Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match preview and thread: IRE v SCO (Sat 10th Mar 14:15) TV3, ITV & FR2.

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Teo is decent, but not world class. I don't think Ford starts this week. He has not shown much this season.
    What is the alternative?
    Farrell isn't an international 10 - the 1st Lions test showed that (as have previous outings at 10). Teo at 12 hampers your distribution because he is not the most comfortable passer of a ball - I think their attack would be pretty easy to read if they go for a Farrell / Teo combo at 10/12. 
    Wouldn't be that surprised to see Lozowski start - knows all the Saracens boys well and is a good operator. Or Marcus Smith? Would be a real baptism of fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I believe (possibly misguidedly) that our linespeed pressure had a hand in some of those wayward passes. When Huw Jones passed to the floor in front of Stuart Hogg, he was running towards Jonny Sexton, who didn't commit himself, but just stayed in position on Jones forcing Jones to make the decision rather than himself. A game of chicken and Jones blinked first and rushed the pass.
    Apparently I am Murray Kinsella in disguise. :D :cool:

Buer wrote: »
    I think you're right. I noticed he kept his tracksuit bottoms on until the very last minute which is unusual. He was the only Irish player to do so; everyone else was fully stripped when they came out for the anthems. I reckon he was keeping muscles as warm as possible for as long as possible before kick off. Keatley popping up during the warm up was also unexpected. I'd be confident there was some sort of question mark over him.

I also believe there was some sort of question mark over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

England's biggest problem has been the breakdowns, they are very poor. Scotland destroyed them and France also bettered them. That's what Eddie will need to focus on. If they are unable to compete at the breakdown then Ireland will be in a great position. Also, discipline wise we are way better so uncle Eddie has his work cut out for him. I think they need to revamp their back row. They are getting old and that's gonna be a problem down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I wouldn't say it's picky at all to criticise some aspects of our performance. We struggled at times again in that first half. There's absolutely loads of stuff for them to work on.

England in Twickenham might be a completely different challenge. We'll see. We're number 2 in the world now with a Grand Slam in our grasp, so the next two objectives are completely clear and obvious for this squad.

I actually think our performance overall in all games so far has been average to good laced with some brilliant play. Not sure we've played to our best yet consistently for a game. ...Isn't that supposed to be a sign of a good team? Playing below par put getting the results.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah so england have a sophies chioce going into next weekend......

go with a more aggressive breakdown policy and risk their already high average penalty count increasing further.
    or stand off the breakdown and risk ireland suffocating them possession-wise and territoriality.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah so england have a sophies chioce going into next weekend......

go with a more aggressive breakdown policy and risk their already high average penalty count increasing further.
    or stand off the breakdown and risk ireland suffocating them possession-wise and territoriality.
    If they were just able to shore up their own breakdown, that would help with the penalty count. I think they were penalised nine times on their own possession against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

If they were just able to shore up their own breakdown, that would help with the penalty count. I think they were penalised nine times on their own possession against France.

I think the point is they can't really up their breakdown skills over the course of a week so players need to bend the rules more often to try and match us. Which will lead to penalties. If they do find the players to compete at the breakdown then the penalty count will come down. I don't think it is too much of a discipline issue as many times penalties are avoided if a player does not need to hold on on the ground etc.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think the point is they can't really up their breakdown skills over the course of a week so players need to bend the rules more often to try and match us. Which will lead to penalties. If they do find the players to compete at the breakdown then the penalty count will come down. I don't think it is too much of a discipline issue as many times penalties are avoided if a player does not need to hold on on the ground etc.
    It's just about resourcing rucks though. Something that shouldn't be hard to get a grip on. Against France, they left players isolated in close in carries. That's borderline criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

7oakse wrote: »
    What is the alternative?
    Farrell isn't an international 10 - the 1st Lions test showed that (as have previous outings at 10). Teo at 12 hampers your distribution because he is not the most comfortable passer of a ball - I think their attack would be pretty easy to read if they go for a Farrell / Teo combo at 10/12. 
    Wouldn't be that surprised to see Lozowski start - knows all the Saracens boys well and is a good operator. Or Marcus Smith? Would be a real baptism of fire.

I think Jones will go with Farrell/Te'o/Joseph, they looked a lot more threatening with that lineup towards the end of the French match. I don't think that's a great axis at all myself, they're going to rely heavily on Farrell to create and I think he's very used to sharing that burden with Ford these days.

Losowski seems to have dropped way down the pecking order these days. He was pretty awful against the Chiefs last week too, was completely outshone by Joe Simmonds. What is it with England and all these flash young 10s not making the cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Ringrose was exceptional. He destroyed Jones and we defended better with him in the team. I thought Best was very good also, he put in a huge shift. But, swan dive Sean was the highlight for me. What an effort.

Agree, but I think it was more of a frog dive. I think he may be varying the theme.

Before this thread slips away into the depths of the database, I think it should close on a word of praise for Wayne Barnes. I used to call him 'Silent Night' because of his stealth penalties. No word of warning, just the whistle.

What a change. The man is a veritable chatterbox now, constantly referring to players by their first names, checking to see if a guy who's been down injured is ok, clearly explaining his decisions and even indulging in praise for a bit of discipline or a properly constructed scrum.

It's been a while since I could name a ref who I thought was the best at his job. Wayne Barnes is that ref for me now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I noticed the praise for players releasing and rolling away. It reminded me of One Man And His Dog.

He was good. Good ref.

By rights he should have been in the pantheon of greats the day Dylan Hartley called him a "Fcuking cheat". No higher praise from no less a luminary of the sin bin. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Before this thread slips away into the depths of the database, I think it should close on a word of praise for Wayne Barnes. I used to call him 'Silent Night' because of his stealth penalties. No word of warning, just the whistle.

What a change. The man is a veritable chatterbox now, constantly referring to players by their first names, checking to see if a guy who's been down injured is ok, clearly explaining his decisions and even indulging in praise for a bit of discipline or a properly constructed scrum.

It's been a while since I could name a ref who I thought was the best at his job. Wayne Barnes is that ref for me now.

I agree, he done a great job and I am not a huge fan at all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think you're right. I noticed he kept his tracksuit bottoms on until the very last minute which is unusual. He was the only Irish player to do so; everyone else was fully stripped when they came out for the anthems. I reckon he was keeping muscles as warm as possible for as long as possible before kick off. Keatley popping up during the warm up was also unexpected. I'd be confident there was some sort of question mark over him.

Just on the tracksuit thing, don't think that's indicative - although i do think he is carrying an injury - but he always keeps those trackies on during the anthems, I rarely see him without them on tbh until the final moment.

No offense but reading into wearing trackies is one of the most internet-forum conversations I've seen in a while :pac:

Or full offense, I don't mind really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just got around to watching the game back last night, and Ringer really was outstanding. If he can produce that standard on a regular basis, and stay fit, the 13 jersey is his for as long as he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He said in a presser he's been having back spasms all week and didn't train. Sexton seems to be a freak at playing through injury though. Which is concerning.

• Advertisement

No offense but reading into wearing trackies is one of the most internet-forum conversations I've seen in a while :pac:

Or full offense, I don't mind really.

600full-the-angry-video-game-nerd-screenshot.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think he's fit. I think he's carrying that injury he had leading up to the Wales game.

I'd say he'll get through the England match then be given a few weeks off.

Which is very bad news for Leinster
    For a player who is probably not completely fit I really wish he would stop running the ball straight into contact as if he was a boshing 12. He has done it a few times the past few games.

awec wrote: »
    For a player who is probably not completely fit I really wish he would stop running the ball straight into contact as if he was a boshing 12. He has done it a few times the past few games.

He's taken a lot of ball on recently but to say he's boshing is severely underselling what he brings to the team when he attacks the line. He almost always gets on the outside of a player, and makes them turn their body usually with a dummy, he's not a silky smooth runner of the ball ala Carberry but he's still very elusive and a hard runner - when he takes it into contact he's making good yards.

Not every run has to be a break. If he run at a few soft shoulders enough they'll start planting their heels, that opens up space for others as the game develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

Sometimes he has no choice. If the pass options aren’t good and the kick options aren’t good then what else can he do? Sometimes carrying into contact is the right thing. Or the least worst thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d also like to echo the comments on Barnes. Had a cracking game. I do think both sides played the game in a very positive manner too, which helped. Although I’m sure Barnes had input into that. My big issue with him previously had been his “law of the day” thing. Other than that I’ve always found him quite good. But he didn’t seem to have that issue at all on Saturday.

Who's the ref in Twickenham?

Who's the ref in Twickenham?
    Angus Gardner I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Angus Gardner I think.

yep

and im delighted. hes a very good ref.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yep

and im delighted. hes a very good ref.

He is

• Advertisement
Advertisement