Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athgarvan to Maynooth and return route

Options
  • 08-03-2018 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I was wondering if anyone could advise the quickest route in peak traffic from Athgarvan to Maynooth in the mornings to be in Maynooth for 9am and returning in the evenings to be in Athgarvan for 6pm to collect at the creche.

Traffic this week is awful and my usual route of Athgarvan - Pfizer/Greatconnell - Sallins via Toughers - Clane - Maynooth isn't working (this morning took 1 hour 20 mins!!)

Can anyone advise if if it would be better going through Rathcoffey, Prosperous, Kilmeague, Milltown and the Curragh?

I would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Ahgarvan to Kilmeague should be fine- unless you get stuck behind a slow vehicle from Milltown over the hill of Allen through to Kilmeague.

Prosperous is a bit of a bottleneck (maybe ten minutes to get through the lights at the church at 8.30ish)

All the way through Rathcoffey should be no problem and then good luck in Maynooth itself!- which side of Maynooth are you getting to?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

baaba maal wrote: »
    Ahgarvan to Kilmeague should be fine- unless you get stuck behind a slow vehicle from Milltown over the hill of Allen through to Kilmeague.

Prosperous is a bit of a bottleneck (maybe ten minutes to get through the lights at the church at 8.30ish)

All the way through Rathcoffey should be no problem and then good luck in Maynooth itself!- which side of Maynooth are you getting to?

Is the road from Maynooth to prosperous clear from snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You should be able to avoid Sallins.

When you turn left after Toughers, (towards Sallins), instead of cutting across, turn left towards rathangan. 2km further after the bad bend there's a right turn. This brings you into Carragh. Turn left towards Mondello and just at Mondello turn right towards Digby Bridge & Clane and then continue on to Maynooth.

If M7 is moving well, I'd also look at M7 / N7 / Staffan, Maynooth - this would be free moving most Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

lordgoat wrote: »
    Is the road from Maynooth to prosperous clear from snow?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

If you use Google Maps it will automatically direct you based on traffic as well as distance. I use it on my way to Dublin every morning, and it helps me avoid snarl ups on the M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

kk2014 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could advise the quickest route in peak traffic from Athgarvan to Maynooth in the mornings to be in Maynooth for 9am and returning in the evenings to be in Athgarvan for 6pm to collect at the creche.

Traffic this week is awful and my usual route of Athgarvan - Pfizer/Greatconnell - Sallins via Toughers - Clane - Maynooth isn't working (this morning took 1 hour 20 mins!!)

Can anyone advise if if it would be better going through Rathcoffey, Prosperous, Kilmeague, Milltown and the Curragh?

I would appreciate any help!

Hi

Sorry for only replying here nw. I go from Roseberry Hill to Leixlip every morning, so think I can advise.

You are right, the traffic this week is horrific, getting from Sexes Road to the bridge has beenawful, I wonder what has changed. Anyhow from St. Conleth's Church, I usually go up onto the M7, come of at Kill head for Straffan then over to the M4 in Maynooth. In the summer I would normally go down the outer ring road in Naas, into Sallins, and use the road from Sallins to Straffan ( don't use it in winter as it can be very dangerous with ice ).

The tripwould 'normally' take me 40 minutes, but I stress this past week has been anything but normal.

Where in Maynooth are You heading for?

Any questions feel free to ask/PM me

Hope I am of some help for You!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

Thanks to everyone for their replies and help! I am heading to the South Campus of Maynooth University every morning. I tried going home via Prosperous and Kilmeague on Thursday evening last but the traffic in Prosperous was awful - I was stuck for 25 mins getting through the village and late for the creche. I tried the back road from Straffan to Sallins on Friday and my original route of Sallins - Osberstown - Toughers - Great Connell and then Athgarvan, it generally gets me there in just about the hour.

This morning I came the same route to Sallins, Clane, Rathcoffey and into Maynooth that way which I found good as it brings me close to the South Campus entrance.

I will definitely try the above suggestions though and welcome anymore as I will be doing this trip long term so I am grateful of any way to shorten it, especially in the evenings with the stress of trying to make the creche for 6pm!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

kk2014 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and help! I am heading to the South Campus of Maynooth University every morning. I tried going home via Prosperous and Kilmeague on Thursday evening last but the traffic in Prosperous was awful - I was stuck for 25 mins getting through the village and late for the creche. I tried the back road from Straffan to Sallins on Friday and my original route of Sallins - Osberstown - Toughers - Great Connell and then Athgarvan, it generally gets me there in just about the hour.

This morning I came the same route to Sallins, Clane, Rathcoffey and into Maynooth that way which I found good as it brings me close to the South Campus entrance.

I will definitely try the above suggestions though and welcome anymore as I will be doing this trip long term so I am grateful of any way to shorten it, especially in the evenings with the stress of trying to make the creche for 6pm!

Thanks again :)

Hi

I went via Sallins & Straffan this morning & and after getting over the bridge outside St. Conleth's in Newbridge I was on the outskirts of Maynooth in 35 minutes ( it was raining and no frost ). I am assuming the South Campus is on the outskirts of Maynooth on the Kilcock Road? If so, I am sorry, but I cannot advise on getting through Maynooth, which can be very bad at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

With different options available, it's well worth stopping for 30sec and looking at live traffic

https://www.theaa.ie/routes/

Once you allow it know your location, it will zoom in on the area

Green and yellow are fine, orange is slow but moving. Bright red is very slow, dark red is standstill.

After a while you get used to knowing what to look for and you'll change your route in seconds to avoid snarlups

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi

I went via Sallins & Straffan this morning & and after getting over the bridge outside St. Conleth's in Newbridge I was on the outskirts of Maynooth in 35 minutes ( it was raining and no frost ). I am assuming the South Campus is on the outskirts of Maynooth on the Kilcock Road? If so, I am sorry, but I cannot advise on getting through Maynooth, which can be very bad at times.

If going to the south campus, you'd be looking to come in from the Rathcoffey side, the route you picked has fairly good roads (considering alternatives) I'd take the left turn at the Electricity pylon place (on the left coming into Maynooth coming from Straffan)and cut back to ladychapel take a right and come into Maynooth from that side, brings you to the old campus. Depending on the time (8:30-9) can be pretty heavy with traffic too, still better than main st imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement