Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor quality bales of silage.

• 07-03-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,

Just a query. My silage bales are all must on the top quarter. Very difficult to feed animals. When I eventually get into it the rest of the bale is sound. The contractor cut and turned the silage, It was left one day to wilt. Contractor also supplied wrap.
    Any ideas guys. Would it be poor quality wrap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Hi guys,

Just a query. My silage bales are all must on the top quarter. Very difficult to feed animals. When I eventually get into it the rest of the bale is sound. The contractor cut and turned the silage, It was left one day to wilt. Contractor also supplied wrap.
    Any ideas guys. Would it be poor quality wrap?
    Sound like birds pecked at the top and air and moisture got in.
    A few of my bales had the same if you look closely at the top of the wrapped bale you can see small puncture holes. Also had one or two mouldy at the bottom that was stones poking the base of them in the yard and letting air and water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SLIPPERY FROG

jimini0 wrote: »
    Sound like birds pecked at the top and air and moisture got in.
    A few of my bales had the same if you look closely at the top of the wrapped bale you can see small puncture holes. Also had one or two mouldy at the bottom that was stones poking the base of them in the yard and letting air and water in.

I dunno tbh.. never happened before have looked at the bales and they seem fine. The bale looks perfect till opened and the top quarter is bad.
    Wonder is all the plastic used by contractors to a standard.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

I dunno tbh.. never happened before have looked at the bales and they seem fine. The bale looks perfect till opened and the top quarter is bad.
    Wonder is all the plastic used by contractors to a standard.?

Well with my limited knowledge of silage I suspect it's bad handing or birds. I could be wrong. Maybe ask in the main farming forum there is plenty of knowledgeable people there would answer your question

Advertisement