS ROG Strix Curved XG35VQ, 35 Inch UWQHD (3440 x 1440) but its quite expensive at €893 and apart from the wife giving out :p it would need serious grunt from a GPU to run.

At the moment the front runner is the smaller ASUS which is not ultrawide

ASUS ROG Strix Curved XG32VQ, 32 Inch (31.5 Inch) WQHD (2560 x 1440) at €616

This would be a little easier to run. I will be upgrading the GPU but it would be further down the line.

Are there other monitors I should be considering ?? I welcome any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could get a 27" G-Sync 1440p monitor for that price, e.g. Dell S2716DG

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=11939_27%7E11944_1440%7E11992_NVIDIA+G-Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they are all decent monitors that you chose but they are all freesync so you would not be able to use that feature unless you went with an AMD card
    To get G-Sync which works with Nvidia you would be looking at the more expensive monitors

Any thoughts on this monitor.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/35-acer-predator-z35p-ultra-wide-qhd-curved-100hz-nvidia-g-sync-monitor-va-3440x1440-219-4ms-100m1-d?v=c

Seems to be a very good price as its over £200 dearer on Amazon at the moment.

• Advertisement

In relation to the GPU there's little chance I would be willing to pay the extortionate prices that currently exist for top end cards. To be honest I'm not really up to date with the lie of the land when it comes to the GPU landscape. So So many cards to pick from. :confused::confused::confused:

As stated I'm currently using a NVidia GTX TITAN Black Edition card which is a good few years old. What card would I be needing to look at to gain a significant increase in performance bearing in mind I will be increasing the resolution on the monitor side of things.

I'm increasing from my current Dell which is 1920 x 1200 to at least 2560 x 1440 :) or maybe even an ultra wide 3440 x 1440 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX1070 8GB and above ideally to make it worthwhile. Your current card is similar to a GTX1060 6GB performance wise. 3440x1440 would be fine but with a fair few compromised settings, probably mostly medium settings in the heavier games to keep everything running at 60fps solid.

The sale of your Titan Black now would cover most of the cost of a 2nd hand 980Ti either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wouldn't even pay the extortionate prices for GPU's at the minute. Pascal is nearly 2 years old at this stage and cost more now than the did when they were released. Nobody knows if Nvidia will release new cards soon as they are still making money from this old architecture. But they may also be thinking out with the old and in with the new but I reckon they will be expensive if they do release them but personally I would rather pay a high price for a new card than pay a high price on a two year old card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't even pay the extortionate prices for GPU's at the minute. Pascal is nearly 2 years old at this stage and cost more now than the did when they were released. Nobody knows if Nvidia will release new cards soon as they are still making money from this old architecture. But they may also be thinking out with the old and in with the new but I reckon they will be expensive if they do release them but personally I would rather pay a high price for a new card than pay a high price on a two year old card.

A few knowledgeable youtubers seem to be saying that GP108 (GTX 1070 Ti / 1080) is out of production, which would suggest Nvidia are stockpiling their next-gen cards.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this monitor.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/35-acer-predator-z35p-ultra-wide-qhd-curved-100hz-nvidia-g-sync-monitor-va-3440x1440-219-4ms-100m1-d?v=c

Seems to be a very good price as its over £200 dearer on Amazon at the moment.

Anyone with experience of using or seeing this monitor in the flesh. ???

Amazon Uk have dropped price from £949 down to £799 so still £50 to be saved at Scan..

• Advertisement

Please help as I'm really struggling to choose a monitor.

I've narrowed it down to either one of the following

Asus Rog Strix XG35VQ

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/35-asus-xg35vq-rog-strix-100hz-freesync-curved-gaming-monitor-3440x1440-4ms-dp-hdmi?v=c

or

Acer Predator Z35P

So a choice between G-Sync or FreeSync

I'm not a huge gamer but will upgrade GPU in few months time.

Both are pushing my monitor budget to the max so please let me know what you think if you had to make a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I would go with which ever GPU you are picking up as adaptive sync is totally worth it so if Nvidia Gsync and if AMD freesync. Also the Freesync monitor has a more premium stand and look to it where as they cut corners with the gsync one ascetically anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Do curved monitors have any advantage over flat screens, or are they just a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

GPU's are starting to become available again due to some big dips in crypto, but the only ones selling close to msrp is the mid range stuff like 1050 Ti and lower. Id wait until Nvidia release Volta or whatever their next batch of cards are if you want high end.

Advertisement