Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home incentive scheme

Options
  • 07-03-2018 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi,

We did some revocation work in 2017.
    Cost c.25k.
    Contractor confirmed he was fine with the home improvement scheme.
    Work finished. A good bit of issues with the contractor.
    At the end we paid full amount. He issued the invoice, but not registering the works with the revenue.

Anything I can do?
    Any suggestion?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As I understand it the contractor has to be VAT-registered and tax compliant to have access to the system and must register the work for you to be able to claim the tax credit. If you've already paid it seems unlikely you have any leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Inquire with Revenue.

We had a lot of work done and got a lot of money back through this scheme in the form of tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭cargen

He confirmed he was registered and no problem on applying for the tax credit before starting the works.
    But now we can get him anymore for different reasons.
    He issued an invoice and we paid all via bank transfers.
    Do we have any chance if we talk to revenue?

At the end of the day he should pay the vat.

It's regardless of whether he's paid the VAT. The work has to be registered on the system for Revenue to be able to use it for your tax credit. You should log on to the HRI section of Revenue Online to see if it's available there and if not you can double check with Revenue but if the contractor hasn't logged it then you won't get the tax back.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭cargen

It's regardless of whether he's paid the VAT. The work has to be registered on the system for Revenue to be able to use it for your tax credit. You should log on to the HRI section of Revenue Online to see if it's available there and if not you can double check with Revenue but if the contractor hasn't logged it then you won't get the tax back.

I checked and it is not logged on the system.
    Cannot the revenue chase the contractor?
    At the end this looks to me tax evasion.

• Advertisement

cargen wrote: »
    I checked and it is not logged on the system.
    Cannot the revenue chase the contractor?
    At the end this looks to me tax evasion.

Again, this is nothing to do with whether the VAT was paid. It's likely the VAT was paid but the work was not submitted for the HRI scheme database which is not required for tax compliance. It's the customer's job to chase the contractor to register the work on the HRI scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You’re supposed to make sure he inputs the information before the works start, as far as I know.
    I doubt there’s anything you can do about it now, since you’ve already paid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement