Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur vs Juventus, Last 16 2nd Leg, RTE2 & BT Sport 2 (k.o. 7.45)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd say your hurting understandably
    But I'm delighted your out, I'm not a neutral nor do I pretend to be
    Take it this way tho, it means Spurs are becoming more relevant
    Tbf to Spurs they made this a great contest and were probably unlucky not to go through be Juve just doing what they have been doing for years

Well as long as none of the other English sides or Real Madrid win it this year I'm happy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Litchsteiner comeing on made a huge difference. Son was absolutely mullering Barzagli for the first 60 minutes. Once Litchsteiner came on at right back, and Barzagli went back to centre back with the immense Chillini, Juve were able to get a foothold into the game, and Spurs has no answer.

Fantastic tie I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Spurs played well but Juventus have two lethal strikers that you cant give a sniff to. I also thought the linesman was terrible as juve were playing a perfect line and there was loads of times that spurs were off but never called it. Juve also should have had a penalty. Spurs will be disappointed but they should take Solace that they nearly beat a great great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sorry, I missed the part where we are meant to support and admire CHEATS!

Wonderful result for football :)

Who said anything about supporting and admiring? Calling him a rat is pretty far removed from that. Presume you feel similar about Dybala?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Try googling irony and sarcasm while you’re at it there boss

Nothing sarcastic about your posts. Suits you to spin your agenda when your pulled up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I also have to say it was great to see the passion from chiellini and buffom celebrating every save and interception, legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

fullstop wrote: »
    Who said anything about supporting and admiring? Calling him a rat is pretty far removed from that. Presume you feel similar about Dybala?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Has it completely gone unnoticed by the pundits (at least on BT) that Lloris was horrendous for the Dybala goal? Retreats back into his six yard box and makes it so easy for Dybala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Juve played well for the first 20 minutes of the first leg and for about 10 minutes in the second leg. Then to be fair defended very well to close out the tie (with a bit of luck).

Think Spurs will be kicking themselves tomorrow morning all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spurs switched off for 5 minutes and it cost them dearly.
    They will learn from this. They played very well over the two legs but you can never switch off.
    Fair play to Juventus, you don't reach two consecutive finals and not learn from it.
    Hard luck Spurs from an Arsenal fan.

• Advertisement

Nothing sarcastic about your posts. Suits you to spin your agenda when your pulled up on it.

Yeah cos calling Juve saints was totally straight :pac:

Oooooh the bitterness in spurs fans is sweet!!

Bottlers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nokotan wrote: »
    Has it completely gone unnoticed by the pundits (at least on BT) that Lloris was horrendous for the Dybala goal? Retreats back into his six yard box and makes it so easy for Dybala

Gave him the eyes, and put him on ground. Cut it near post, he's a class striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

SlickRic wrote: »
    That wasn't a bottle job. Not even close.

Juve were just ruthless for 15 minutes of the tie. It happens. The big boys don't mess around too often.

I don't think you can say getting two away goals, and then going another one ahead in the home leg is not bottling it. They had themselves in a commanding position, and then lost it in the space of two minutes. Doesn't matter who they are playing or who they are, for any team that is a bottle job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As a pool supporter,im sorry to see spurs go out,on a side note if they start selling the big boys,SON would look good in the red of Liverpool. PS: where was the great white hope of English football til the 90th min,completely marked out of it by the old men of turin

I'd keep quite if I supported another PL team left in this competition. Juventus could do the exact same thing to you.

Gave him the eyes, and put him on ground. Cut it near post, he's a class striker.

I thought Lloris was very slow as well off his line, thought I was the only one! Thought it was shocking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He’s a rat. Horrible disgusting cheat. Scourge on the game. Do you need me to go on?
    Nah don't bother yourself, no interest in reading nonsense thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Another thing your going to learn from this thread along with your new found knowledge of Juventus past is that I’m not a Spurs fan.

Save your childish remarks for the spurs fans in the playground tomorrow.

Lloris should be much further out.

Hamann making the point now on RTE. I think if that was a more maligned goalkeeper did that they'd be battered for it. Fair play to RTE for noticing.

Another thing your going to learn from this thread along with your new found knowledge of Juventus past is that I’m not a Spurs fan.

Congratulations?

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I thought Lloris was very slow as well off his line, thought I was the only one! Thought it was shocking!!!

High line and keeper keeping goal post company, was not ideal. Could have been in a sweeper position on edge of box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I don't think you can say getting two away goals, and then going another one ahead in the home leg is not bottling it. They had themselves in a commanding position, and then lost it in the space of two minutes. Doesn't matter who they are playing or who they are, for any team that is a bottle job.

