Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match preview and thread: IRE v SCO (Sat 10th Mar 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I hope he gets a bagfull. Its a few years away yet, but I hope also he has the perspective and respect, as batsmen do for Bradman's test average for example, that beating the Drickmeister General's try mark would simply be inappropriate.

What have we told you about binge reading too much Paul Howard? Do we need another intervention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Zzippy wrote: »
    What have we told you about binge reading too much Paul Howard? Do we need another intervention?

Roysh,sorry. It isnt every day we pick up a Gone West. Celebrating hard with the goys. 14 pints of Ken and havent really started yet. Bumped into BobbyK earlier and he told me I was the inspiration behind his MOTM performance. What a knob. 'Knob Kearney' - you can have that one for free. Sometimes my humour surprises even myself loike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rebel red going down nicely now

yesss champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Roysh,sorry. It isnt every day we pick up a Gone West. Celebrating hard with the goys. 14 pints of Ken and havent really started yet. Bumped into BobbyK earlier and he told me I was the inspiration behind his MOTM performance. What a knob. 'Knob Kearney' - you can have that one for free. Sometimes my humour surprises even myself loike.

Go home. Sorcha has the wooden spoon ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Might I just point people back to the opening post of this thread?

I can't believe the poster could get so much right. Jacob Stockdale getting to double figures, the Scots gifting him another try and the influence of Garry Ringrose. I won't even mention the suggestion of a winning margin in double figures and a bonus point. ;)

Carlsberg don't do match thread openers, but if they did...

:D

Perhaps I've drunk too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great result. Absolutely ecstatic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Feels so weird waking up this morning knowing we are champs. Amazing stuff with a week to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Thought Ringrose deserved it myself but no complaints about Kearney getting the mod.

Ryan for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ratings published :

Kearney. 8. The cornerstone of the victory, ever dependable in defence and makes it all looks so easy. Reads the game so well, and marshalled the young charges ahead of him superbly. Still some fine running left in him as well.

Stockdale. 7. Try scoring machine. Second try in particular shows he really is a serious striker. Defence needs work, but indications are that will come with experience.

Ringrose. 9. No rustiness. A nightmare for defences almost in the way O'Driscoll was. Defensive failings at times, good defence at others. Some consistency needed. But overall, he is that rarest thing in rugby today - a runner who can single handedly split a defensive system wide open.

Aki. 5. Works hard but international rugby is a step beyond his level. Placeholder only until Henshaw and Farrell come back to the squad.

Earls. 8. A player transformed, and is now the complete wing. Didnt quite get the chances of Stockdale but no mistakes, a threat any time he got ball in hand.

Sexton. 7
    . Ho-hum outing for the man who was all commanding in the Welsh game. His attitude and competitive drive is infectious and drives the whole team. Kicking back in gear, but didnt deliver quite as much as he might have with his running game.

Murray. 8. Nothing to say on Murray. He has all the skills and just keeps deliverying world class performances game in game out.

Healy. 8. Shame he had to go off, but up to that, was playing close to his top game.

Best. 5
    . Is fading fast now, and only the lack of any heir of quality is keeping him there. Still does some good thing, but struggled with the pace and open style of yesterdays game - an environment previously in which he would have thrived.

Furlong.9. Gave the Scots a lesson and they are still feeling the pain. Made a lot of hard yards, hard hits, and work rate was outstanding. A world class tight without doubt.

Toner. 6. Blame more Bests than his for some of the poor line out, but solid performance with good work rate and carries. Perm any 2 from 3 (and Beirne next year) and Ireland has a very solid engine room with any of the combinations.

Ryan. 7. Looked very comfortable at this level. Good contribution in all phases. The sky is the limit for this young man.

O'Mahoney. 7. A fairly quiet game by his standard, and would only merit a 6 were it not for his truly splendid chase, tackle and turnover on Kinghorn in the second half. Worth the price of admission alone, as they say.

Leavy. 8.5. 9 In the first half, 8 in the second. Tackling, running, turnovers, this boy has really made huge strides this year. We have seen the future of the post SOB/Heaslip backrow - Van der Flier, Leavy and Stander, with Murphy and Ruddock providing the backup is a very healthy prospect.

Stander. 6. A good game not a great game. Seemed slightly off the pace, and maybe why Leavy outshone him so well. But a critical role in the winning of this championship and we will forgive him one less than excellent outing.

Schmidt. 10. Three Championships in five years. A shot at a grand slam. Player development of both experienced personnel who we thought might have plateaued, perfectly timed introduction of new young blood, development in depth previously not even dreamed of, multiple key injuries dont upset the system and rhythm, variety of tactics, and buckets of tries to silence the armchair critics. A rugby genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Aki 5?
    I thought he was poor for most of the first half but he stepped it up hugely in 2nd half.

Best was only player who i felt was below par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can you give your anti Aki thing a rest it’s getting tiresome. We get that you don’t like foreigners playing but this is just childish now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

salmocab wrote: »
    Can you give your anti Aki thing a rest it’s getting tiresome. We get that you don’t like foreigners playing but this is just childish now.

Regardless of his motives, he's right... With Henshaw, Ringrose, Farrell in the mix.... Aki is the one who will lose out imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Regardless of his motives, he's right... With Henshaw, Ringrose, Farrell in the mix.... Aki is the one who will lose out imo

He isn't right. Aki has stepped up very well to international rugby.

He isn't right. Aki has stepped up very well to international rugby.

Stepped up well....what does that mean...does it mean we gloss over his glaring errors...grand so

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought Furlong was MOTM yesterday. Pretty much a flawless performance, he's night on impossible to stop making ground.

Is it really possible that Porter is physically stronger than Furlong or is it just gym numbers as opposed to farm strength?

Stepped up well....what does that mean...does it mean we gloss over his glaring errors...grand so

He has 6 caps. He is still finding his way in this team.

Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose and Farrell . having them all fit and available would be a very strong position.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He has 6 caps. He is still finding his way in this team.

Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose and Farrell . having them all fit and available would be a very strong position.

I don't doubt it... but from what I've seen so far...and it's just my opinion... the other 3 are better options...I just think Aki is the one who loses out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irelandrover

You say Farrell is ahead of him. Farrell played very well but missed quite a few tackles against Wales.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Considering Aki has had to play with 3 different partners outside him in 4 games. I think he's doing very well.

Is he perfect? No, but some of the criticism thrown at him is very harsh.

I didn't see any criticism for the 'glaring errors' in Farrell's game last week when he missed more tackles than anyone else on the team.

I don't doubt it... but from what I've seen so far...and it's just my opinion... the other 3 are better options...I just think Aki is the one who loses out.

Think it's clear who is ahead of who. If Ringrose was available a few weeks ago I don't think Farrell would play v wales.

• Advertisement

Think it's clear who is ahead of who. If Ringrose was available a few weeks ago I don't think Farrell would play v wales.

So you agree with me then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Look I don’t think Aki is anywhere near garaunteed a spot but giving him a 5 for yesterday shows his agenda. Calling him a place filler is just insulting. He’s a very good player I think if all are fit there is a good chance he misses out but it’s not certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Cian Healy injury has gone viral. The IRFU might become pressured to explain how Healy was not taken off for a HIA. The role of the neutral doctor is another question.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Aki is definitely ahead of Farrell in the pecking order because he can cover both positions. That's not even up for debate.

The Cian Healy injury has gone viral. The IRFU might become pressured to explain how Healy was not taken off for a HIA.
    I thought he got hit in the neck? I know that can cause a concussion, but he just seemed to be very stiff and sore rather than concussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I thought he got hit in the neck? I know that can cause a concussion, but he just seemed to be very stiff and sore rather than concussed.

Looked like he was stumbling to me. He definitely got hit in the head with enough force to potentially cause a head injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Longer term if all are fit I would like to see, and think we will see, Ringrose playing with one of the other three. I just think he brings a totally different skill set

Yeah the Healy thing doesn't look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I thought he looked groggy ( he seemed to be swaying a bit) when he stepped away from the physio to get into the defensive line TBH but I'm no doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

. This is the other dirty side of the HIA discussion . People were bleating over France giving HIA’s to players who didn’t need them. now players who clearly need them are not getting one. I know which scenario I prefer.

In the French match thread yesterday the consensus was that Watson was a penalty try and a yellow . The head is now a non negotiable. but now people are obfuscating by saying Healy had a sore neck.

He got hoggs arm into the head. It’s not even ambiguous. I do t know how that medic left him on.
    I’ll be interested to see if the usual mouthpieces and ex players on Tv and radio stay silent.

The Cian Healy injury has gone viral. The IRFU might become pressured to explain how Healy was not taken off for a HIA. The role of the neutral doctor is another question.

Its very hard to assess someone with a load of other very large men running towards you. He was examined again when the play stopped so i would assume he was assessed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Its very hard to assess someone with a load of other very large men running towards you. He was examined again when the play stopped so i would assume he was assessed properly.

BS You could clearly see he was unstable . He should have been taken off to be examined . Poor judgment all round

I was convinced as the ball went left again that Barnes was going to whistle to stop play

As he stood up to rejoin the defensive line he staggered. It wasn't a good look and I thought at the time he should have been off for assessment.

The only mitigation I might offer is that he was being assessed by the medics for a period of time before the stagger so they may have already ruled out a head injury. Maybe not, but the existence of that treatment window before the stagger at least might provide some clarity on the situation.

I've seen people hooked for assessment for a lot less so genuinely surprising.

. This is the other dirty side of the HIA discussion . People were bleating over France giving HIA’s to players who didn’t need them. now players who clearly need them are not getting one. I know which scenario I prefer.

In the French match thread yesterday the consensus was that Watson was a penalty try and a yellow . The head is now a non negotiable. but now people are obfuscating by saying Healy had a sore neck.

He got hoggs arm into the head. It’s not even ambiguous. I do t know how that medic left him on.
    I’ll be interested to see if the usual mouthpieces and ex players on Tv and radio stay silent.
    I said I 'thought' he had been hit in the neck. And I added a question mark after it. But that's 'obfuscating' according to you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Country Surfer

I would like discuss this though from the other thread

What faces was Kearney pulling exactly? You can't compare to the best of the best, NZ, when they have the likes of Israel Dagg pulling the best faces in world rugby. Maybe when can compete when James Lowe qualifies.

I don’t think anyone can deny he has for his whole career pouted at the camera. Now one can do it in a Robin Copeland or Luke Fitzgerald way which is taking the piss and making fun of their own vanity. But when someone does it in a way that is expressing that he is “better” than the onlooker in any way is derogatory. I believe Kearney has done this his whole career whilst in the Irish jersey and whilst in the media eye. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance and Kearney has always firmly been the latter. Pulling faces which express superiority in the Irish jersey is unacceptable.

I said I 'thought' he had been hit in the neck. And I added a question mark after it. But that's 'obfuscating' according to you. :rolleyes:

The head is sacrosanct. Or so people are at pains to tell me when I get a hard on for a naughty tackle.

So game should have been stopped.or medic should have stayed with him or got touch judge to stop it. In for a penny in for a pound. Thy can’t whinge about France and then leave a concussed player on the pitch . Play came back Healy’s way , if he was subjected to second impact syndrome it would be unforgivable. We have to protect their heads . Even Irish heads.

I wasted too many brain cells reading that rubbish

He pouts out of superiority...

The head is sacrosanct. Or so people are at pains to tell me when I get a hard on for a naughty tackle.

So game should have been stopped.or medic should have stayed with him or got touch judge to stop it. In for a penny in for a pound. Thy can’t whinge about France and then leave a concussed player on the pitch . Play came back Healy’s way , if he was subjected to second impact syndrome it would be unforgivable. We have to protect their heads . Even Irish heads.
    An apology would be fine thanks. :rolleyes:

Bridge93 wrote: »

When you couple it with what his fan club wrote about other players online all during his career it is derogatory......and a noted expression of superiority whilst in the jersey .....and dissing your teammates through a faceless medium.

• Advertisement

You should write a strongly worded letter to joe. This man clearly doesn't represent us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

I don’t think anyone can deny he has for his whole career pouted at the camera. Now one can do it in a Robin Copeland or Luke Fitzgerald way which is taking the piss and making fun of their own vanity. But when someone does it in a way that is expressing that he is “better” than the onlooker in any way is derogatory. I believe Kearney has done this his whole career whilst in the Irish jersey and whilst in the media eye. There is a difference between confidence and arrogance and Kearney has always firmly been the latter. Pulling faces which express superiority in the Irish jersey is unacceptable.
    When you couple it with what his fan club wrote about other players online all during his career it is derogatory......and a noted expression of superiority whilst in the jersey .....and dissing your teammates through a faceless medium.

I must have missed whatever incident(s) sparked this debate so its all going over my head. Can you give a link or an example?

Bridge93 wrote: »

He pouts out of superiority...

Mike Phillips knows what I was alluding to when he started the scrap with him in 2010. It almost like he was saying by starting the fight “ who is this guy bullying online” through his schoolmates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mangobob wrote: »
    I must have missed whatever incident(s) sparked this debate so its all going over my head. Can you give a link or an example?

There’s no incident, he just doesn’t like Rob’s face.

Mike Phillips knows what I was alluding to when he started the scrap with him in 2010. It almost like he was saying by starting the fight “ who is this guy bullying online” through his schoolmates?
    Are you fcuking serious?

I've read some conspiracy theories in my time, many of them were entertaining, some of them were intriguing. This is so far off the scale, there's no metric available to express it's relationship with the real world.

An apology would be fine thanks. :rolleyes:

No apology will be offered. CTA is a very serious issue .
    Ben Smith was subbed in the lions tests early doors and never featured again.
    Turned out to be just an ongoing inner ear issue.

People love shouting about HIA’s and protocols once it isn’t their own lads getting subbed .

Healy was hit . He was staggering. A medic was present . They all have MacBooks and live feeds.

Bang to rights . End of story .

People love shouting about HIA’s and protocols once it isn’t their own lads getting subbed .

Healy was hit . He was staggering. A medic was present . They all have MacBooks and live feeds.

Those goalposts just can't stay still can they?

Do I need to remind you what you accused me of? wrongly?

So less of the strawmen and a bit more humility.

Those goalposts just can't stay still can they?

Do I need to remind you what you accused me of? wrongly?

So less of the strawmen and a bit more humility.
    There will be no humility. CTE is a blight on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

All credit to the Chicago Transit Authority, or the band named after them, but I'd say CTE is a far more serious issue.

Are you fcuking serious?

I've read some conspiracy theories in my time, many of them were entertaining, some of them were intriguing. This is so far off the scale, there's no metric available to express it's relationship with the real world.

All I know is that they’ve been acting like animals since they left school and have barged their way through the system. And yes a lot of this was done through intimidation online on Leinsterfans. The continuation of this uncitizenly behaviour is perpetuated by people like you who say this is a myth and jealousy etc. it’s not and shame on you for siding with him on this. He knows well his schoolmates cleared the path for him and you are helping by calling any criticism a “ conspiracy” or jealousy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement