Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs LFC - Kick-off 10 Mar, 12:30 - Buildup and Matchthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Haven’t seen much of Liverpool at all this season but LiveScore gives me the impression that they are usually very dangerous in the first half and not so much in the second.
    Would that be accurate?

According to eplindex Liverpool have scored roughly 55% their league goals in the second half.

Not sure if that's correct but we definitely get a fair few goals in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

We were explicitly told that there was only one mad, over confident Liverpool poster. This thread begs to differ...

We were explicitly told that there was only one mad, over confident Liverpool poster. This thread begs to differ...

I think most have said a draw?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think most have said a draw?

“Shades of 2009”
    “4-0”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I don't think it's a huge game at all. Both clubs can afford to lose. Obviously they won't want to, but there's not a massive amount riding on this.

100% agree. In reality neither can win the league and after all the oh arent we great calms down nothing has changed

“Shades of 2009”
    “4-0”

So two people out of how many? And the guy who said Shades of 2009 said it'll probably be a draw I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

FitzShane wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see the set up of both teams and the small little tactical pieces that will try to be exposed.

Pre-Christmas, the tactics from Jose attacking wise could have been for United to try beat Liverpool's press and send balls up to Lukaku to try dominate TAA/Gomez/Matip/Lovren in the air, and possibly Moreno too as he was playing a lot then.

I think with VVD in there now, it is not such an enticing prospect for United. He is so dominant. he might not win 10/10 balls against Lukaku, that's just not possible, but he will win a lot of them 50/50 duels IMO. The out-ball that United have used against Liverpool a lot recently in these games (Ibra vs Matip & Clyne, Ibra & Fellaini vs TAA & Lovren and finally Lukaku vs Matip & Gomez) I don't think will work as well as it did, especially last year when that ball was on a lot. I know Gomez is not the best at defending back posts headers so ye may try target him (or TAA if he plays) again but VVD will be there to back him up and will not get as much joy at all.

Possibly United will try attack space in behind channels with pace in Martial & Sanchez but Sanchez is not a lad to run into space. He is coming deep for United and turning on the ball and passing it (losing it a lot) but he is not playing on shoulders of defenders whereas Martial can, and possibly Lingard too. Maybe try attack through the middle with Sanchez trying to get joy out of Henderson's lesser ability to be mobile.

On the other hand, we all know Liverpool love to win the ball up high and play havoc too, but I think they are getting better against teams that sit deep against them too. They are gaining more weapons in their arsenal.

Also, whether United play 2 or 3 in midfield, I think Ox will play in order to target Pogba. Mainly this is because he comes into midfield from the right hand side with driving runs. Think he would love to run into the space left by Pogba as he is not disciplined enough. Salah will be on that side too, also making use of that space. Hopefully Fun Bobby can get around Matic - think that will be a key battle also.
    Jose will start Rashford with instruction to run at Trent
    Lovern will pick up Lakaku (always does well against him )
    United will go 3 at the back,
    Pogba will not play on the left hand side of midfield ,

So two people out of how many? And the guy who said Shades of 2009 said it'll probably be a draw I think?

And the other one makes 3. We were told it was just one. I never said anything about percentages.

And the other one makes 3. We were told it was just one. I never said anything aboutopercentages.
    You lads are gas, giving out cause you "where told it was just one fan " Grow up for f*ck sake ye little snow flake
    Its the internet its full of head bangers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With both sides looking to be pretty comfortable in the top 4, theres nothing on the line here bar pride and bragging rights.

Given Liverpools poor enough league record at Old Trafford in recent times, I'd give Utd the edge, Jose might have lost games away from home against the top 6 but at home, he usually knows what to do to get over the line with the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know Gomez is not the best at defending back posts headers so ye may try target him (or TAA if he plays) again but VVD will be there to back him up and will not get as much joy at all.

Possibly United will try attack space in behind channels with pace in Martial & Sanchez but Sanchez is not a lad to run into space. He is coming deep for United and turning on the ball and passing it (losing it a lot) but he is not playing on shoulders of defenders whereas Martial can, and possibly Lingard too.

This is it - Mata will be tasked with spreading early balls in behind the full backs for the runners to cross to Lukaku or inside to Sanchez. So I'd not be shocked if Klopp specifically made sure that TAA (probably) and Robertson do not play as aux wingers unless they have a clear opportunity to overload one side during an attack and if that happens Can/Hendo/Milner better be filling a gap. Indeed this could be a good game for Milner - he knows when to foul and where to be to make a good one :) At corners Liverpool will need to be wise to that early ball out if the ball falls kindly to a Utd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No matter what the result is, football will be the real winner on Saturday. I'm sure of that.

Ahem.

Somebody call the cops quick before a 4th person predicts a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Opening the Match thread 3 days before the match....

5noHKsb.jpg

Bookies have a win for either team pretty much the same. Hard to argue I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The big question is what are Sky hype calling it in the promos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think even they are cooling their jets after the recent damp squibs between both teams. They’re lumping it in with Celtic and rangers and even villa wolves in some promos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Penalties, Red Cards, Disallowed Goals, Hitting the Post all topped off with Benny Hill Music

Roll on Saturday

While I was watching Palace v United, I think I heard the commentators promoting 'Rivals Weekend' or some shíte like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

While I was watching Palace v United, I think I heard the commentators promoting 'Rivals Weekend' or some sh like that.

Sky Presenter: "And it's live!"

• Advertisement

You lads are gas, giving out cause you "where told it was just one fan " Grow up for f*ck sake ye little snow flake

I couldn’t give a flying f*ck what any of you here think to be honest. Just correcting a smart arse comment.

Cokiness?! Hah!

There's one delusional twat who thinks we'll win by three or four. The rest of us? If we don't score early, best we can hope for is a nil-nil draw.

Where do you find these "cocky" Liverpool supporters? Playgrounds? (Implication there, being that you might be a primary school teacher or paretn, btw - nothing more!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

It'll be ****e.

I couldn’t give a flying f*ck what any of you here think to be honest. Just correcting a smart arse comment.

Cokiness?! Hah!

There's one delusional twat who thinks we'll win by three or four. The rest of us? If we don't score early, best we can hope for is a nil-nil draw.

Where do you find these "cocky" Liverpool supporters? Playgrounds? (Implication there, being that you might be a primary school teacher or paretn, btw - nothing more!)
    Its the internet kiddo where everyone has an opinion , don't let them get to you ,

Its the internet kiddo where everyone has an opinion , don't let them get to you ,

Says the guy permanently sniffing around the United thread looking to pull people up on stuff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think both teams would be happy a draw, so probably the most likely outcome.

Morzadec wrote: »

If Liverpool go for the win they should get it. United’s defence at the moment is a shambles, a proper shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I cant see Liverpool having the mindset of "being happy with a draw". Its just not the way Klopp plays. He cant because Liverpools defence makes too many errors to take a chance on a draw.

United on the other hand are always happy with a draw against better opposition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

If Liverpool go for the win they should get it. United’s defence at the moment is a shambles, a proper shambles.

Liverpool cannot do anything but go for the win. Still think United will be favorites though, they have a good record against Liverpool at Old Trafford in recent years. Well I can't remember the last time we won in any event.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I cant see Liverpool having the mindset of "being happy with a draw". Its just not the way Klopp plays. He cant because Liverpools defence makes too many errors to take a chance on a draw.

He (Klopp) was more cautious than usual in the home fixture. Granted it was a reaction to knowing Jose wanted to catch us in the break, but we were definitely not as attacking as normal.

I really hope Klopp just lets them go for it, regardless of falling into the Jose trap. We’ve enough of a gap to Chelsea to risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Is "snowflake" an actual word now? Thought that rubbish was just AH slang but now its here. Joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The battle of the righteous posters in here will be more entertaining than the game itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Morzadec wrote: »

Nah, don't think Liverpool are that kind of team and not sure they have the ability to play for a draw. Think they are all about attack.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Berserker wrote: »
    Nah, don't think Liverpool are that kind of team and not sure they have the ability to play for a draw. Think they are all about attack.

In the last game against utd, while we were the more attacking team, we were far less gung ho than we would have been against a bottom half team. Liverpool's defensive issues are overegged anyhow. In the last 4 or 5 months we have been as good defensively as anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

0-1 Liverpool :-(

Heart says 2-1 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

5starpool wrote: »
    In the last game against utd, while we were the more attacking team, we were far less gung ho than we would have been against a bottom half team. Liverpool's defensive issues are overegged anyhow. In the last 4 or 5 months we have been as good defensively as anyone.

Liverpool were at their worst defensively when United came to Anfield. In those 6 games, Liverpool conceded 13 goals.

In the following 19 games, Liverpool conceded 16 goals - 3 of them penalties. Big big difference there and VVD has made a big difference too to Liverpool's defence.

Why Mourinho chose to not attack Liverpool that day, only he will know. Perfect opportunity to beat a vunrable Liverpool at Anfield and also get a few fans on board that were questioning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why Mourinho chose to not attack Liverpool that day, only he will know. Perfect opportunity to beat a vunrable Liverpool at Anfield and also get a few fans on board that were questioning him.

It was the same in this fixture last year Liverpool were in poor form at the time but you'd never know it the way United approached it.
    I expect a tedious draw the weekend where neither side is able to dictate their own style to the game. It's what the last 3 games were so why change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

0-0 in the 98th min then Saurez to pop up with the winner..

Liverpool were at their worst defensively when United came to Anfield. In those 6 games, Liverpool conceded 13 goals.

In the following 19 games, Liverpool conceded 16 goals - 3 of them penalties. Big big difference there and VVD has made a big difference too to Liverpool's defence.

Whatever way Mourinho set the team up that day, I thought the players let themselves down badly. They couldn't string a few successive passes together, unforced errors all over the place leading to our counter attacks never taking off, Ander Herrera putting in arguably his worst performance in a United shirt. All of that.

If there was a gameplan that day, defensive or otherwise, it was hard to see it as most of the United team were toxic. I do have issues with some of Jose's line-ups and his choice of tactics for certain games, but for me that was a player problem in Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Whatever way Mourinho set the team up that day, I thought the players let themselves down badly. They couldn't string a few successive passes together, unforced errors all over the place leading to our counter attacks never taking off, Ander Herrera putting in arguably his worst performance in a United shirt. All of that.

If there was a gameplan that day, defensive or otherwise, it was hard to see it as most of the United team were toxic. I do have issues with some of Jose's line-ups and his choice of tactics for certain games, but for me that was a player problem in Anfield.

I’ve never seen that explained by a pundit on tv. How can professionaly trained teams play so poorly with passing , staying in a basic formation and even putting in 100% shift. These are basic qualities that every too footballer should easily possess.

You need only look at the last 4 league champions in England the season after they win the league (and Real Madrid in la primera?!) to see that the under performance of strong squads is not limited to teams like Man United.

My barstool theory is that the modern player is just made of that bit less drive and character. I can’t remember too frequently in the past a top league winning team, with a strong squad (like city, Chelsea or Madrid) falling so far behind the season after winning a league.

It’s one of the reasons SAF was so special. Getting teams motivated to retain leagues is a rare thing in England!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,334 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rivalry Weekend

Friday
    Hibs V Hearts

Saturday
    Man Utd V Liverpool
    Aston Villa V Wolves

Sunday
    Rangers V Celtic
    Nottingham Forest V Derby

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

One of the things that has me slightly worried now is the form of Oxlade Chamberlain the last couple of games, I thought I would have been happy with the Matic, McTominay & Pogba midfield but they couldn't keep up with Palace's midfield on Monday. I can't see United going with 2 in midfield so unless McTominay is replaced by Carrick so it'll be the same three. It's only one game but it was pretty worrying.

I actually have no idea how the match will go, everytime I try and think what score it'll be I end up changing my mind two seconds later when thinking about each position for each team, it's the first time I'll be at Old Trafford for the Liverpool game so I hope it's entertaining at least..

Rivalry Weekend

Friday
    Hibs V Hearts

Saturday
    Man Utd V Liverpool
    Aston Villa V Wolves

Sunday
    Rangers V Celtic
    Nottingham Forest V Derby

It's some change from Neville and Carra flying in as if it was an end of the world contest! Diluted amongst the crud. Mourinho has really done a number on big matches he's been involved in. When you compare it to our other top 6 clashes, water and wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

IBrows89 wrote: »
    One of the things that has me slightly worried now is the form of Oxlade Chamberlain the last couple of games, I thought I would have been happy with the Matic, McTominay & Pogba midfield but they couldn't keep up with Palace's midfield on Monday. I can't see United going with 2 in midfield so unless McTominay is replaced by Carrick so it'll be the same three. It's only one game but it was pretty worrying.

I actually have no idea how the match will go, everytime I try and think what score it'll be I end up changing my mind two seconds later when thinking about each position for each team, it's the first time I'll be at Old Trafford for the Liverpool game so I hope it's entertaining at least..

If you are a Liverpool fan be careful, don't wear a jersey and be prepared for some awful stuff. I went to United v Liverpool twice - one of them was where Mascherano talked himself into a red with 2 friends (one of them a pool fan). Obviously as a united fan it was great to get the win, but it was soured somewhat by the vicious stuff coming out of fans.

Bear in mind I am a United fan, getting the tram back to the city was intimidating. Some of the stuff being sang was awful. Maybe we were just scared for our friend (Pool fan) who had no Jersey or anything to identify him as a Liverpool fan. I think that was the one where Pool fans spread sh*t all over the walls in the Old Trafford toilets....

Its sad, but I wouldn't be quick to goto one of these games again. Ive been to loads of United games over the years, but this one was the most bitter, horrible one. I wouldn't call this game a healthy rivalry and its a shame because its such a fascinating fixture .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,381 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'd have no interest in actually going to a Utd/Liverpool game. it just doesn't mean enough to me from a rivalry point of view to put up with the horrible stuff that happens.

Says the guy permanently sniffing around the United thread looking to pull people up on stuff :pac:
    I like to chat football , I don't get upset if people have different views ,

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »

He (Klopp) was more cautious than usual in the home fixture. Granted it was a reaction to knowing Jose wanted to catch us in the break, but we were definitely not as attacking as normal.

I really hope Klopp just lets them go for it, regardless of falling into the Jose trap. We’ve enough of a gap to Chelsea to risk it.
    I don't think Liverpool where more cautious by design last time, they just wheren't in good form ,
    They had won only 1 of there previous 7 games and it was a lucky win when Vardy missed a last minute peno, Also Mane was missing,
    Liverpool will attack as its the only way they know how to play (which is a bad thing ) , it'll be interesting to see how Jose approaches the game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,381 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

both teams were shít in the last meeting.

Utd were shít in possession, and Liverpool were ineffective with the possession they won / were given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’ve been at United V Pool in OT & Anfield and vicious roars/chants/single idiots re Munich - Hillsbourogh. Suarez - Evra. Players mothers. Who they shag. Who fell over. How times trophy’s are won are etc etc are the EXACT same. Neither set of fans are angels

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I’ve been at United V Pool in OT & Anfield and vicious roars/chants/single idiots re Munich - Hillsbourogh. Suarez - Evra. Players mothers. Who they shag. Who fell over. How times trophy’s are won are etc etc are the EXACT same. Neither set of fans are angles

Are they obtuse angles :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Are they obtuse angles :pac:

Stupid auto correct

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement