Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My credit card was used to pay for someone's online motor tax

Options
  • 07-03-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hiy. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice my bank of Ireland credit card was hacked and used to pay for someones online motor tax today to the amount of 1700 euro. I have rang boi they have said transactions have gone through and they will investigate. Can anyone give me any advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Let the bank deal with it, unless you were careless with the card or the pin was used, it's the banks problem and you should be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Deb81 wrote: »
    Hiy. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice my bank of Ireland credit card was hacked and used to pay for someones online motor tax today to the amount of 1700 euro. I have rang boi they have said transactions have gone through and they will investigate. Can anyone give me any advice please.
    Someone skimmed your card somewhere i guess cancel the card until everything is sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deb81

Was wondering does anyone know if i ring motor tax office tomorrow could they stop the disc been issued once i tell them my card was hacked

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was wondering does anyone know if i ring motor tax office tomorrow could they stop the disc been issued once i tell them my card was hacked

You have 2 threads on this.

If you have contacted the bank they will cancel payment.

You will receive money back into account and Garda can and probably will investigate and find the registered owner.

Bit silly using to tax a car as it can be easy to track back to a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Plenty of dodgy characters out there flipping cars for quick cash and not having their name associated with the deal at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The cops don't usually investigate, but considering that it's the motor tax office, so it's linked to a specific vehicle (which could well be stolen or dodgy as the other poster said) then it's best to leave it to the cops. No point in sticking your foot in it and potentially interfering.

The temptation in these situations is to wrack your brains and do your own private investigation, but there's no point. I'm careful with my cards, don't use them much, and I've had both a credit card and debit card compromised in the last few years.

Advertisement