Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs LFC - Kick-off 10 Mar, 12:30 - Buildup and Matchthread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ye are leaving the thread open for three days before the match?

Bunch of sadomasochists :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Can I be de-modded for 3 days?

Please, and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

SlickRic wrote: »
    Can I be de-modded for 3 days?

Please, and thank you.
    Did not know you were still here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Plenty of cards, bans, bitching, moaning and grown men arguing and thats just the match thread.

First person to post a combined Utd/Pool XI gets a free prize*

prize maybe a ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

tenor.gif?itemid=5468771
    How I imagine this thread to be after lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jose parking the bus for a nil nil.

<paging Mick to the thread>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Here’s an insight for posters into the moderation team training this morning, in preparation for Saturday’s match thread

redcardgif.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Here’s an insight for posters into the moderation team training this morning, in preparation for Saturday’s match thread

redcardgif.gif

And after training it'll still be

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif?ssl=1
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I hate Liverpool, that's my contribution. :)

Hope it helps smooth things along in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Whatever the result, I just hope all the players have a lovely day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Liverpool have played far better football of late, but Jose does manage to get results in games like these. So i'd say a score draw.

And a draw will suit Spurs just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    First person to post a combined Utd/Pool XI gets a free prize*

prize maybe a ban

Is there a need to post it? Clearly it's the Liverpool team and De Gea ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I do not even want to look at this thread till match day..

That said I will be refreshing it every 5 mins :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can't see this being an exciting game unfortunately. None of the games between United & Liverpool have been since Jose came in. All drab affairs with 2 goals scored in 3 games - a penalty and another which was hotly debatable at the time as it involved an uncalled offside decision. Won't be expecting many goals again this time as it will be nullify > open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Yikes thread open very early! LFC to win 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This game’s match thread being left open for 3 days before a match again kind of shows the lack of traffic this forum gets these days.

Even last year if you opened this games thread 3 days before a game it would be locked within minutes till a couple of hours before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ZoEd3xN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Exclusive peek at United preparations..

file-photo-dated-211015-of-a-double-decker-bus-on-the-production-line-K0GTN0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Shades of 2009 match. I was in OT for it. It was the greatest and the worse for me. Destroying united 4 one. But was in with the home supporters.

I'm more confident of winning this match than I was in 2009. But it's united, plus Mourinho. Form goes out of the window with these, plus Mourinho plays a certain "style". Would Liverpool supporters be more confident than united about this match? Would that be a fair comment? Anyway we'll have the craic lads... And.. Eh...I come in peace me bollix!

emo72 wrote: »
    Shades of 2009 match. I was in OT for it. It was the greatest and the worse for me. Destroying united 4 one. But was in with the home supporters.

I'm more confident of winning this match than I was in 2009. But it's united, plus Mourinho. Form goes out of the window with these, plus Mourinho plays a certain "style". Would Liverpool supporters be more confident than united about this match? Would that be a fair comment? Anyway we'll have the craic lads... And.. Eh...I come in peace me bollix!

You would swear United were 20 points behind in 7th place the way you’re going on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm going with a low score draw. 1-1 in all likelihood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think Liverpool will flatter to deceive and United to win 2-0. Something like the Chelsea game in 16/17.

Would not be surprised to see Liverpool still end up above United though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just hope the team that plays the most attractive football wins and enjoys their trip back to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A dire draw like the last few matches in this fixture.

Finishing let down Liverpool in the last few fixtures but there is no fear of that this time.

All eyes on Van Dijk and Karius.

Liverpool's midfield will out work United's but they will be very stubborn to break down. United can be dangerous on the break as they showed in the emirates earlier this season.

Don't see Jose throwing caution to the wind, Liverpool have shown they can press and beat any team that tries to play attacking football against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Martin Tyler to quietly commentate on a Salah wonder goal while proceeds to blow his load to a Lukaku tap in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There will be a match and there will be a result.

While I'm sure there will be plenty of tension on the morning of the game right now it feels rather inert. Given the points spread none of the outcomes will decide much if anything in all likelihood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thread feels like a trap.

• Advertisement

Another classic I'd say. Mourinho will see to that.

Guaranteed 0-0 and everyone is somehow shocked Jose contributed to yet another big match stalemate bore of a 90 minutes.

At least we’ll get to see Sanchez and Pogba as corner backs.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Another classic I'd say. Mourinho will see to that.

Mourinho has seemed to be bigging up the occasion too with his comments before the Chelsea game.

It's a huge game for both clubs and has the makings to be a classic. Only 2 points between the teams, two big characters as managers, contrasting styles of football, some great attacking players on display and both teams having some proneness to individual errors. All that coupled with the history and rivalry would lead you to believe it could be a great game (for a neutral at least).

However like always there is this feeling, and big possibility, that despite the ingredients for a classic we may get treated to a dull 0-0 instead.

Guaranteed 0-0 and everyone is somehow shocked Jose contributed to yet another big match stalemate bore of a 90 minutes.

At least we’ll get to see Sanchez and Pogba as corner backs.

If United manage to keep a clean sheet against this Pool attack while playing Sanchez and Pogba as corner backs then maybe José is more tactically gifted than I give him credit for.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Mourinho has seemed to be bigging up the occasion too with his comments before the Chelsea game.

It's a huge game for both clubs and has the makings to be a classic. Only 2 points between the teams, two big characters as managers, contrasting styles of football, some great attacking players on display and both teams having some proneness to individual errors. All that coupled with the history and rivalry would lead you to believe it could be a great game (for a neutral at least).

However like always there is this feeling, and big possibility, that despite the ingredients for a classic we may get treated to a dull 0-0 instead.

I don't think it's a huge game at all. Both clubs can afford to lose. Obviously they won't want to, but there's not a massive amount riding on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

there's not a massive amount riding on this.

Agree here, although I still feel like it's a big game, because bragging rights.

If Liverpool don't win, I won't feel like it's the end of the world. In the grand scheme of things, United v Liverpool usually has more to play for than "who gets 2nd spot but still definitely won't win the league".

More than likely a bore 0-0 or one side will nick a winner. Feels like a million years since one of these games was actually entertaining for anybody.

• Advertisement

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    <paging Mick to the thread>

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's a huge game for both clubs and has the makings to be a classic.

Is it though? Both sides are miles behind the league leaders but both are likely to finish top 4 I feel even if they lose on Saturday. So apart from some local bragging rights there probably isn't much at stake beyond that.

I don't think it's a huge game at all. Both clubs can afford to lose. Obviously they won't want to, but there's not a massive amount riding on this.
    Agree here, although I still feel like it's a big game, because bragging rights.

If Liverpool don't win, I won't feel like it's the end of the world. In the grand scheme of things, United v Liverpool usually has more to play for than "who gets 2nd spot but still definitely won't win the league".

More than likely a bore 0-0 or one side will nick a winner. Feels like a million years since one of these games was actually entertaining for anybody.
    Is it though? Both sides are miles behind the league leaders but both are likely to finish top 4 I feel even if they lose on Saturday. So apart from some local bragging rights there probably isn't much at stake beyond that.

My last reply didn't send so this may be shorter.

I understand that opinion, that it's only bragging rights up for grabs and top 4 is sewn up. Maybe I'm a bit more pessimistic or a worrier when it comes to it though and feel there is still time for plenty of twists, purely dependent on how Chelsea and Spurs do though.

Say both win this weekend. If Pool lose they drop to 4th, 4 points ahead of Chelsea but still need to make the trip to Stamford Bridge later in the season. If United lose down to 3rd, 6 points ahead of Chelsea but with Man City and Arsenal to come. And no matter how poor Arsenal have been this United squad hasn't been great and could be easily bet.

In my eyes if either team loses this week they may find themselves drawn into a great deal of bother and have a nervy end to the season. Will all depend on if Spurs and Chelsea can win their games and how Pool and United do however. They may well be safe, but personally would feel a lot safer picking up points this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

United have a bigger game next week against Sevilla so I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho rests a few players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FatherTed wrote: »
    United have a bigger game next week against Sevilla so I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho rests a few players.

No chance. He was blathering on about the Liverpool game a week ago. Plus if you win it's always a handy one to get the fans on your side. Would be very suprised if he doesn't send his best team out there.

• Advertisement

If United manage to keep a clean sheet against this Pool attack while playing Sanchez and Pogba as corner backs then maybe José is more tactically gifted than I give him credit for.

Not when he also plays the actual corner backs beside them too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Its a game that justifies people like Mourinho - doesn't give a **** that his team do not play the most attractive football, that they look pityful v smaller teams, that his players look disinterested since the league chase was over - these games he wins ugly at 1-0 and all is forgiven, he's a genius and the bus rolls on.

It doesn't mean alot in regard the chase for the top4 per se. Both would be happy not to lose methinks. I still think both will be safely in the Top4 regardless.

If Liverpool win the Klopp way it'll be a fantastic vindication of him as a manager and the style they play, more so cos they'd go ahead of United in points and merit.

... which is why i am pretty sure it'll be a draw. cos Jose has a knack for these things doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No matter what happens' on Saturday both teams will drop more points before the season is out,  Id imagine both Mangers would be happy with a draw only issue being Klopp doesn't know how to play to get one,
    First goal is massive in this one, If United get it they will sit in and win 1 or 2 nil , If Liverpool get it United will have to attack and Liverpool will pick them off, So expect a very cagey game with both set's of full back staying at home until someone gets a goal .,

Haven’t seen much of Liverpool at all this season but LiveScore gives me the impression that they are usually very dangerous in the first half and not so much in the second.
    Would that be accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Handy 3 points for

>Wait for it

Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Haven’t seen much of Liverpool at all this season but LiveScore gives me the impression that they are usually very dangerous in the first half and not so much in the second.
    Would that be accurate?

1st half 29 - 13
    2nd half 38 - 19

Looks like Liverpool score and concede more in the second half than the first on average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would that be accurate?
    that's pretty fair they start very quick but since the start of the year they seem to be a bit more patient which has been nice to see ,I think the key is to stop fun time Bobby, If Firmino has a good game Liverpool run riot ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It will be interesting to see the set up of both teams and the small little tactical pieces that will try to be exposed.

Pre-Christmas, the tactics from Jose attacking wise could have been for United to try beat Liverpool's press and send balls up to Lukaku to try dominate TAA/Gomez/Matip/Lovren in the air, and possibly Moreno too as he was playing a lot then.

I think with VVD in there now, it is not such an enticing prospect for United. He is so dominant. he might not win 10/10 balls against Lukaku, that's just not possible, but he will win a lot of them 50/50 duels IMO. The out-ball that United have used against Liverpool a lot recently in these games (Ibra vs Matip & Clyne, Ibra & Fellaini vs TAA & Lovren and finally Lukaku vs Matip & Gomez) I don't think will work as well as it did, especially last year when that ball was on a lot. I know Gomez is not the best at defending back posts headers so ye may try target him (or TAA if he plays) again but VVD will be there to back him up and will not get as much joy at all.

Possibly United will try attack space in behind channels with pace in Martial & Sanchez but Sanchez is not a lad to run into space. He is coming deep for United and turning on the ball and passing it (losing it a lot) but he is not playing on shoulders of defenders whereas Martial can, and possibly Lingard too. Maybe try attack through the middle with Sanchez trying to get joy out of Henderson's lesser ability to be mobile.

On the other hand, we all know Liverpool love to win the ball up high and play havoc too, but I think they are getting better against teams that sit deep against them too. They are gaining more weapons in their arsenal.

Also, whether United play 2 or 3 in midfield, I think Ox will play in order to target Pogba. Mainly this is because he comes into midfield from the right hand side with driving runs. Think he would love to run into the space left by Pogba as he is not disciplined enough. Salah will be on that side too, also making use of that space. Hopefully Fun Bobby can get around Matic - think that will be a key battle also.

1st half 29 - 13
    2nd half 38 - 19

Looks like Liverpool score and concede more in the second half than the first on average

Might just be the games I’ve been keeping an eye on so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Liverpool easy 0-4 victors

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement