Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP with alternative medicine background?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

I'd hope not! Most GPs would be reluctant to prescribe antibiotics if possible anyway.

Unfortunately this is not my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If a GP judges you need an antibiotic and you refuse to take one they aren't going to sign off on a potential return to work date on a cert. Wouldn't be worth the liability to their medical negligence insurance or medical registration.

I would also hope there isn't a GP in the land who believes in homeopathic nonsense. ITS WATER.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

Hi Hopppipolla,

Dr Madeline Stringer in Dundrum is a fully qualified GP and practices as such, but she also has a background in alternative therapies as they are not mutually exclusive.

If you google her name you'll find her details

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dr Madeline Stringer in Dundrum is a fully qualified GP and practices as such, but she also has a background in alternative therapies as they are not mutually exclusive.

they bloody well should be mutually exclusive - I assume medical doctors learn about the scientific method when they are being trained, & homeopathy is thoroughly discredited bunk.

At best it's a placebo, but giving it any credence (say by having a qualified GP using it) will only encourage people to disregard and avoid actual scientifically tested treatments, with potentially tragic consequences.

• Advertisement

Hi loyatemu.

The OP asked for the name of a "GP with homeopathic/holistic background", not everyone's opinions on homeopathy.

Hi loyatemu.

The OP asked for the name of a "GP with homeopathic/holistic background", not everyone's opinions on homeopathy.

Homeopathy not working is not an opinion

Nor is it an answer to the OPs question

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi loyatemu.

"they are not mutually exclusive" is an opinion and that's what I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,536 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hi loyatemu.

And this is a discussion site where discussions can spring from questions asked. This is not Ask.com, or Google. The OP doesn't get to decide how people react to their question.

• Advertisement

And yet no one was actually providing a reply. Why would anyone bother asking anything if it's constantly going to be derailed?

I was merely trying to help out the OP by providing an answer to the question they asked

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

L1011 wrote: »
    If a GP judges you need an antibiotic and you refuse to take one they aren't going to sign off on a potential return to work date on a cert. Wouldn't be worth the liability to their medical negligence insurance or medical registration.

I would also hope there isn't a GP in the land who believes in homeopathic nonsense. ITS WATER.

I was sick a few weeks ago with flu and chest infection my GP gave me a prescription for antibiotics to which i said i didn't need and wouldn't take and he still gave me a cert for work and MC1 form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/well/the-cost-of-not-taking-your-medicine.html
    There is an out-of-control epidemic in the United States that costs more and affects more people than any disease Americans currently worry about. It’s called nonadherence to prescribed medications, and it is — potentially, at least — 100 percent preventable by the very individuals it afflicts.

The numbers are staggering. “Studies have consistently shown that 20 percent to 30 percent of medication prescriptions are never filled, and that approximately 50 percent of medications for chronic disease are not taken as prescribed,” according to a review in Annals of Internal Medicine. People who do take prescription medications — whether it’s for a simple infection or a life-threatening condition — typically take only about half the prescribed doses.

This lack of adherence, the Annals authors wrote, is estimated to cause approximately 125,000 deaths and at least 10 percent of hospitalizations, and to cost the American health care system between $100 billion and $289 billion a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I was sick a few weeks ago with flu and chest infection my GP gave me a prescription for antibiotics to which i said i didn't need and wouldn't take and he still gave me a cert for work and MC1 form.

How do you know you didn't need it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Everyone in Ireland is an expert on everything. It's part of our charm.

Because i could feel myself getting better every day and was more or less at the end of my sickness by the time i went to the doctor (i only really went for the cert for work). Also having the doctor say to me to take the amoxicillin just to speed the recovery process along i just didn't see the point when i knew i was recovering fine without it (i was back to normal 3 days later perhaps with the antibiotics i would have been better in 2 i who knows).

Anyways i just felt the doctor was very flippant in prescribing them he didn't argue with me or say it was a bad idea when i said i wouldn't take them. and it fairly well document that antibiotics are way over prescribed and all the problems that is causing which also came into my decision making a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Because there was a bottle of flat 7UP on standby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

L1011 wrote: »

Homeopathy must have some value given that the British royal family use it and they live well into their 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

No it musn't, just because someone allegedly uses it and is old, it does not necessarily follow that homeopathy had anything to do with it.

It has been debunked by numerous studies, so if you prefer anecdotes to data then fire away, but homeopathy has no effect on you except to lighten your wallet.

No it musn't, just because someone allegedly uses it and is old, it does not necessarily follow that homeopathy had anything to do with it.

It has been debunked by numerous studies, so if you prefer anecdotes to data then fire away, but homeopathy has no effect on you except to lighten your wallet.

My point is that the royal family must be doing something right to live so long.

They also have very low rates of cancer compared with the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dr Brown wrote: »
    My point is that the royal family must be doing something right to live so long.

They also have very low rates of cancer compared with the general population.

Might be something to do with having immediate access to world class healthcare and living relatively privileged lifestyles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because there was a bottle of flat 7UP on standby :p
    Don't ever keep it in the fridge. Only works at room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Why pay a GP & then not take their advice?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's the downside to postmodernism. Every opinion carries equal weight.

Because they could be wrong.

I notice most GP's will want to write a prescription at the end of the consultation no matter what the issue is.

Because they could be wrong.

I notice most GP's will want to write a prescription at the end of the consultation no matter what the issue is.
    I haven't noticed that. You need to find a new doctor, or start taking better care of yourself!

Homeopathy must have some value given that the British royal family use it and they live well into their 80s and 90s.

No, it has absolutely none. It is nonsense that preys on the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe in the 19th century when the alternative was leeches and blood-letting and mercury...

But this doesn't seem very homeopathic...
    "The Duke of Edinburgh is due to have an exploratory operation on his abdomen after spending the night in hospital. The Queen's husband, who will be 92 on Monday, was admitted to the London Clinic on Thursday and is expected to stay in hospital for about two weeks."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-22809285

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/746446/queen-elizabeth-ill-sick-illness-unwell-cold-past-health

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Because i only needed the sick cert for work

Advertisement