But they were 0-2 down in the first leg and pulled 2 goals back. They were only ever one goal ahead in the whole tie, don't see how people can say they bottled it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd say your hurting understandably
    But I'm delighted your out, I'm not a neutral nor do I pretend to be
    Take it this way tho, it means Spurs are becoming more relevant
    Tbf to Spurs they made this a great contest and were probably unlucky not to go through be Juve just doing what they have been doing for years

And I've no problem with that. I'll probably be happy if/when Utd go out, as I'm not their biggest fan. Its just seeing the collective delight at seeing Spurs get beaten is annoying if nothing else.

But as you say, I'm just pissed and angry at pretty much everything right now. So bollox to the lot of yis...see you in the top 4 (Liverpool and United anyway) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The only bitterness in this thread is coming from you. You're coming across as a bit of weirdo to be honest.

Chiellini on RTE talking about the match, how they knew how the game would go, giving some insights into their plan and mentality and Tony O'Donoghue asks him about a penalty. Chiellini basically says he doesn't care and wants to talk about the match.

jiltloop wrote: »
    The only bitterness in this thread is coming from you. You're coming across as a bit of weirdo to be honest.

Settle down there buddy, lots of personal abuse. It’s only a game lads. Sorry I called one of your players a rat cheat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nokotan wrote: »
    Chiellini on RTE talking about the match, how they knew how the game would go, giving some insights into their plan and mentality and Tony O'Donoghue asks him about a penalty. Chiellini basically says he doesn't care and wants to talk about the match.

I'd love if he said Trap warned me about trying to talk to you :pac:

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd love if he said Trap warned me about trying to talk to you :pac:

Don't care what people say about MON, Tony O'Donoghue is an awful interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fair play to Juve, did the job.

But Spurs were awful overall, after how well they played in the 1st leg too.

Maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

SteM wrote: »
    But they were 0-2 down in the first leg and pulled 2 goals back. They were only ever one goal ahead in the whole tie, don't see how people can say they bottled it.

When you're 2 down the pressure is off in many ways,you have no choice really but to cut lose and.have a go. Having a 2 goal cushion with a half hour to go on the other hand......

SOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They were awful in fairness.
    They were desperate. Why do they feel the need to be so biased just 'cos it's an EPL side?

Delighted for them as much as Juve that Spurs are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

[quote="Utopia Parkway;10637251

Never give an Italian side something to hang onto. [/quote]

*cough* istanbul *cough*

SteM wrote: »

They were in complete control? They were essentially two up? They had to concede two to lose from that position and lost concentration for the two goals. It is a bottle job from a position like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you lose a game from a commanding and comfortable position, you have bottled it under pressure. When they conceded one that was it, they folded. Having been comfortable for much of the first leg after going 2 down and for 63 minutes of the second leg, it really is a bottle job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not quite sure if call I'd a bottle job because it happened so fast. Bam, bam. A joy to watch, all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Good shift from you tonight. It's exciting seeing someone lose it on the internet. What a bizarre string of posts you've made.

I presume as a Liverpool fan you are quite happy to call out Suarez as a 'cheating rat'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

jiltloop wrote: »

Its only the pre-season hes having for this weeks match thread.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Good shift from you tonight. It's exciting seeing someone lose it on the internet. What a bizarre string of posts you've made.

I presume as a Liverpool fan you are quite happy to call out Suarez as a 'cheating rat'?

If me “losing it” excited you, you really need to get out more :pac:

Not sure why you’re asking me to comment on a Barcelona player who wasn’t playing in the match this thread is for.

You’re a bit late to the party. Better luck next time!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its only the pre-season hes having for this weeks match thread.

Yeez are getting awfully personal here lads. By all means report me, but try not to make the thread all about me dearys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

“We knew Spurs were weak in defence and fragile mentally. Experience told.” - Chiellini post match

And he’s right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bridge93 wrote: »

Barcelona's Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it a bottle job per se, they just came up against a vastly experienced Juventus side who were super clinical.

Had they faced another side theyed probably have been in the QFs.
    That wasn't a bottle job. Not even close.

Juve were just ruthless for 15 minutes of the tie. It happens. The big boys don't mess around too often.

For me its what happened in that period before and after the goals.

Spurs were cruising in that game, both on the field and on the scoreboard, I thought they looked incredibly assured and in control and was very impressed. But after the first goal was conceded they changed, their passing was no longer as smooth and they were not putting as much pressure on the ball. That was a crucial time where they needed to either get their rhythm back or to shut up shop and see the game out. They did neither and then bang, hit by a second sucker punch.

So again, they now needed to get their composure back, regain control and start threatening the same way they did for the first 50 minutes so as to try and get back in front. But they didn't do it, for the next five minutes they were poor and then the game ran out without any real sense that Spurs were going to get an equaliser.

So, they were totally in charge, dropped off in performance and shipped two goals, didn't know how to react and never looked like regaining any measure of control. Maybe it's harsh but thats still a bottle job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would call it a bottle job, to be honest.

I think this 'Juve lulled them into a false sense of security' or 'experience told in the end' is not what happened.

Spurs at 100% are a better side than Juve. But they stopped playing at 100%. With about half an hour to go, Spurs dropped the intensity and organisation enough that Juve were able to take advantage, which they did ruthlessly.

So, for me, Spurs are out by and large because of what they didn't do/stopped doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Spurs dominated the first half, Juve looked flustered and we're just playing long balls to make sure the midfield was bypassed (which was clever) but they only managed to score one goal despite being on top for so long.

When Spurs got hit for 2 goals it knocked all of their confidence and they didn't show much fight after it. That was what I was most disappointed with. Even the crowd seemed a bit rattled and resigned.

I think Juve are a much better team but Spurs should have won that and mentality was a major part in losing it and Juve winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For me its what happened in that period before and after the goals.

Spurs were cruising in that game, both on the field and on the scoreboard, I thought they looked incredibly assured and in control and was very impressed. But after the first goal was conceded they changed, their passing was no longer as smooth and they were not putting as much pressure on the ball. That was a crucial time where they needed to either get their rhythm back or to shut up shop and see the game out. They did neither and then bang, hit by a second sucker punch.

So again, they now needed to get their composure back, regain control and start threatening the same way they did for the first 50 minutes so as to try and get back in front. But they didn't do it, for the next five minutes they were poor and then the game ran out without any real sense that Spurs were going to get an equaliser.

So, they were totally in charge, dropped off in performance and shipped two goals, didn't know how to react and never looked like regaining any measure of control. Maybe it's harsh but thats still a bottle job.

i agree with everything you said there really, but i just wouldn't define it as bottling the tie.

it's a lack of experience and a lack of quality in the key areas of the game.

Gabrielle Marcotti actually made a decent point last night. He said that Allegri made his alterations at half time (Lichsteiner and Asamoah on), which on the face of it seemed unusual, but Pochettino didn't really do anything to counter it. the team just ploughed on doing the same thing. Dybala and Higuain were all of a sudden closer together for Juve though, Sanchez couldn't handle it, Lloris was poor, and Juve were clinical. Allegri's changes worked, and Juve had what they wanted and erected their wall.

there is no doubt Spurs were the better footballing team. but they didn't have the nous, know-how and quality to get the job done. these big teams are clinical in the clutch moments. it's just the way it is.

Not being quite good enough in the big moments, while the opposition are, is different to bottling it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The two games were both excellent. How the tide turned so quickly was fascinating as Juventus looked rattled and very close to losing a player. Chiellini changed on a dime from having a poor game to being an absolute monster. Buffon was like a madman in the last 20 minutes as well.

I am disappointed, but spurs gave all they could and did manage to maintain composure after two quick spells of disaster in both legs. Hopefully they will learn from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs dominated the first half, Juve looked flustered and we're just playing long balls to make sure the midfield was bypassed (which was clever) but they only managed to score one goal despite being on top for so long.

When Spurs got hit for 2 goals it knocked all of their confidence and they didn't show much fight after it. That was what I was most disappointed with. Even the crowd seemed a bit rattled and resigned.

I think Juve are a much better team but Spurs should have won that and mentality was a major part in losing it and Juve winning.

What is says on the jersey matters - history and culture matters in moments like last night. There was no - one in Spurs apparel (either on the pitch, the bench or the stands) who really believed they could level it at 2 - 2 and extend the tie. On the other hand, Juve clearly believed that one goal and they would win. It's the difference between big clubs and pretenders. Juve clinically put Monaco to the sword in the semis last year too. The CL is a great competition largely because it is the domain of the great clubs. Spurs are not a great club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Johan Cruijff:

"Als Italianen 1 kans krijgen, maken ze er 2."

When Italians get 1 chance, they score 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not being quite good enough in the big moments, while the opposition are, is different to bottling it IMO.

But being the better team in a winning position and then failing to win because of mental weaknesses is.

I know its harsh, we are talking fine margins here, but Spurs lost that game because in your words they didn't have the nous and the know-how. They lost it in their heads and not at their feet, to me thats a bottle job.

• Advertisement

Still no idea how Sanchez punched a player pull on in the stomach and no one is talking about it, it's violent conduct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement