Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut back Bare root laurel?

Options
  • 07-03-2018 1:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

have just planted bare root laurel for a hedge. 2 - 3 foot high. Should I cut these back and by how much? Also does cutting back mean cutting the top off or also cutting back any side shoots left?
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

New to gardening so does anyone know this? I would be much obliged for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

If you have just planted them let them grow for the year or more and then you can cut. The plants have to establish themselves first.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

My understanding is that you plant things like hawthorn and cut them back by a third to encourage multiple stems early on. I think that laurel starts off with stems (albeit short stems) already, so doesn't need to be cut back.

Oh, and after a year or so with laurel, depending on growth, you would start to reduce them slightly all around so that they really bush out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

baaba maal wrote: »
    My understanding is that you plant things like hawthorn and cut them back by a third to encourage multiple stems early on. .

I thought it was to reduce the foliage demands on establishing roots. If the foliage can't be serviced then it will suffer drought-like damage.

Advertisement