Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Question

• 07-03-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys

Okay I have a unique situation. Hopefully someone can help advise.

I'v just turned 30, done a few different things in life but have decided that I'd like a career in the garda. As a school leaver, I don't have the educational requirements.

I think that I can do a leval 5 nfq instead of the leaving cert - can anyone confirm this? Does it matter what I do it in? i.e should it be relevant?

Also, being from Belfast I speak absolutely no Irish but I have basic knowledge of French.

I know there's a recruitment drive in April - and obviously I won't get in. Should I apply anyway?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Irishman1357

I'm also worried about my age - 30. I know that my time is limited as they won't met me in after 35 - isn't this right? I'm just worried that I won't get in and and spend the next 5 years trying in vain!

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Heya, the Public Appointments Service would be the best place to ask about a Level 5. Afaik they are accepted in lieu of a leaving cert but you might need distinctions/merits or something in each component (that last bit is only a guess) I'd definitely ring and ask before you sign up to one.

As for which one, maybe something social sciences or legal or fitness or community related. But again check with the PAS.

What I do know is that some of them can be done online or by distance learning, so you could potentially be finished in 4-6months, if you put your mind to it.

As for the language, if you have some French I would be signing up to Leaving Cert or A Level French at ordinary or higher level (I don't know which level you need) and busting a gut between now and June to pass. Think that would be easier than doing the Irish exam from scratch.

Could also leave you in a position to be ready for the next recruitment drive. (If it's in say Sept)

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Oh on the age front, yes the guards is 35 but the PSNI is 57, if that's something you'd be interested in.

Thanks fella! Great help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement