Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for a H1-B Visa?

Options
  • 08-03-2018 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So moving to the US is not my dream or anything I'm just trying to consider as many options as possible as I'm not having much luck with finding proper work in Ireland.

So I graduated last year in Data Science and Analytics, I understand there is a lot of demand for this field in the US.

My questions are:

Is the demand enough that Data Science is an eligible field under the H1-B Visa?

Do I need to be employed by an US MNC in Ireland to be eligible? (My understanding is no but I just want to be sure)

I only graduated last year so I'm wondering would my level of experience be too low? I have been working during that time but although I am taught in Python, R etc my employer only uses Excel 🙄

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

cinnamony wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So moving to the US is not my dream or anything I'm just trying to consider as many options as possible as I'm not having much luck with finding proper work in Ireland.

So I graduated last year in Data Science and Analytics, I understand there is a lot of demand for this field in the US.

My questions are:

Is the demand enough that Data Science is an eligible field under the H1-B Visa?

Do I need to be employed by an US MNC in Ireland to be eligible? (My understanding is no but I just want to be sure)

I only graduated last year so I'm wondering would my level of experience be too low? I have been working during that time but although I am taught in Python, R etc my employer only uses Excel ��

Thanks in advance!

Do you have experience in Data Science? My job is looking for data scientists at the moment.

I won't go in to a rant about how it's next to impossible to move by yourself to 'find work' in the States.

The number one rule in Trumps America right now is: 'Thou shall not hire a foreigner, for a job an American can do'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP

Probably the only way to really find out is to find a US employer that is willing to sponsor you for a H1B.

The company does all the applying not the (potential) employee.

My best advice would be to get the CV (resume as they say in the US) together and get it out there to as many potential employers as possible, and make sure you tell them you don't have a visa and are looking to get sponsored, if you don't they will just assume you are eligible.

You don't have to work for a US MNC or anything.

Now I know there is a lottery for H1Bs so even if a company is willing to sponsor you there is no guarantee that they will be successful in the next H1B round.

Get working on getting yourself out there that's the only way you will get sponsored.

jme2010 wrote: »
    I won't go in to a rant about how it's next to impossible to move by yourself to 'find work' in the States.

The number one rule in Trumps America right now is: 'Thou shall not hire a foreigner, for a job an American can do'

For at least the last decade the sponsoring company has had to show that they cannot find a person in the US to fill the role that the H1B is being applied for.

Nothing to do with Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Thanks for the advice guys!

I understand moving to the US is extremely complex and difficult process which is why I'm keeping it as one option (amongst others)

I'll set up a resume tailored for US companies and try my luck :) if it doesnt work out that's alright I'll just keep trying within the EU!

• Advertisement

For at least the last decade the sponsoring company has had to show that they cannot find a person in the US to fill the role that the H1B is being applied for.

Nothing to do with Trump.

I didn't say it was a new rule, just it's number one on the list in his policies on jobs.

Interesting article here about H1Bs

What seems to be happening theses days is that they are being hoovered up by huge Indian and Chinese consultant agencies that then farm out the employees.

That will make it tougher for the OP but don't be afraid to put in work and try.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/h1b-visa-trump-tech-workers

Advertisement