Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs LFC - Kick-off 10 Mar, 12:30 - Buildup and Matchthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

monkey9 wrote: »
    The absolute cheek of Sky to lump this fixture in with that Scottish nonsense under their Rivals Weekend promo.
    Agreed. Everyone knows the "Scottish nonsense" will be far better.

"TAXI!!!!!"
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

liverpool_vs_manchester_united.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Are we wearing the nuclear jerseys?! Ah well why didn’t Ye say so!!

0-5

Salah x3
    Mane
    Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's a game I want to win naturally, it's united v liverpool.

I would agree with the sentiment there is very little in the line tbh, the league is gone, progress has been made and finished best of the losers doesn't really excite me.

I feel the opposite to be honest, for the first time in years something is on the line!

It feels like the first time in a long time that the two clubs are neck and neck, to the point where results will directly influence who finishes above who.

Sure results have always mattered, but usually in an abstract way. Say United are first and Liverpool are 6th and the result won't change that. Or Liverpool are pushing for 2nd and United are floundering in 7th, and again a win or loss won't change that much.

But this time its neck and neck, one team can leapfrog the other. Sure its not for the title but it seems like for the first time in a long time the bragging rights will really be worth something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I can appreciate that point of view, plenty I have spoken to feel the same. Just my own opinion, bar the bragging rights and momentum due to the next game being so important for us I see no real importance in the fixture. For you, and many others obviously, the bragging rights are enough, for me not so much. We are both going to end up with the same prize at the end of the league campaign, a long way off top.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

I feel the opposite to be honest, for the first time in years something is on the line!

It feels like the first time in a long time that the two clubs are neck and neck, to the point where results will directly influence who finishes above who.

Sure results have always mattered, but usually in an abstract way. Say United are first and Liverpool are 6th and the result won't change that. Or Liverpool are pushing for 2nd and United are floundering in 7th, and again a win or loss won't change that much.

But this time its neck and neck, one team can leapfrog the other. Sure its not for the title but it seems like for the first time in a long time the bragging rights will really be worth something.

Will they though? So if Liverpool finish 2nd and Utd 3rd it's really a big win for Liverpool? Or vice versa?

A trophy fair enough, but a league position where they both "win" the same prize anyway, i.e., a CL spot. Anyone bragging about that is ridiculous tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

as a Liverpool fan at this moment.. I'm still happy to get 4th and see how we get on in the champs league.. but it's paramount we kick on and consolidate another champs league place... it's so important.. utd have too good of a squad to not finish in the top 4 me thinks.. wouldnt mind spurs falling out of the top 4 but can't see it :( a failure to finish in top 4 and I think a few of their players may leave

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Will they though? So if Liverpool finish 2nd and Utd 3rd it's really a big win for Liverpool? Or vice versa?

A trophy fair enough, but a league position where they both "win" the same prize anyway, i.e., a CL spot. Anyone bragging about that is ridiculous tbh..

I'm not sure whats so strange about it. At heart any rivalry is very simple, its one side being better than the other. Thats all.

Is rivalry more important than success or trophies? Not to most people.

But in and of itself that rivalry still has a certain value, and so when you have a game that very directly will affect said rivalry then that game becomes more important to the teams involved.

You say bragging about it would be ridiculous, but all over the world teams that don't win their leagues, cups or even many games will take pleasure at beating or finishing above their closest rivals. You think Hibs fans won't be celebrating tonight despite the result meaning little in the grand scheme of things? Of course they will, its simple human nature.

I'm not sure whats so strange about it. At heart any rivalry is very simple, its one side being better than the other. Thats all.

Is rivalry more important than success or trophies? Not to most people.

But in and of itself that rivalry still has a certain value, and so when you have a game that very directly will affect said rivalry then that game becomes more important to the teams involved.

You say bragging about it would be ridiculous, but all over the world teams that don't win their leagues, cups or even many games will take pleasure at beating or finishing above their closest rivals. You think Hibs fans won't be celebrating tonight despite the result meaning little in the grand scheme of things? Of course they will, its simple human nature.

I can understand celebrating beating a rival in the game. Everyone wants to do that.

But for me, if Liverpool finish above or below Utd in the league and both in the top 4, I won't care. It's pretty meaningless. Now, if Utd were to drop to 5th, then that's a different conversation!!

Anyway, a lot can happen in the last few months so definitely not saying top 4 is a done deal. Far from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can appreciate that point of view, plenty I have spoken to feel the same. Just my own opinion, bar the bragging rights and momentum due to the next game being so important for us I see no real importance in the fixture. For you, and many others obviously, the bragging rights are enough, for me not so much. We are both going to end up with the same prize at the end of the league campaign, a long way off top.

It's kinda nice actually, where winner gets/keeps 2nd, so it matters in that respect, but equally it's not the end of the world for the loser, as both will still be in strong positions for top four which is all that actually matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m with you on this. I don’t see much difference between 2nd and 4th. Neither gets a trophy , neither will be anywhere near city and both gets a champions league spot.

On paper the champions league games are much more important for both teams. Surely neither club are going to drop 9 points and Chelsea win all 9 games!

Obviously I’d like United to win but it won’t matter come Seville game. I’d take a win against Seville over this tie if I had to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree that the occasion has been diminshed slightly by Chelsea's collapse. A few weeks ago this looked like a huge match for top 4.

But can see where Mick and other United fans are coming from. It's a huge match for Mourinho, Sanchez and Pogba. Pressure will be big if they don't perform and lose. Even an unadventurous draw may not go down well depending on the circumstances and create a sour vibe going into the Sevilla match.

Obviously a big match for Pool too and a loss would be very very unpleasant and perhaps a slight momentum killer, but I think they'd move on quickly from it and it wouldn't put that much into question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd imagine that at least a few of the United players will have the Champion's league game on their mind playing this one. Liverpool are already through to the quarters and I think that gives them an advantage in this game.

If I were Mourinho I'd be thinking very strongly of withdrawing important players after 70 minutes regardless of what the score is at the time.

I think it's less important than normal for United because of how important that midweek game is. There is no chance of winning the league and United look certain to qualify for next year's Champion's league and they can still win that this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Second place!!!!!!

Thats what United and Liverpool fans are hoping to celebrate....................

Well congrates everyone we are no officially as bad a fan base as each other.

Pathetic. No one should be celebrating finishing second ffs. Liverpool beating United or United beating Liverpool will be only about bragging rights. Who gives a flying f@@k who finishes second or third??

As for it being a measuring stick on next year? no it isnt. City will strengthen again this summer. As will United Liverpool Chelsea Spurs and even Arsenal. This game has absolutely no significance on next season. It will not define getting a top 4 spot or losing one.

So well done all of you hypocrites who slag each other off about meaningless celebrations. Yes your respective team (I am talking to pool fans also) may finish second. But it means absolutely f@@k all.

I get the whole momentum thing, I do. But realistically if its a draw tomorrow, Jose will be delighted as long as everyone comes through it injury free. As for Liverpool they will be hoping for the win to leapfrog United but in reality its not a significant achievement. United will be more concerned with a win on Tuesday as it is a much much more important game in their season. That been said neither teams season will fall apart by a defeat tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Top 4 is not guaranteed for either side. Y'er as bad as each other outside your superthreads with this unfounded optimism.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Second place!!!!!!

Thats what United and Liverpool fans are hoping to celebrate....................

Pathetic. No one should be celebrating finishing second ffs. Liverpool beating United or United beating Liverpool will be only about bragging rights. Who gives a flying f@@k who finishes second or third??

But it'd be just like that time one club finished 3rd and the other 2nd. It was magical. Think it was '82. Seared into the memory.

It's as big as that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Second place!!!!!!

As for it being a measuring stick on next year? no it isnt. City will strengthen again this summer. As will United Liverpool Chelsea Spurs and even Arsenal. This game has absolutely no significance on next season. It will not define getting a top 4 spot or losing one.

So well done all of you hypocrites who slag each other off about meaningless celebrations. Yes your respective team (I am talking to pool fans also) may finish second. But it means absolutely f@@k all.

I get the whole momentum thing, I do. But realistically if its a draw tomorrow, Jose will be delighted as long as everyone comes through it injury free. As for Liverpool they will be hoping for the win to leapfrog United but in reality its not a significant achievement. United will be more concerned with a win on Tuesday as it is a much much more important game in their season. That been said neither teams season will fall apart by a defeat tomorrow.

So you couldn't care less about this result then?

I won't celebrate 2nd, but I would be delighted to see us get around 80+ points in a second place finish as a sign of progress towards the ultimate goal.

I say this as an unashamedly grumpy fecker, but stop being so curmudgeonly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have some friends who are Liverpool fans and we get on great. I'd give them my last tenner before the game and we'll shake hands and have a laugh and some banter after the game...
    But for 90 minutes, twice a year, we fu##ing hate eachother.
    It doesn't matter if we're playing for the league, 2nd vs 3rd or 8th vs 9th.
    Its a rivalry. Its bitter. Its personal.
    Its bloody brilliant and I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2nd place is still a thing you can put on your (extended) club honours. Runner-up can go on your pendant, 3rd and 4th can't.

So I think there's still value in finishing as runner up. Premier league throw even more money at you too, so there's that for the modern fans.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

2nd place is still a thing you can put on your (extended) club honours. Runner-up can go on your pendant, 3rd and 4th can't.

So I think there's still value in finishing as runner up.
    Premier league throw even more money at you too, so there's that for the modern fan.

I don’t think that means anything to either club though so it’s irrelevant. Maybe a team like Newcastle or West Ham would care about a second place pendant, no offence to either teams but not United or Liverpool.

Bragging rights is all there is, as sad as that does be but sure f*ck it, no harm in acting like a juvenile twat for a few hours :pac:

• Advertisement

Its still an important game in the race for the champions league spots, either team loses and chelsea win that gap is only 4 or 6 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not worried about top 4 tbh. We would have to go on a pretty disastrous run and have Chelsea go on a great run for them to claw back 9 points. Of course it's possible, but unlikely imo.

I'm not worried about top 4 tbh. We would have to go on a pretty disastrous run and have Chelsea go on a great run for them to claw back 9 points. Of course it's possible, but unlikely imo.

While I do like to live in hope for upcoming results. We were 2 good comebacks away from possibly being in 4th ourselves

While I do like to live in hope for upcoming results. We were 2 good comebacks away from possibly being in 4th ourselves

If ifs and buts we're candy and nuts then something something........

We are in poor form but grinding out wins playing well only for patches of games. That has both positive and negative aspects to it but points on the board is all that matters at this stage of the season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If ifs and buts we're candy and nuts then something something........

We are in poor form but grinding out wins playing well only for patches of games. That has both positive and negative aspects to it but points on the board is all that matters at this stage of the season

My op was a win here is important in the race for top 4 my 2nd point was we are only two bad results away from being back on the line and we haven't been playing great. Top 4 is far from done and dusted yet imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So I think there's still value in finishing as runner up. Premier league throw even more money at you too, so there's that for the modern fans.
    Well; if these figures are accurate, there's just over £11m more for finishing 2nd as opposed to fourth. Now that'd be nice in your or my bank account but,to the likes of utd and Liverpool, it's small beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

My op was a win here is important in the race for top 4 my 2nd point was we are only two bad results away from being back on the line and we haven't been playing great. Top 4 is far from done and dusted yet imo

The problem is that you are presuming that Chelsea suddenly hit some sort of form that causes them to not drop many points. Which is unlikely.

As you know even in that run of draws at Christmas I felt our top 4 spot was done and dusted really considering the other teams we were competing with for it.

Still feel the same, if Chelsea weren't gone on holiday, if arsenal weren't arsenal, if Spurs weren't just as likely to have an eye on the summer now the season is practically over for them again I might be concerned but I'm just not in the least.

The run in we have, the points accumulated to now, the form if the chasing pack all give me peace of mind.

The only team I can see dropping out is Spurs, important for them to secure that top 4 position now

Edit: and obviously from a united point of view Spurs are irrelevant . Neither if the two out side the top four desperate to get in look capable at the minute.

If they were b breathing down our necks or something maybe but it's just the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Sooner the better little old Leeds get promoted and Manchester United have their 'real' rivals back twice a season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Alot of comments from fans of both teams saying this game doesn't really mean all that much in terms of silverware, and therefore many aren't bothered either way. Indicative of the gloryhunting Irish fan I feel, wear a jersey in the pub and slag their mates for an hour, but aren't really all that bothered or invested either way, how could they be when so far removed from the cities? For anyone born in the shadow of Old Trafford or Anfield, it doesn't matter what's up for grabs, it's a must win game (and I'm not having a dig at any Irish fan who also see's it as a must win game).

Second place!!!!!!

Its worth pointing out that nobody wants to or said they want to celebrate finishing 2nd place, this little rant of yours and all the subsequent posts are based on something that exists only in your own head. Well done I suppose.

There was a discussion regarding rivalry and the impact of a result when direct rivals are neck and neck, but whether that was for 2nd, 3rd, or 10th place was wholly incidental.

But thats match threads I guess, all the best posters not bothering to read posts, instead just ****ting out whatever comes into their head based upon a quick skim. Quality stuff.

Right, but for the majority of fans and players (yes players, because really what connection or understanding of this rivalry do they really have) this is really the lesser in terms of importance over the next 5 days.

One man's typical gloryhunter us another man's typical rational human.

Whoever wins will have the bragging rights that will last a short period of time, that's about it the loser will feel crushed for a short period of time or the game will end in a draw where both can claim some victory moral or otherwise probably.

You know if there wasn't a big game on Tuesday it might feel different but there is. There is only one game that is vitally important to the clubs season this week and this game isn't it. Sad as that is.

Edit: Responding to that guy who doesn't rate Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sorry lads but got a text there saying Pogbas ourt? Any truth? This guy wouldn’t be in the know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sorry lads but got a text there saying Pogbas ourt? Any truth? This guy wouldn’t be in the know :D

Yup

If he wouldn't be in the know he probably just saw the headline from last night now so. :)

According to a tweet I saw by the telegraph he's out

Just hoping whatever it is he is taken out as a precaution for the cl game rather then anything too serious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

If he wouldn't be in the know he probably just saw the headline from last night now so. :)

Ha ha was working all night... only up now. What’s wrong with him?

Ha ha was working all night... only up now. What’s wrong with him?

Gash on his leg was the word last night, nothing concrete yet. Will know soon enough though I'd inagine

Gash on his leg was the word

Beats being gash on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

McTominay rules out too supposedly, United really down to the bare bones in midfield if that’s true.. if Pogba is out I can see us going 352 with Carrick and Matic in the middle and Lingard being a work horse ahead of them.

Carrick is the one I’d worry about with the Press..

Although it could be just Jose being Jose and leaking stuff to the press and then they both play..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Right, but for the majority of fans and players (yes players, because really what connection or understanding of this rivalry do they really have) this is really the lesser in terms of importance over the next 5 days.

One man's typical gloryhunter us another man's typical rational human.

Whoever wins will have the bragging rights that will last a short period of time, that's about it the loser will feel crushed for a short period of time or the game will end in a draw where both can claim some victory moral or otherwise probably.

You know if there wasn't a big game on Tuesday it might feel different but there is. There is only one game that is vitally important to the clubs season this week and this game isn't it. Sad as that is.

Edit: Responding to that guy who doesn't rate Ronaldo

I guess the difference for the "real" fans is it's not possible to stay rational over a game with their sworn enemy. When you're so far removed from the rivalry and the cities and watch the game down the pub, it's easy to take a step back and be rational about it. Not so easy for the locals heading into the game now while the tension is palpable

• Advertisement

Beats being gash on the left.

Down to the bare bones though isn't it if mctominay is out too. No Herrera, half fit fellaini. I don't look forward to seeing Carrick get terrorized for the afternoon :)

Gotta love them "real" fans arguments. On an Irish message board of all places about an English team :D as if it's somewhat insulting to tell me I don't care as much about this game as a guy living in the shadows of old Trafford. Well thanks for that illuminating information

I must tell me cousins though, which do live in the shadows of old Trafford that they are a disgrace for being able to discuss this rationally in our group chat. They will be thankful to know that too on their way to the game :)

I love this club, have grown up steeped in it's history through family connections and have spent many a happy day cheering the team on from a seat at the ground. Whether or not you would consider me a real fan because I can see the bigger picture or not is considerably low on my list of things I care about.

My rationality will go out the window come kick off time and probably for most of the day today, and maybe tomorrow. But for now and from Monday for sure. I'm fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sources leak possible Man Utd lineup: :p
    [IMG][/img]Man-Yoo-formation-tactics.png

Pogba out :(

Sources leak possible Man Utd lineup:
    [IMG][/img]Man-Yoo-formation-tactics.png

Pogba is meant to be out and I'd doubt Jones will be left back, Shaw rb or valencia cb being honest with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Pogba out :(

booooo down with this sort of thing

• Henderson out :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Henderson out :(

Says who? He arrived with the rest of the squad. We'll find out in about 8 minutes anyhow who is in and who is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Really attacking side there in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement