Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs LFC - Kick-off 10 Mar, 12:30 - Buildup and Matchthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Drumpot wrote: »
    If you are a Liverpool fan be careful, don't wear a jersey and be prepared for some awful stuff. I went to United v Liverpool twice - one of them was where Mascherano talked himself into a red with 2 friends (one of them a pool fan). Obviously as a united fan it was great to get the win, but it was soured somewhat by the vicious stuff coming out of fans.

Bear in mind I am a United fan, getting the tram back to the city was intimidating. Some of the stuff being sang was awful. Maybe we were just scared for our friend (Pool fan) who had no Jersey or anything to identify him as a Liverpool fan. I think that was the one where Pool fans spread sh*t all over the walls in the Old Trafford toilets....

Its sad, but I wouldn't be quick to goto one of these games again. Ive been to loads of United games over the years, but this one was the most bitter, horrible one. I wouldn't call this game a healthy rivalry and its a shame because its such a fascinating fixture .

I have been to Liverpool games V Man Utd / City and Everton sitting in the Anfield Road end above the away fans, some the stuff you hear from the away fans and those fans beside the away fans would make you think twice about going.

Seems most just want to go to cause trouble and stir things rather than watch the games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Hopefully Lindelol and Smalloling start.

2-5. Salah x2, Bobby, Ox and Can x1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have been to Liverpool games V Man Utd / City and Everton sitting in the Anfield Road end above the away fans, some the stuff you hear from the away fans and those fans beside the away fans would make you think twice about going.

Seems most just want to go to cause trouble and stir things rather than watch the games.

Its how vicious and aggresive the chants can be that's so shocking. I know other Liverpool fans who felt the same at Anfield v United.

I was at Man United v Man City (Cantona's debut in 1992) as a young lad and I don't remember the same kind of animosity that I felt as an adult at Liverpool games. Maybe I just didn't realise it, but there is a particular nastiness to these two teams coming together.

On a side note, I was at Man United v Bolton once and the away fans were getting in scuffles with United fans. Police had to come down with Batons. Looked kind of nasty at times and I expected to see something on MOTT but there was nothing about it. . The Premier league PR machine does a lot to protect its cash cow . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Its how vicious and aggresive the chants can be that's so shocking. I know other Liverpool fans who felt the same at Anfield v United.

I was at Man United v Man City (Cantona's debut in 1992) as a young lad and I don't remember the same kind of animosity that I felt as an adult at Liverpool games. Maybe I just didn't realise it, but there is a particular nastiness to these two teams coming together.

On a side note, I was at Man United v Bolton once and the away fans were getting in scuffles with United fans. Police had to come down with Batons. Looked kind of nasty at times and I expected to see something on MOTT but there was nothing about it. . The Premier league PR machine does a lot to protect its cash cow . . ;)

Yea big time, the Liverpool V Everton game was the recent 4-0 where even Lucas was taking pop shots, as the game went on both sets of fans tried to get in a scuffle over the divide, it happens but unless it is serious where they can't avoid reporting it you will not hear about it on Sky, BT or MOTD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I like to chat football , I don't get upset if people have different views ,

I think you mistakenly thought I cared that some fans were confident. I don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be honest to expect Liverpool to attack. Mane Salah and firmino will start. I think ox can and Wjini will be in midfield. After that the only ones I'm confident about starting are Karius and vvd.

United will not exactly park the bus but I think they will be patient and look to capitalize on defensive mistakes rather than attack. United have a must win champions league game a couple of days later also so I think Jose will be cautious of players going in too pumped up.

The reality is both teams will finish top 4 and go straight into the group stage of next seasons cl.

United will be happy with a draw because that is the was Jose plays these games. A draw keeps them ahead so a draw is a victory. Where Liverpool have no use for a draw. A win puts them second but a draw or loss leaves them still in the top 4.

I think Liverpool will edge it. Their record against the top 4 (this season apart) is impressive. They will want the win more. Or at least they will be less happy with a draw than united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be honest to expect Liverpool to attack. Mane Salah and firmino will start. I think ox can and Wjini will be in midfield. After that the only ones I'm confident about starting are Karius and vvd.

United will not exactly park the bus but I think they will be patient and look to capitalize on defensive mistakes rather than attack. United have a must win champions league game a couple of days later also so I think Jose will be cautious of players going in too pumped up.

The reality is both teams will finish top 4 and go straight into the group stage of next seasons cl.

United will be happy with a draw because that is the was Jose plays these games. A draw keeps them ahead so a draw is a victory. Where Liverpool have no use for a draw. A win puts them second but a draw or loss leaves them still in the top 4.

I think Liverpool will edge it. Their record against the top 4 (this season apart) is impressive. They will want the win more. Or at least they will be less happy with a draw than united.
    Henderson starts all day been there best midfielder in the last 2 games, Plus himself and Can will be there to help deal with United's height advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

SlickRic wrote: »
    both teams were shít in the last meeting.

Utd were shít in possession, and Liverpool were ineffective with the possession they won / were given.
    The last 2 or 3 meetings have been dreadful games. Remember "Red Monday"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My barstool theory is that the modern player is just made of that bit less drive and character. I can’t remember too frequently in the past a top league winning team, with a strong squad (like city, Chelsea or Madrid) falling so far behind the season after winning a league.

While rare back in the day, it wasn't unheard of. I remember Blackburn being woeful the year after they won it. Though that was probably more a case of them settling back to their 'rightful' position (without meaning to slag them off with that phrase), similar to Leicester recently. But yeah, I see now that you mentioned top teams, so you would expect more from the likes of Chelsea, Madrid etc more recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

fyfe79 wrote: »
    While rare back in the day, it wasn't unheard of. I remember Blackburn being woeful the year after they won it. Though that was probably more a case of them settling back to their 'rightful' position (without meaning to slag them off with that phrase), similar to Leicester recently. But yeah, I see now that you mentioned top teams, so you would expect more from the likes of Chelsea, Madrid etc more recently.
    There's been a few reigning champions recently that flopped the following season. Us in 2013 and 2015 , utd in 2014, Leicester, Chelsea this season.

• Advertisement

Also, it should be remembered that the vast, vast majority of all clubs in England were stocked totally with British and Irish players up until around '92 and the Premier League reinvention. It could be argued that foreign players coming in are not aware of the background and rivalries of clubs, and aren't as ingrained or invested in the clubs as more native clubs.

But possibly the main reason why a lot of top clubs don't seem to maintain that persistent desire to win all round them compared to the old days, is that the players at these clubs (not just the foreigners, but the British as well), are now multi-millionaires and are more dis-associated from the real world and clubs' fans than ever. If you've already got a few million in the bank by the time you're 21, it's gotta be a little more difficult to focus on absolutely busting your balls for the cause every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

blueser wrote: »
    Remember "Red Monday"?

No.

Henderson starts all day been there best midfielder in the last 2 games, Plus himself and Can will be there to help deal with United's height advantage

Perhaps. I just don't know if he will play two games in a few days. Can maybe but Jordan I doubt it.

I like Henderson and think he adds a lot to the midfield. Hopefully he starts but I think it'll be Can Wjini and ox

Mr.H wrote: »
    Perhaps. I just don't know if he will play two games in a few days. Can maybe but Jordan I doubt it.

I like Henderson and think he adds a lot to the midfield. Hopefully he starts but I think it'll be Can Wjini and ox

Unfortunately Wjinaldum has been generally poor on the road this season so he'd have to up his game if selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Unless he's injured or not fully fit, I don't think Klopp will drop his captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Heart says 3-0 United.

Head says 1-0 United, while stinking out the place and only 2 shots on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Diego Forlan first goalscorer.

Nerdlingr wrote:
    Unless he's injured or not fully fit, I don't think Klopp will drop his captain.

He has had him in and out of the side all season. He doesn't seem to think he is fit enough to play two full games in a week. Its been like that for awhile now.

Maybe he is fully fit and will play but being captain means nothing for team selection under klopp. How many captains have we had this season and it's not because Hendo has been injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Knex. wrote: »
    Diego Forlan first goalscorer.

Put money on a Jerzy Dudek error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Milner will start this. Wiji won't if only because he has been ill, might not be on the bench for all we know.

---Milner-Hendo/Can
    Ox_Cham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Mig wrote: »
    Hopefully Lindelol and Smalloling start.

The thread actually made pretty good reading up to this. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Berserker wrote: »
    Put money on a Jerzy Dudek error.

Carragher own goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

blueser wrote: »
    The last 2 or 3 meetings have been dreadful games. Remember "Red Monday"?

Yeah, if it's similar to those game, i'm going to switch it off. There was nothing in those games for the neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

United represent everything that Phil Jones wishes to be. Absolute headtheballs.

They so obviously play kicktheball in an inferior fashion to how Liverpool play kicktheball. Endeavoring to rarely ever bring excitement or joy to anyone, except in the form of Phil Jones memes.

This, I believe, is a punishable offense.

Salah to score a goal from a counter attack and then cut off De Gea's man bun in front of a baying, partisan crowd in celebration, lofting it above his defeated body before throwing it down on the penalty spot. Karius to jog up and hoof it into the crowd, before running back the Liverpool goal pointing at his own, now superior, man bun.

It is written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

fyfe79 wrote: »

You can add Feyenoord to the list. Woeful this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As a neutral, I hope Liverpool slaughter United. They're actually enjoyable to watch. Rather see football prevail over anti-football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Man Utd will win.

Mourinho is the greatest coach of all time.

I also think Chelsea will make top 4 as well. They are great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MD1990 wrote: »
    Man Utd will win.

Mourinho is the greatest coach of all time.

I also think Chelsea will make top 4 as well. They are great too.
    Utd play Liverpool?

Anyway. This is the combined thread people have asked for.

lets-all-be-friends.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Comfortable home win, probably in the region of 8, or maybe 9 nil.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

...and another thing about Untited fans is they alw..

*Looks around*
    *Looks a threat title*

Oh.

Hey.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    ...and another thing about Untited fans is they alw..

*Looks around*
    *Looks a threat title*

Oh.

Hey.

I thought I was in conspiracy theories for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

giphy.gif

^ Andrey Konchelskis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Paul Konchesky's mother!

To be fair this is probably the first time in years we are both going into this fixture with little on the line. No matter the result we should both still finish in the top 4.

I still hope Liverpool win obviously but hopefully the lack of needing to not lose will make both teams play football. I'd like a proper tough united Liverpool style game with loads of bookings and chances

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Anyone see sky sports combined team? Lovren starting ....

• Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair this is probably the first time in years we are both going into this fixture with little on the line. No matter the result we should both still finish in the top 4.

I still hope Liverpool win obviously but hopefully the lack of needing to not lose will make both teams play football. I'd like a proper tough united Liverpool style game with loads of bookings and chances

I actually don't agree.
    This has been the fiercest I have seen the rivalry in years. An no I'm not talking about this forum.
    It's important to me as Utd fan to win this game against of it's biggest rivals at home.
    We had recent big result against Chelsea and we need another against Liverpool and against City IMO.
    Jose has taken alot of flack (and sometimes rightly) even though this team is in 2nd place and still in 2 competitions.
    He can make another statement by getting a big result tomorrow.
    It's a test of the atmosphere at OT too as I think he's right to criticize the home crowd. It's been piss poor off late.
    Our away fans are miles apart at the moment and showing up the home support.
    Finishing this season as strong as possible and adding further additions to this squad in the summer is required if we have any chance of challenging City next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MurDawg wrote: »

Was it this one?

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/82zwuh/liverpoolunited_combined_xi/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MurDawg wrote: »

skysports-graphic-combined_4250778.jpg?20180309071051

Sanchez wouldn't make it on his utd form anyway.

Robertson ahead of Young.

Matic would be in as well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Power rankings are muck and there is the proof.

• Advertisement

Could they have picked two worse center backs?

Smalling is regarded as an accident waiting to happen by most Utd fans and I believe Lovren is similarly thought of by Pool fans :pac:

Surely it'd be Jones and Van Dijk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd have VVD, Robertson and Matic in there without a doubt.

Mane/Lukaku instead of Sanchez.

Not sure of Smalling though but Bailey has played very little this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's nuts.

Yeah, would definitely have Matic in for Can, VVD in for Lovren, Jones ahead of Smalling, left back is a toss up I think, and on present form I'd still have Mane over Sanchez. Neither at their best right now, but Mane works so hard in both defense and attack, and opens so many doors, that I could never leave him out of a team.

Christ i'd love to see Pogba operating behind the Liverpool front 3.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I actually don't agree.
    This has been the fiercest I have seen the rivalry in years. An no I'm not talking about this forum.
    It's important to me as Utd fan to win this game against of it's biggest rivals at home.
    We had recent big result against Chelsea and we need another against Liverpool and against City IMO.
    Jose has taken alot of flack (and sometimes rightly) even though this team is in 2nd place and still in 2 competitions.
    He can make another statement by getting a big result tomorrow.
    It's a test of the atmosphere at OT too as I think he's right to criticize the home crowd. It's been piss poor off late.
    Our away fans are miles apart at the moment and showing up the home support.
    Finishing this season as strong as possible and adding further additions to this squad in the summer is required if we have any chance of challenging City next season.

From a competition point of view there is very little on the line. Yea it's a test to see how a Jose side will go into this game and how Liverpool's defence has come along. But bar personal ambitions the game has very little on the line.

It's not just united that will be hoping to challenge next season. FFS we own the moto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is Mourinho going to rest one or two players with Sevilla in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd fancy this team to beat the one that was picked.

Karius
    Gomez, Jones, VVD, Robertson
    Matic Henderson Wijnaldum
    Mata Lukaku Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

eagle eye wrote: »

Karius

eagle eye wrote: »

Karius
    Mata Lukaku Mane

Edited - oops, now I see what you're getting at. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The absolute cheek of Sky to lump this fixture in with that Scottish nonsense under their Rivals Weekend promo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's a game I want to win naturally, it's united v liverpool.

I would agree with the sentiment there is very little in the line tbh, the league is gone, progress has been made and finished best of the losers doesn't really excite me.

Progress has been made this season that needs to be built upon next season. That is the only concern, momentum from this game going into the Sevilla game of the positive sort would be nice :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement