Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting route advice - Fairview to Ballsbridge

Options
  • 07-03-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Morning all,

Could anyone advise on the most sensible route to commute into Ballsbridge from North of the river? I'm coming from Portmarnock and I'll use the cycle path as far as Fairview, but from that point onwards I'm not sure on the best option (from a self-preservation point of view, I'm not fussed about shortest possible distance). I'm guessing that Samuel Beckett looks like the best bridge to come across, but could do East Link if better. This is the route I'm looking at:

https://goo.gl/maps/KbWZnVBbz4Q2

All advice gratefully received! I'll be on a road bike, but if any proposed routes require N+1 I'm fine with that :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I go East Link every day. Usually the traffic is so bad on east wall road that you can pick your way through easily. When the traffic is flowing its a wide single lane road. I avoid the toll by going through the wall into Ringsend. Never had an issue with this part of my route.

Edit - see you're on a road bike, you'll need puncture resistant tyres, I ran schwalbe marathon pluses in 28mm width on my road bike as road past the 3arena is filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just wondering why you've chosen the Clontarf route versus Coolock. I usedd to go from Clongriffin to Grand Canal area and found the handiest was just straight in the Malahide Road and left onto Seville Place to go across Sam Beckett bridge. There's a bus lane & cycle lane the whole way so you're fairly well protected from traffic - the coast road can be horrible if it's windy.

Either way from Fairview I'd probably go Beckett bridge rather than East link - but try each way a few times to see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

That's the route I'd take

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Yes, I might do Malahide Road if there's a strong headwind, I've done the coast road a few times in the wind and it wasn't too pleasant (fun when I turned around though!)

Thanks, Ferris, for the advice re: road surface - I'm after an N+1 that can take wider tyres and would look at puncture-resistant ones. The bike I was going to use in the meantime is my bike for club spins so not ideal to be too compromised on the tyre front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Morning all,

Could anyone advise on the most sensible route to commute into Ballsbridge from North of the river? I'm coming from Portmarnock and I'll use the cycle path as far as Fairview, but from that point onwards I'm not sure on the best option (from a self-preservation point of view, I'm not fussed about shortest possible distance). I'm guessing that Samuel Beckett looks like the best bridge to come across, but could do East Link if better. This is the route I'm looking at:

https://goo.gl/maps/KbWZnVBbz4Q2

All advice gratefully received! I'll be on a road bike, but if any proposed routes require N+1 I'm fine with that :D

I travel from Portmarnock as far as Fairview and follow the route you've shown. And when I have an appointment in St.Vincent's I would take the route you showed. It's a good route, the main area of concern is the road from Portmarnock to Baldoyle which can be troublesome. Take a position well out from the side of the road and you should be fine.

I would also avoid the east link bridge, I used to commute over it from the south side, north to Fairview, and I never liked it. It's quite hostile and the roads leading to and from the bridge are busy with heavy good vehicles. Maybe others perception of the route isn't as bad as mine however.

As for why to avoid Coolock/Malahide road. For me at least I find the cycle lane from Baldoyle down to Fairview is fantastic and well worth the detour for. It's a straight run in with little chance of having to stop. However given the distance of your commute OP, travelling the Malahide road would cut a couple of KM off your total distance so it could be worth it.

As for tyres, I suppose my commute doesn't take me through the worst of Dublin city, but GP4000s are a favourite of mine. I used to cycle straight through the centre of town on them and found them excellent. And they're still a lovely grippy tyre and not too heavy.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Alanstrainor. I'm out to Howth a lot so I'm well used to the Portmarnock to Baldoyle stretch (admittedly not at 8am) Not pleasant, but at least I know it well.

I'm running 25mm 4-seasons on the winter bike at the moment, have always found them great but I'll see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I'm after an N+1 that can take wider tyres and would look at puncture-resistant ones.

I have a Kona Paddywagon drop bar single speed for Dublin commuting - great bike, good gearing and ideal on flat ground and slight inclines (e.g. Fairview through Marino).
    I'd heartily recommend it if you're looking at N+1 - steel frame with lifetime warranty, comes with 700x30 tyres and is available at just under €500 from cyclestore.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I have a Kona Paddywagon drop bar single speed for Dublin commuting - great bike, good gearing and ideal on flat ground and slight inclines (e.g. Fairview through Marino).
    I'd heartily recommend it if you're looking at N+1 - steel frame with lifetime warranty, comes with 700x30 tyres and is available at just under €500 from cyclestore.ie

I also bought this bike from the very same site, love it for zipping around town - and I think it has helped my form on the road bike too

Its a great price, Reynolds tubes as well. I'm just undecided whether I'm man enough to get along the cycle path into a headwind on a singlespeed! :D

Its a great price, Reynolds tubes as well. I'm just undecided whether I'm man enough to get along the cycle path into a headwind on a singlespeed! :D

I did it for 6 months when I moved to Portmarnock. It was pretty bad, I had to change my freewheel gear to something easier (it had been a tiny cog to be fair). I used that bike for 6 years before then as my commuter, covering huge mileage on it through Dublin. But that stretch down the coast made me think it was time for a new bike. It is doable, but not the perfect bike for the job.

• Advertisement

Leaning towards this Vitus Energie CX bike although I'm eligible for BTW again and Chain Reaction isn't on their list, so I'll look at a few other things as well

Leaning towards this Vitus Energie CX bike although I'm eligible for BTW again and Chain Reaction isn't on their list, so I'll look at a few other things as well

I did consider a CX bike when I was looking. But decided to get a road frame in the end. A giant contend sl 2 disc. Discs front and back were a big plus for me, and everything else has worked out great so far. There's a lot of similar bikes for that money, so plenty of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to go from Fairview south all the time, and I avoided the East Link. I haven't done it in years, but the EL used to be pretty unpleasant to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably depends on the time you cross - i've mentioned before that i go north-south on it at about 7am and it's usually fine. i couldn't tell you what it's like at 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you do go over the Sam Beckett, follow the on-path cycle track round the corner and go up Forbes St, across Grand Canal Dock and up by Google on Barrow St. Macken St by the Theatre is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

- I'm after an N+1 that can take wider tyres and would look at puncture-resistant ones....
    For that short flat commute I'd be going for a single speed with solid tyres - great piece of mind and no need for any accessories/tools as such.

A headwind on the Sutton Clontarf can be taxing at times but it's only a few kms. You have the option of changing the gearing if required. I went from a 48/16 to a 48/17 but it's difficult to take advantage of a taiwind if the gearing is too low.

Just to follow up on this, I've been doing the commute for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with the route (going the canal side of the theatre & past Google rather than Macken St, thanks Andrew)

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

What bike did you go for in the end?

What bike did you go for in the end?

Ha ha, the important question. I'm still prevaricating, at the moment I'm using my road bike with 25mm Conti 4 seasons which is great for 95% of the route, not so good for the other 5%. I'm sure I could just carry on with it, but as I can use BTW again I'll probably get something that can take wider tyres. I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Just to follow up on this, I've been doing the commute for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with the route (going the canal side of the theatre & past Google rather than Macken St, thanks Andrew)

out of interest do you go home the same route? I currently cross East Link at 9:15ish and it's not too bad but coming back across at around 5:45 it ain't pretty so am interested in alternatives which don't involve Amiens st! starting from Leeson st and aiming for the coast path I usually head along the canal then up South Lotts rd and across onto the East Link beside the toll.

• Advertisement

Yes, exactly the same route in reverse on the way home. I'm doing the city part between 5:30 and 6, mostly fine, East Wall Road is a bit of a logjam but there's usually room to get past the cars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I currently cross East Link at 9:15ish and it's not too bad but coming back across at around 5:45 it ain't pretty
    which way do you approach the east link?
    this is the way i go in the evenings:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3368178,-6.2183084/53.3473908,-6.2272906/@53.3417771,-6.225734,15.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Which way do you go when you have crossed over the Smauel bridge?

Could you update your map route??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

same, I also join from Thorncastle st. I tend to change my route from time to time when I eventually get fed up of bad road surfaces / particular conflict points etc. the roundabout at the 3 arena and the stretch along there to East Wall rd in particular are really annoying me these days.
    that's not helped by me getting a blowout on my good bike on the roundabout a couple of weeks ago when a truck coming from along the quays decided he didn't need to stop for me coming from his right, so I ended up swerving into a massive pothole which promptly blew a hole in the side of the tyre :mad:

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Which way do you go when you have crossed over the Smauel bridge?

Could you update your map route??
    Here's the updated route:

https://goo.gl/maps/oy1kmUQLDW72

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Cheers.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Interesting the different routes people prefer, I do a very similar route, and also bypass Macken street, but since the building work and state of the roads have changed the Ballsbridge end to Northumberland Road, canal and clanwilliam terrace. Cobbles aren’t great but otherwise it’s much better road wise, especially on way home.

I know a lot of people prefer east link, but I just can’t get on with that route at all.

Like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/dCZ4VTYyzGv

Looks good, I much prefer Northumberland Road to Shelbourne Road and sometimes cut across to it via Burlington Road, but your route looks much more sensible than doing that. And cobbles are good, gives further justification to myself that a new bike is needed!

copacetic wrote: »
    I know a lot of people prefer east link, but I just can’t get on with that route at all.
    one of the reasons i find myself on the east link is that strand road is usually a reasonable road to cycle - no crossing junctions and you've got the sea on one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/dCZ4VTYyzGv

Looks good, I much prefer Northumberland Road to Shelbourne Road and sometimes cut across to it via Burlington Road, but your route looks much more sensible than doing that. And cobbles are good, gives further justification to myself that a new bike is needed!

I take a fairly similar route, except I use Fairview/Seville Place rather than East Wall, and have always used Macken St. Never even considered GCD! Would it not be very slow with all the pedestrians at grand canal square? Or is there some sort of cycle path there?

Advertisement