Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mortgage Application - UK Credit check?

• 07-03-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

I'm currently applying to Ulster Bank and Haven for a mortgage of about EUR 400k. Myself and my wife's credit and earnings would be quite decent here, so are fairly confident about the application in general. Only thing is, I had a small student loan from UK when i was younger that I didn't fully pay back. Always meant to finalise the paymens, but they stopped sending letters and I eventually just forgot about it. Here I am though 11 years later and worried that this may come back to haunt me. I've contacted the loan provider to ask them for details on how I can settle with them - not even sure if they have wiped it or not, but am checking in any case. 
    Does anyone have any advise with regards to mortgage application?  Would a UK credit check be performed as part of the process? Would something from 11 years ago even show?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If you've been living and working in Ireland for the last number of years you have nothing to worry about. The lender will carry out a credit report with the ICB (www.icb.ie) only unless of course you give them a recent UK address and if so you will have to provide a UK credit report.

I would think you have nothing to worry about and best of luck with your application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Ok phew! Thank you very much Trish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Its likely that its not on the uk credit search at this stage either. If they have written it off (very likely after 11 years) it drops off your record 6 years after the writeoff date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldn't worry about it, I got a mortgage in Dublin no issues and still have a student loan in UK (for about 15 years at this stage)

Advertisement