Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting route advice - Fairview to Ballsbridge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

There's no bike path, but quite a lot of room and as there's a Dublin Bikes dock there, pedestrians seem well used to bikes. I take it very slowly, staying on the canal side and giving way to any pedestrians, but its such a short stretch it doesn't really make much difference to my journey time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so this evening i came home via ringsend/macken street/beckett bridge/sherriff street/east road, and onto east wall.
    maybe it's a case of 'better the devil you know', but i'm not keen to repeat that. at least with crossing the east link, the bad traffic is usually just on the east link and east wall road till you pass the point village, but this evening, traffic was bedlam turning right off pearse street, and all along macken street and cardiff lane.
    didn't help that i took a right too early then, but in general it just felt far more congested and stop starty than my usual route.

also, it was quite irritating to see most cyclists ignoring red lights on that route. crossing from the beckett bridge onto guild street, i was the only one of six cyclists who didn't break the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

so this evening i came home via ringsend/macken street/beckett bridge/sherriff street/east road, and onto east wall.
    maybe it's a case of 'better the devil you know', but i'm not keen to repeat that. at least with crossing the east link, the bad traffic is usually just on the east link and east wall road till you pass the point village, but this evening, traffic was bedlam turning right off pearse street, and all along macken street and cardiff lane.
    didn't help that i took a right too early then, but in general it just felt far more congested and stop starty than my usual route.

also, it was quite irritating to see most cyclists ignoring red lights on that route. crossing from the beckett bridge onto guild street, i was the only one of six cyclists who didn't break the red.

I'd suggest 2 quick changes to improve that.

1 - Turn right at Grand Canal Street, coming onto the cycle path as Rogerson's Quay and use the path till you get over the bridge.

2 - Turn right down the quays at the end of the bridge, turn left then up New Wapping Street to take you up to East Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    1 - Turn right at Grand Canal Street, coming onto the cycle path as Rogerson's Quay and use the path till you get over the bridge.
    you mean onto erne street?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

you mean onto erne street?

Through the square and straight down Forbes Street. Take it handy down the 400m mixed pedestrian section but it's much quicker, stress free and less stop-start than going down Cardiff Lane.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.34244,-6.2387959/53.3459656,-6.2379994/@53.3441285,-6.2411492,17z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/dCZ4VTYyzGv

Looks good, I much prefer Northumberland Road to Shelbourne Road and sometimes cut across to it via Burlington Road, but your route looks much more sensible than doing that. And cobbles are good, gives further justification to myself that a new bike is needed!

That’s it exactly, might swap back when all building work is finished. The fecking builders never look before stepping out from behind all their parked vans on way back from the coffee shop to building site. I’d nearly crashed into about 10 of them by the time I switched routes.

My route brings me from Portland row/Seville place direction also

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Like this?

https://goo.gl/maps/dCZ4VTYyzGv

Looks good, I much prefer Northumberland Road to Shelbourne Road and sometimes cut across to it via Burlington Road, but your route looks much more sensible than doing that. And cobbles are good, gives further justification to myself that a new bike is needed!

And you get the pleasure of the 'tram only' section along the Luas line at Spencer Dock, where you can count the trucks, vans and cars ignoring the 'tram only' rules all the time.

There are pedestrian lights, then cycle lights, then the actual lights. It can be a bit of a free for all! Mostly cyclist go on cycle lights when on road, it’s a bit vague if that’s ok I guess. Coming from the grand canal dock route as outlined above you’ll be on the east side of bridge cycle track which is busy but an easier cycle. Macken street/Cardiff lane is a disaster, it’s the same in a car also

hmm; still not seeing much benefit to avoiding the east link. this is the only section which is slow (if approaching northbound from strand road, and going via the church in ringsend and thorncastle street) - many of the above options still drop you onto east wall road but the bit you're missing out is the wasy bit.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3449858,-6.2274839/53.349919,-6.2269156/@53.3468179,-6.229224,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

hmm; still not seeing much benefit to avoiding the east link. this is the only section which is slow (if approaching northbound from strand road, and going via the church in ringsend and thorncastle street) - many of the above options still drop you onto east wall road but the bit you're missing out is the wasy bit.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3449858,-6.2274839/53.349919,-6.2269156/@53.3468179,-6.229224,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Personally I just don’t like it, but also I’m heading toward grace park road, so need to get back toward that direction anyway which makes it an easier call I guess.

• Advertisement

i go up griffith avenue past the grace park road junction - sometimes i go east wall road - fairview - phillipsburgh avenue; more often east wall road; alfie byrne road; malahide road and onto griffith avenue.

i go up griffith avenue past the grace park road junction - sometimes i go east wall road - fairview - phillipsburgh avenue; more often east wall road; alfie byrne road; malahide road and onto griffith avenue.

Weird the different routes people prefer, on way in I’m always Philipsburgh -Portland row-Seville place - new bridge.

Advertisement