Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of non-Irish born in AGS

Options
  • 08-03-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Are there many non-Irish born Gardai in the force now. I know there's a few of Asian ancestry that I've seen, possibly first generation Irish born, but for all the recent influx of naturalised Irish there doesn't seem to be the same presence in AGS that there is in all other jobs in Ireland....lack of precise English a problem ? ( Though remember the case of the Irishman who failed the English language part of his Australian citizenship exam..... :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've met a fair number of Chinese, Romanian and Polish born Gardai. I know of a few others with a parent from elsewhere - countries like Bosnia for example. There are obviously people from the UK and other British commonwealth countries who have joined AGS also.

I would think at this point the number of Gardai who were not born Irish nationals is probably in the low dozens.

Whether that is an under-representation compared to other careers, I couldn't say.

Advertisement