Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Referees

Options
  • 07-03-2018 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

When an application form states " IF YOU ARE OR HAVE BEEN IN EMPLOYMENT, REFEREES SHOULD BE EXISTING OR FORMER EMPLOYERS" Its very hard when filling in the application to put down existing employer. Even after the Interview they could ring the existing employer & still not offer the job. What do boardies put down in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

hillbloom wrote: »
    When an application form states " IF YOU ARE OR HAVE BEEN IN EMPLOYMENT, REFEREES SHOULD BE EXISTING OR FORMER EMPLOYERS" Its very hard when filling in the application to put down existing employer. Even after the Interview they could ring the existing employer & still not offer the job. What do boardies put down in this situation.

I would either A: Put down my last employers
    B: Put the current employers name but have a little note asking
    them not to contact them until a later date.
    C: Put a trusted team leader down if you have one that you get on
    with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I never ever put down references on an application form. Sure it makes live easy for HR, they can check up the references before hand etc... but it also means that every tom, dick and harry are going to annoy your referees for no good reason. And the last thing you need is PO referees.

I usually state: "Referees will be provided once a mutual interest has been established."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Jim2007 wrote: »

I usually state: "Referees will be provided once a mutual interest has been established."

If you don't mind me saying so that sounds a bit snotty. 'References on request' is perfectly satisfactory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

AllForIt wrote: »
    If you don't mind me saying so that sounds a bit snotty. 'References on request' is perfectly satisfactory.

There is nothing snotty about it, I’m telling them exactly what will happen and there is no point ringing me up to get them in advance for checking because they will be refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

There is nothing snotty about it, I’m telling them exactly what will happen and there is no point ringing me up to get them in advance for checking because they will be refused.

As will your application in some, but presumably not all, cases.

I wouldn't bother asking a current employer for a reference, it can cause problems for the applicant and a current employer can give a partial/bad reference if they are annoyed that the applicant is leaving. Prior employers give a more insightful account of the applicant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

AllForIt wrote: »

They’re already requesting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

References available on request is a perfectly reasonable way to phrase it, I'd be wary about the above though. It just implys to me that you may be a difficult candidate to deal with, and at initial application stage that is not the impression you want to create.

To the op, most organisations will only require references once they know they want to hire you, it's actually an incredibly time consuming process so I know I certainly don't do it for every applicant I bring for interview. If you put available on request on the application and then be prepared to provide relatively relevant (I.E. previous managers who can give an accurate view on how you performed in a role) once asked you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Catch-22 situation.
    If you're in a job and want another job you have to put that job down as apart of your work history. Nothing stopping them from ringing HR or there other to get a reference.
    Only thing you can do is put down "references available upon request" and only to be given out during an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Where I work, the recruitment section will ask applicant if it's okay to contact referees once the applicant has been successful at interview.

They've enough to be doing to contact referees in advance of interview.

Advertisement