Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeper bike , bike sharing just started up in Sligo

Options
  • 07-03-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Bleeper bike , bicycle sharing has just launched in Sligo.
    Seems a good idea.

Only issue at the moment is they don't supply cycling helmets, and I think it's always a good idea to wear helmets when cycling, you never know if you are going to fall off , or get knocked off. Its a case of bring your own .. or do without! As someone put it on twitter.

I can see in one way where they are coming from,how would they store them, distribute them , and would someone want to wear someone else's sweaty helmet, and then if they get a knock they should be replaced. But on the other hand if someone is out and just wants to conveniently hire the bike and not necessarily be carrying a helmet on them then they are going to be riding without a helmet.

I would wonder how they get by this insurance wise as well, hiring out bikes without protection (helmets)

Should it be a legal requirement to wear a helmet when riding a bike? 1 vote

Yes:
    0% 0 votes
    No:
    0% 0 votes
    not legal requirement - but a good idea to:
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seems a good idea.

Only issue at the moment is they don't supply cycling helmets, and I think it's always a good idea to wear helmets when cycling, you never know if you are going to fall off , or get knocked off. Its a case of bring your own .. or do without! As someone put it on twitter.

I can see in one way where they are coming from,how would they store them, distribute them , and would someone want to wear someone else's sweaty helmet, and then if they get a knock they should be replaced. But on the other hand if someone is out and just wants to conveniently hire the bike and not necessarily be carrying a helmet on them then they are going to be riding without a helmet.

I would wonder how they get by this insurance wise as well, hiring out bikes without protection (helmets)

I'm not aware of any bike share scheme that supplies helmets - they're not a legal requirement, it's up to the cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod voice

There's a helmet megathread over here. This has been discussed before. No need for a poll. Will be moving posts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057030568

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why stop at helmets? What about hiviz jackets? Gloves, glasses, panniers, a Garmin satnav, puncture repair kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Cyclists need protection from cars. A helmet is not going to provide that protection. Proper infrastructure, education of motorists, and a change in the present culture of aggressive and impatient behaviour toward cyclists, will protect cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any bike share scheme that supplies helmets - they're not a legal requirement, it's up to the cyclist.

Auckland & Melbourne do, but then again helmets are legal requirements down here:rolleyes:
    I presume other cities that do bike schemes here / Aus would be similar but I have not seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Has anyone used Bleeper bike anywhere else? Is it better/worse than Dublin Bikes?

I might sign-up for the Sligo one and see if it's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Auckland & Melbourne do, but then again helmets are legal requirements down here:rolleyes:
    I presume other cities that do bike schemes here / Aus would be similar but I have not seen them.

from what I've heard the Melbourne scheme has had very low takeup, with the helmet requirement being one reason (and a general anti-cycling culture in Oz).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Seems a good idea.

The more cyclists few death effect saves more lives than helmets ever will

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2015/02/24/the-more-cyclists-in-a-country-the-fewer-fatal-crashes-report-infographic/#5e16b92133b3

Advertisement