Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken manure for tomato plants

Options
  • 08-03-2018 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I saw that Aldi have buckets, not sure of weight, of chicken manure pellets - has anyone used these as a compost supplement for tomatoes?

Haven't used chicken manure before and wondering if the pellets are good??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Personally I don't think they would be up to the job- I find tomatoes to be extremely hungry and the proprietary feeds are made for the job (and there are organic options there). I use the pellets for shrubs and they seem to work fine. I am open to correction though......

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

baaba maal wrote: »
    Personally I don't think they would be up to the job- I find tomatoes to be extremely hungry and the proprietary feeds are made for the job (and there are organic options there). I use the pellets for shrubs and they seem to work fine. I am open to correction though......

Thanks for that, I wasn't thinking of using them as a substitute for liquid feed, merely as a supplement to be added to the compost when transplanting to the larger pots and to be liquid fed as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I personally wouldn't use it for tomatoes, as it is so low in phosphorus and potassium, which tomatoes need a lot of when flowering and producing fruit. Might be ok for the first few weeks of growth, but they flower quickly and will need proper tomato feed as soon as they do. I used it for potatoes last year and got a great crop of earlies with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I grow my cherry tomatoes in 20l pots in the tunnel, with a water tray underneath. I always put a handful of chicken manure into the pot about 3/4 the way down and spread it and mix in so not concentrated in one spot.

I find that this handful is more than adequate for the plants for a summer as when I give a supplementary liquid organic feed with added liquid seaweed (maby twice - three times later in the summer), I have to be very careful not to add more than a small splash as it seems to me that it is very easy to overfertilise them.

It may be that the constant water in the tray may make the nutrients more evenly available to the plants over time from the manure.

Advertisement