Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting loads of interviews but not a peep back.

Options
  • 07-03-2018 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I'm on the job hunt about 3 months now, I haven't got loads of work experience behind me but it's varied enough that it's leaves my options pretty open. I was actually pleasantly shocked at how many interviews I'm getting it's nearing around 1 a week sometimes 2.

So it seems like I'm a model employee until I actually do the interview and I don't seem to be getting any word back.

I'm healthily self-critical so I do a self evaluation after every interview and pick a few things I should try improve for the next one. But the lack of responses after meeting people, compared to the response I get via email is quite daunting and for that reason I'm trying to think of what's different in person than over the email.

Appearance wise I'd say I look pretty professional, I normally wear a smart jacket and shirt (with or without a tie depending on what I can see about the company online) and slacks, all washed and ironed that day. Hygiene wise, I always shower that day, wear deodorant, brush my teeth and even bring mouthwash the odd time and swish some 15 mins beforehand.

I do suffer from the usual interview nerves so I consciously adjust my body language to appear more confident and make good but not intrusive eye contact. I can stumble over my words but not every sentence, I feel like I articulate what I want to say well.

So I'm just wondering does anyone have any advice on factors I should consider or insights on why I'm not getting the call backs after a good record of getting interviews ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Oh actually one factor I forgot to add and it's probably important, I did suddenly leave my job in January with no prospects so that doesn't look great, but to be honest I change my reason for leaving depending on the job I'm applying for, I usually have a well prepared reason so that aspect doesn't seem to gather too much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How long were you in that job for?

Getting back to someone over a bad interview runs the risk of a lawsuit if you say the wrong thing.

the_syco wrote: »
    How long were you in that job for?

Getting back to someone over a bad interview runs the risk of a lawsuit if you say the wrong thing.

I was in the job for just over a year. Yeah true I can see why businesses would be reluctant to deal with unsuccessful candidates any longer than they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I'm no expert and can't at all tell without meeting you in person but is it possible, based on your post, that maybe you're trying too hard to be the perfect interviewee and not displaying your natural personality? I know when I did my first few interviews out of school it was like that for me before my Mam told me to relax and go in as me and not who I think they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fozzydog3 wrote:
    Oh actually one factor I forgot to add and it's probably important, I did suddenly leave my job in January with no prospects so that doesn't look great, but to be honest I change my reason for leaving depending on the job I'm applying for, I usually have a well prepared reason so that aspect doesn't seem to gather too much attention.

It shouldn't matter. I did the same with no issues. As I work in IT where charging jobs is routine, I've come to the conclusion that it takes a minimum of three months to get a new job.

If you are going via recruiters then pester them to get feedback. In a lot of job openings, employers may not want to give any feedback or make a decision to rule out people for weeks until they get a sense for the quality of applicants.

• Advertisement

correction wrote: »
    I'm no expert and can't at all tell without meeting you in person but is it possible, based on your post, that maybe you're trying too hard to be the perfect interviewee and not displaying your natural personality? I know when I did my first few interviews out of school it was like that for me before my Mam told me to relax and go in as me and not who I think they're looking for.

That's a fair point I'll ease up a tad and hopefully appear more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

You should always wear a suit, first impressions are great , always follow up on the interview with an e mail to say thanks and give them a few points on how you would be suitable for the job , what line of work are you in ? What are your qualifications?

You should always wear a suit, first impressions are great , always follow up on the interview with an e mail to say thanks and give them a few points on how you would be suitable for the job , what line of work are you in ? What are your qualifications?

I feel like I'd be over dressed in a full suit for most of the places I'm applying for (that's also based on peer's experience). Following up is something I've recently started to implement so thanks for the good advice. I'm applying for tourism and entry level admin jobs. And my qualifications are limited to a PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Have you tried going through a recruitment agency? They’ll usually do prep interviews with you and give you tips on mistakes you might be making that you’re not aware of. They’ll usually get you feedback as well

Have you tried going through a recruitment agency? They’ll usually do prep interviews with you and give you tips on mistakes you might be making that you’re not aware of. They’ll usually get you feedback as well

Last time I went with one of those, this one drags me all the way into town for her to say that I seem too "relaxed" for that position, I asked her if she'd like to expand on that and she goes "I dunno you have a relaxed demeanor about you" but what do you know she had a job for me to actually work with them, so I fill out an application form and she told me to wait for her boss, well they left me in there on my own for 20 minutes until I just walked out.

I may have to go to one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Just stood up and walked? Did you give them a farewell or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I suffer from a similar problem OP and for me personally it's just down to a lack of preparation. I have 5 years experience so I know what I'm doing, but I had a mare in my last interview and walked myself into a few competency based errors around dealing with troublesome cases/colleagues.

I didn't put the effort in simple as that. When you're in the moment you think if you continue waffling then you've done a good interview. It's only after the fact you realise you fcuked up. Nothing to do with how you're dressed (as long as you look professional).

Next time just really do your homework. Learn about the company and get someone to help prepare for basic questions around problem solving, competency, teamwork and conflict resolution. Act like you want the job by showing interest and ask questions and trust me when I say nerves are understandable, but it's important that you don't let your nerve be misinterpreted as either a) disinterest in being there and b) not knowing what you're talking about. Prep will help calm you on both scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If you turned up for a meeting with a recruiter without a suit, I can see why they might say you seem too relaxed. I wouldn’t dream of going to meet a recruiter or employer without a suit. I believe you should always wear a suit to an interview. It may not be the issue you’re not getting interviews but certainly won’t do you any harm.

You mention that you’re looking for 3 months and doing nearly 1 interview a week. That’s quite a lot of interviews. You’re interview skills should be well honed at this stage. It might be worth making an appointment with an interview coach so maybe you’re not interviewing as well you think.

On a positive note your CV is obviously very strong, indicated by the number of interviews. I presume these interviews are with employers directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Usually you'll be given a chance to ask some questions of your own. Always do this, and one of the questions should be 'It was great meeting you, and thank you for this opportunity. Can I ask what the next steps are in your process and when perhaps I'll hear some feeback'?

Then, maybe a day later or two, send them an email. It'll keep your name in their minds, and their inbox.

Dear whoever
    Thank you for the interview opportunity on the 15th and it was great to meet Joe and Ann. I would love the opportunity to work for ACME and support their Ads team. Can I ask what the next steps are in the process and when perhaps I'll hear some feeback'
    Kind regards
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you supplying references with your cv ??

Is it possible that the employer which you “left suddenly” is making this clear when contacted and so making you appear unreliable??

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I've worked in tourism/ hospitality. If you don't turn up in a suit and tie I wouldn't give you a job.
    Construction maybe....but anything in a customer service role a suit and tie is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

tringle wrote: »
    I've worked in tourism/ hospitality. If you don't turn up in a suit and tie I wouldn't give you a job.
    Construction maybe....but anything in a customer service role a suit and tie is needed.

Replying to my own post, a simple rule is what do they wear in that job...and bring it up a notch. They need to see what you would look like in the " uniform" and will you suit their image.
    For females, if that job has a skirt as a uniform then you need to wear a skirt, if they normally have tied up hair then you need to do that. For men a suit...simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you are getting interviews then your CV gets through, but you need to work on the interview part. Employers are looking for a fit, if they don't see it, then you don't get through.

I recommend you get this book, read it through and prepare very thoroughly. I have recommended it to loads of people, and every single one got a job offer. No association, of course.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answers-Tough-Interview-Questions/dp/0749481420/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Since this is annoying you now, I'd recommend an interview / career coach.
    It may be a bit of money, but they could spot something that the interviewers have picked up on that you are unaware of.

I knew someone who was highly qualified, great experience and kept getting rejected at interviews.
    They went to an interview coach, and within the first few minutes told her she stares very intensely without blinking!
    This totally put her off and said it may come across as too intense and odd.
    She worked on changing it and got the next interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The “always wear a suit” mantra is old hat.

When I see someone turn up in a suit when it’s inappropriate I immediately think they’re overcompensating for lack of confidence or ability. I’ve had interviewees so uncomfortable in a suit that I told them to take off the jacket and tie if they were more comfortable as it was unnecessary, they were literally cooking themselves in the damn thing.

Yes there are certain instances where a suit is applicable for an interview but OP isn’t in tuat realm.

I’m thinking either op is getting a bad reference or the interview skills aren’t up to scratch.

Again, no offence intended but perhaps the CV is better than the candidate, it’s a common thing, you read a cv and see a perfect candidate, but what sits down across the desk is a doppelger at best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do interview training...simple as...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I agree with the suit, but not sure about the follow up email, I think all the formalities should be done at the interview and at the end for all the thanks etc.

Sending them an email after to me seems a bit too much like sucking up, everyone has their interview time - use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

OSI wrote: »
    Haven't worn a suit to an interview since I was 18.

The bit that sticks out to me is:

Obviously we don't know you OP, but that sets off alarm bells for me as to your attitude towards interviews.

I agree, that's a really bad attitude to have. What was the issue having to wait for the boss for 20 minutes?

I'll just reply to everyone on this post:

1. For the recruiter I was wearing a suit and tie, I just really didn't like the recruiters attitude from the get go but that was about 2 years ago so ancient history in my eyes.

2. After reading your comments I think I'll err on the side of caution and wear a tie from now on (dress for the role you want to be in and all that).

3. As for referees I've only provided them the twice I've been asked so I don't think that's the issue but I may check into that.

4. I've started sending follow up emails, I do feel a bit bad especially if theyve to interview a lot of people but if it gets me that step ahead.

So thanks for the feedback lads and ladies, I've got 3 interviews this week (2 are second round interviews), I'll report back how I get on.

Personally I think follow up letters are a waste of your time. I also think they mess with your head. Job applications and interviews are fire and forget. If you get the job they'll contact you. You need to focus 100% on the next interview.

If you want feedback on your overview technique go do some interview training with a professional company. They video you and analyse it with you as you improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

As someone who recruits I would suggest not to send the follow up email unless it is a very niche position. It can come across as pushy and would put me off in most cases. I've had candidates call me after interviews asking how they got on and if they got the position even if I gave them a date that they would be contacted by. It sometimes can be a red flag as to the type of person you really are.
    One last thing is let your personality shine through. I see loads of wooden candidates who think an interview has to be formal and often put on this persona . I like to see what type of person you are, what your interests and hobbies are. This often tell a recruiter more about a candidate than their cv ever can.

No reply or feedback is just practical for the recruiter, and it's become the norm. Follow up contact from the applicant suggests they struggle to deal with that kind of pragmatism. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Hey. If you have exp. working with Amadeus or any other GDS (native mode) Convergys in Santry are hiring for corporate travel roles.

Volthar wrote: »
    Hey. If you have exp. working with Amadeus or any other GDS (native mode) Convergys in Santry are hiring for corporate travel roles.

Perfect I'll send them on my CV thanks for that.

If they do an employee referral bonus I can stick your name or email address down if you want ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    Perfect I'll send them on my CV thanks for that.

If they do an employee referral bonus I can stick your name or email address down if you want ?

Good luck with your application.

Advertisement