Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The quiche comes with a salad

Options
  • 08-03-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

So I had a lazy day off work this week and went to the Orchard garden centre and cafe in celbridge. Wanted something light for lunch. No prices were up in the salad section so asked what was the quiche on display and how much it was. 6.95 I was told. Grand I'll take that. Lady then says it comes with 3 salads. Grand I says and I make my selection.

Go to the till. That will be 10.50 please. Confused I ask why it's not 6.95. Well that's because you got 3 salads.

Go back to lady and she doesn't understand my issue. I proceed to explain it's the very same as her saying the quiche comes with a glass of white wine, a garden gnome and a hedge trimmer. It can come with anything once you pay the extra for it.

She still didn't get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

How big was the slice of quiche??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

homer911 wrote: »

It was a good man size slice. Grand for lunch. And the salads were excellent to be fair. You get what you pay for. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

elbyrneo wrote: »
    So I had a lazy day off work this week and went to the Orchard garden centre and cafe in celbridge. Wanted something light for lunch. No prices were up in the salad section so asked what was the quiche on display and how much it was. 6.95 I was told. Grand I'll take that. Lady then says it comes with 3 salads. Grand I says and I make my selection.

Go to the till. That will be 10.50 please. Confused I ask why it's not 6.95. Well that's because you got 3 salads.

Go back to lady and she doesn't understand my issue. I proceed to explain it's the very same as her saying the quiche comes with a glass of white wine, a garden gnome and a hedge trimmer. It can come with anything once you pay the extra for it.

She still didn't get it.

This made me lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Saying it comes with salad implies the salad is free. I would hardly see it as a slick upselling technique.

It reminds me of the scam with toasted sandwiches.

What was the toasted sandwich scam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

homer911 wrote: »

the size of the quiche is completely irrelevant.

Did you pay the 10.50? There is no way I would have. Out of principle. I'd happily make it up to 10.50 by putting the extra in a charity box but I would not pay the money out of principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

She probably meant it in a "would you like that as a meal" kind of way, but just described it really really poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    the size of the quiche is completely irrelevant.

Did you pay the 10.50? There is no way I would have. Out of principle. I'd happily make it up to 10.50 by putting the extra in a charity box but I would not pay the money out of principle

I paid the 10.50 with a tap of my card. It was only after I questioned. I ordered a cappuccino afterward and joked (kinda) that I wasn't paying for it and they said fine. To be honest it was a jovial "complaint" and she took the garden gnome example in good spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All that was wrong was the pricing.

Quiche = 6.95. Add three salads of your choice for 10.50. But I do accept that if someone said "that comes with three salads" I would expect no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you wanted your sandwich toasted it nearly doubled price due to the VAT differences between cold and hot food. This was never advised beforehand.

Surely even if there was 0 vat on cold food, the most it could increase the price by was 23%.

Yeah fair enough that it's an honest mistake, but if they say that to everyone who walks in the door to buy a quiche, it's a lot of money.

It would also be quite embarrassing for the person who only had, say €7 on them and then was left feeling awful at the till.

I don't agree with complaining about every last thing and demanding compensation for every last mistake that is made, but I do believe in speaking out when something is wrong.

I'm glad you didn't pay for the cappuccino OP, but tbh that should have been offered to you immediately by way of apology if a refund to your card wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You’d be doing well to get quiche and 3 salads for 6.95 in the Orchard.

In fairness, I find the food good there, Quite substantial and 10.50 is not extortionate for what it is as the salad choices are good, proper salads as opposed to a side salad.

It was badly explained to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

anewme wrote: »

In fairness, I find the food good there, Quite substantial and 10.50 is not extortionate for what it is as the salad choices are good, proper salads as opposed to a side salad.

Yeah, but again, that's all beside the point.

Like I said before, say the OP only had €8 in cash and had left the bank card at home and then he's standing at the till not able to pay for his lunch. Its kind of embarrassing if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When she said 3 salads she meant 3 salady ingredients, not 3 boxes of salad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Patww79 wrote: »
    The restaurant is getting off very light, they're basically running a con.

It's a misunderstanding. That is not a con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I find though most misunderstandings regarding price always seem to be in the establishments favour. I have often been overcharged or given the wrong change ( less than what it should be) funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well, yeah! It’s €10.50

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surely even if there was 0 vat on cold food, the most it could increase the price by was 23%.
    It could increase by 300%, as long as it is advertised. Just like a chilled can of coke can cost a fortune in a supermarket relative to non chilled. Many people will pay well over the odds for convenience or heated/chilled food/drink.

Fred Swanson did not say which place was doing this illegal activity, and the first post made it sound like it was very common.
    If they routinely do this I would certainly call it a confidence trick.

If you asked the price of a big mac and staff were instructed to tell the customer "it is 5euro and comes with chips and a coke" I would also say it is a clear confidence trick.

The OP specifically asked about price, and was only told 1 price.

What is most worrying (and suspicious) is that the staff member still did not understand the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Well, yeah! It’s €10.50

That’s my point.

Having had it myself, I’d think they made a mistake made if I got it for that price.

Haven’t been there in a while but when I was last there the prices were written up very clearly on a big blackboard. Not sure if that’s still the case.

Do a restaurant not have to display their prices?

I would think of it more of a misunderstanding from the server.

Eg if a person wanted quiche and chips, the quiche would be 6.95 plus the price of the chips.

Otherwise you get the salads.

It was not communicated clearly enough, person should have said 10.50 inc. salads but it is not a bad price givem the quality of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It was not communicated clearly enough, person should have said 10.50 inc. salads
    They should have said 6.95... and then stopped talking. That was the answer to the question the OP had.

If they want to mention other meals then go ahead, but make it very clear. Your post makes me wonder if you think the quiche could have been bought on its own at all.

Not sure if they are back doing it but I remember at one time McDonalds officially stopped asking "do you want fries with that?" in Ireland, as it was infuriating customers and fights were almost breaking out! I remember seeing a few incidents myself over it. Though I don't expect that garden centre has many drunks calling in!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rubadub wrote: »
    It could increase by 300%, as long as it is advertised. Just like a chilled can of coke can cost a fortune in a supermarket relative to non chilled. Many people will pay well over the odds for convenience or heated/chilled food/drink.

Fred Swanson did not say which place was doing this illegal activity, and the first post made it sound like it was very common.

Yes but he said it was the VAT difference that changed the price, nothing about the shop adding more. So if the VAT difference is what changes the price, it can only go up by 23% at most.

Advertisement