Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs LFC - Kick-off 10 Mar, 12:30 - Buildup and Matchthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Nokotan wrote: »
    SO many things just didn't fall Liverpool's way today, passes missed by inches, some great defending from Man United. Young giving Salah nothing by basically being up his arse all day, nibbling away at him, not giving him a moment's rest.

Referee was pretty awful, some really basic errors at times like the Sanchez non-yellow and a pretty clear penalty and subsequent red for Young for a foul on Salah.

Just one of those days for Liverpool. Easy to say Liverpool dominated and possibly deserved a draw but they were allowed do that. There seemed to be a decision from United to let Mane have a lot more space than the likes of Firmino, knowing he's less likely to play a killer pass.

I think United's physicality was massive in this game, especially for the two goals.

In that case Lovren should have been off as well for two challenges on Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Klopp treated the game like a cup final

So that's why they lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

niallo27 wrote: »
    Utd defended really well in fairness limited Liverpool to very little. I don't usually talk about refs but thought he was out of his depth today and let utd get away with such cynical play at times.

Blaming the ref :o
    That really is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

yabadabado wrote: »
    Blaming the ref :o
    That really is pathetic.

Jose's going to be fuming. Coming here, stealing our jobs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

limnam wrote: »
    Blaming refs?

Surely not.

You're allowed comment on a poor refereeing performance without blaming the ref. He was awful

Jose got it spot on keep the Pool front 3 quiet and the rest will look after itself.

Focused on the Pool weakness and it worked a treat.

You're allowed comment on a poor refereeing performance without blaming the ref. He was awful

Not if you spend most of your time complaining about other managers blaming ref's you're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Big blow to Liverpools title challenge

20 Times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Liverpools passing was unexpectedly poor, although it's hard to tell whether it was poor passes or United cutting of the lines Liverpool attackers seem to run.

Sanchez i felt was poor again for Utd, Rashford was brilliant for both goals though, kept the width in the game and knew where Lukaku was putting the ball. Lukaku himself was excellent.

Mane seems a shadow of the player he was last year, really poor performance from him along with the right side of the Pool back four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

limnam wrote: »
    You're aware that Liverpool are entitled to use a "long ball" too right?

I am not sure what your problem is. What Man U did worked and worked well and that is what I commenetd one. People can use what they want, what the Mancs did what they did and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

That’s a trademark Mourinho win, absolutely delighted with the team effort.
    Salah, Mané and Firmino never really looked like worrying that defence.
    Even the goal was a nothing attack, should have been dealt with easily.

• Klopps tactics exposed again
    Cannot adapt and change up the game

Masterclass from Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Fair play lads, ye tried to take it to old trafford and were a threat throughout, we defended very well though and limited ye to pot shots. Rashford took his chances well, young lads for united had a great game. Can see the progress in both teams this season. Always nice to win these derby's.

edgecutter wrote: »
    In that case Lovren should have been off as well for two challenges on Fellaini.

I fail to see how they are comparable. One was a player through on goal and dragged back with Young making no attempt to play the ball.

The others were two mistimed tackles at the sideline. I didn't think both were yellow card offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Just talking about the game. I thought he was poor and I thought Liverpool were poor.

You have to admit every 50/50 decision went to 'pool in the first half? If you don't see it there is no point discussing it with you really. I was livid at half time with him.

Second half he defo gave united more decisions. Don't understand why you don't just call him what he is.... A poor official.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Valencia challenge looked a straight red to me. That was the big one the ref got wrong, not convinced he got any penalty calls wrong.

Update on our pathetic results against top 6 :)

Liverpool w 2 L 3 D 4

United: w 4 L 3 D1

Valencia challenge looked a straight red to me. That was the big one the ref got wrong, not convinced he got any penalty calls wrong.

Do you not think that Ashley Young held Salah back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Klopps tactics exposed again

Masterclass from Jose
    Far from that really, couple of decisions go differently and it is a different game, even Manc fans thought that was a red. Man U went long ball,Pool made a mistake and the bus was rolled in after the goal, then another long ball for the second and its a long way back. Ten men behind the ball and shut up shop, its not a problem but does not invalidate a system or coaching style, otherwise Jose could be called up as clueless when he gets it wrong as he has often over the years. It's all well and good adapting and changing up the game against Palace, against second in the league is a different matter.

Masterclass from Jose

The aul Arsne cliche springs to mind.

No plan B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Masterclass from Jose

Actually I think Jose focused on TAA. He spotted that he was a weak link today and punished him.

I missed the middle of the game (35 mins - 65 mins) so not sure how it went during that part but I thought Lukaku did well to pick up Lovern early on and put him under huge pressure and won lots of balls. Because of his hard work Rashford was given a lot of chances and did very well as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Ashley Young didn't let him play.

Very true. Just thought Salah should have came hunting for the ball similar to the way Mane was trying to. Especially when it was clear he was getting nothing off his side

I fail to see how they are comparable. One was a player through on goal and dragged back with Young making no attempt to play the ball.

The others were two mistimed tackles at the sideline. I didn't think both were yellow card offenses.

Loverns attempts to tackle were terrible. He should have been booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Do you not think that Ashley Young held Salah back?

I think Young was pretty smart and did what most defenders do. Much worse at every corner.

The only thing that worried me was the Valencia tackle.

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Actually I think Jose focused on TAA. He spotted that he was a weak link today and punished him.

I missed the middle of the game (35 mins - 65 mins) so not sure how it went during that part but I thought Lukaku did well to pick up Lovern early on and put him under huge pressure and won lots of balls. Because of his hard work Rashford was given a lot of chances and did very well as well.

But that's Jose

Identifed the weaknesses

Exposed it

Excellent

Klopp has no plan B, if plan A doesn't work never tries to change it.

That's the big difference in him and Jose.

Far from that really, couple of decisions go differently and it is a different game, even Manc fans thought that was a red. Man U went long ball,Pool made a mistake and the bus was rolled in after the goal, then another long ball for the second and its a long way back. Ten men behind the ball and shut up shop, its not a problem but does not invalidate a system or coaching style, otherwise Jose could be called up as clueless when he gets it wrong as he has often over the years. It's all well and good adapting and changing up the game against Palace, against second in the league is a different matter.
    This is an exceptionally one eyed view of the game. Best chances created by United. Pool created nothing. Pool defended poorly. United defended well.

But yeah, sure a few unlucky breaks, United shut up shop 20 mins in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fair play to Utd today, they exposed Liverpool's defensive weaknesses and took 2 of their 3 chances.

Liverpool then couldn't break down the organised Utd defence and created too little and had too many incomplete passes where it mattered.
    Improvements coming in the summer like Keita, who would have been ideal today and hopefully a forward to give better options than Solanke will make this a very competitive fixture next season.

Ref was awful by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I love fans on here. Liverpool have been brilliant lately and one bad game Klopp is finished, hasn't a clue what he is doing.

• Advertisement

Far from that really, couple of decisions go differently and it is a different game, even Manc fans thought that was a red.

Lov should have went for his elbow into McT IMO.

Swings and roundabouts and all that.
    Man U went long ball,Pool made a mistake

So their weakness was exposed.
    and the bus was rolled in after the goal, then another long ball for the second and its a long way back.

Oh, weakness exposed.

We should just play into klopps hands walk into the press.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Loverns attempts to tackle were terrible. He should have been booked.

I think he could have been booked for one of them but the referee didn't even call the first one as a foul, which was a mistake. If he calls a foul for the first then the second doesn't happen so can't really be saying he should have got two yellows.

Either way, the mistake of not booking Lovren for the second challenge is another error by the referee today in a very poor performance. Even basics like failing to book Sanchez for blocking Liverpool from taking a free kick, that was awful officiating.

I didn't feel too great when reading him name as the ref today not because he's biased but because he's a poor referee.

I think Young was pretty smart and did what most defenders do. Much worse at every corner.

The only thing that worried me was the Valencia tackle.

I think he was blessed that Salah didn't go down.

I love fans on here. Liverpool have been brilliant lately and one bad game Klopp is finished, hasn't a clue what he is doing.

It's grand been great against teams outside of the top 6

Bit like Lukaku and his goal scoring.

Right? :pac:

But that's Jose

Identifed the weaknesses

Exposed it

Excellent

I didn't say it wasn't Jose. I said he identified TAA as the weakest link and went after him. It worked.

From what I saw of the game I think United deserved the win but I did miss a good chunk of the game.

I do feel Valencia could have been sent off, he didn't mean to hit Mane and was just late but it was probably a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Klopp has no plan B, if plan A doesn't work never tries to change it.

That's the big difference in him and Jose.

This gets mentioned all the time.

Jose didn't introduce a plan B today and Liverpool's plan A has destroyed lots of teams this season.

What lacked today was execution. Too many poor performances and poor passes and wrong options let Liverpool today not Klopp's tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Spurs win tomorrow then 'Pool are back to 4th.

Going to go down to the wire this season (well 2nd --> 4th is anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Los Lobos wrote: »
    So that's why they lost!

Feel like this deserves more credit :pac:

Enjoyed the game as a neutral. United impressed me a lot. Liverpool fans can feel unlucky not to draw imo.

murpho999 wrote: »

Jose didn't introduce a plan B today and Liverpool's plan A has destroyed lots of teams this season.

What lacked today was execution. Too many poor performances and poor passes and wrong options let Liverpool today not Klopp's tactics.

Sure he did.

That's a completely different setup/style/tactic to other united games.

E.g. we have different ways to play against different types of styles.

Klopps tactic is basically keep running around like a headless chicken until you win the ball. If that fals. Rinse wash repeat.

I think he was blessed that Salah didn't go down.

I think Salah needs to give the ref a decision. But even still, the contact is nowhere near an unusual amount in those scenarios.

• Advertisement

Who said Klopp is finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I the only one that saw a tangle between Young and Salah in the 2nd half, were Young may have given a tug but then Salah swung at his head?

It was just on the edge of the screen as both were running off the ball back towards the United box. After the swing/punch Young stopped and felt his head but didn't go down.

I haven't seen it mentioned once and I'm wondering if there was anything in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Who said Klopp is finished?

people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Ha. Hilarious post. Where you reading he is finished.

With a post like that I Think we know who hasn’t a clue.

murpho999 wrote: »

Jose didn't need to change things today if you hadn't noticed United were comfortable throughout. Why would he need to be changing the plan when it was working perfectly from kick off.

Of course Pools plan has worked on plenty of teams but didn't today, what did Klopp do, sfa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That Jose post-match interview was hilarious :pac:

people.

Yeah so no one one, I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jose didn't need to change things today if you hadn't noticed United were comfortable throughout. Why would he need to be changing the plan when it was working perfectly from kick off.

Of course Pools plan has worked on plenty of teams but didn't today, what did Klopp do, sfa.

He made a big change bringing Felliani on, and it worked.

He made a big change bringing Felliani on, and it worked.

Eased a bit of pressure alright but the plan from kick off stayed moreorless the same.

Pool were 2 down and kept playing the same way, nothing changed and only a bizarre OG gave them a bit of hope. DDG had no tough save to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I hate Geoff Shreeves. Stupid questions and idiotic statements.

“You must be disappointed with losing Jurgen..”

There is a Call from the department of bleeding obvious offering Shreeves a job.... Position offered is “gobsh*te”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement