Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Loan

• 08-03-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm thinking of joining the credit union to save my money. How hard would it be to get a loan from the credit union ? I've been unemployed for the last two years and I've just finished a year long course with springboard. I have a few hundred saved

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No two credit unions are the same. Some of them are under intense supervision by the regulator because of previous bad practices (typically lending to people to buy second or third houses) and may not be lending at all though if they are free to do so, most CU's are mad keen to lend as they are getting 0% on spare cash they have on deposit with the banks.

Ask someone who is a member of the CU you're thinking of joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

It would also depend on loan amount. Theyll need to make sure you have enough to live on after you make your loan repayments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

368100 wrote: »
    It would also depend on loan amount. Theyll need to make sure you have enough to live on after you make your loan repayments

That applies to any financial institution exercising proper criteria prior to granting loan approval.

coylemj wrote: »
    That applies to any financial institution exercising proper criteria prior to granting loan approval.

Did i say it was unique to credit unions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I think it would be good to get maybe a small loan from the credit union especially if you never borrowed before as it will be good for your credit rating to show potential lenders that you paid back a loan within the terms and conditions and on time.

• Advertisement

368100 wrote: »

Or not it would seem!!

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/credit-unions-failing-to-check-if-members-can-repay-their-loans-36699127.html

Advertisement