Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasolabial folds

Options
  • 08-03-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi does anyone have any experience with botox, fillers, facials or retin A cream for nose to mouth lines? In the last couple of months ive gone from having some faint lines in these areas to deep noticeable lines and recognisable folds. I dont know why or how this happened so quickly but im devastated. I caught my face in the mirror this morning and it was like looking at a different person. - and im not paranoid, a few months ago I couldnt buy a bottle of wine without my ID, everywhere I went and the shop assistant would always comment on how young I look. I havnt been asked in months, my face has aged so much recently, my undereyes have gotten quite bad too.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I've no experience of botox or fillers but retinol products are brilliant. You might just need to up your skincare routine. I'd recommend a vitamin c product.

What's your current routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I've no experience of botox or fillers but retinol products are brilliant. You might just need to up your skincare routine. I'd recommend a vitamin c product.

What's your current routine?

Hi thanks for responding, im nervous about starting retinols as ive sensitive skin and tbh my skin only started to get bad when I started using serums and expensive creams so im now back to a more natural routine. I use rosewater in the mornings and evenings rosehip oil in the mornings and nivea moisturiser morning and evening. I wash my face with soap and glory and nutrogena facewash - I also take fish oils, vitamin A, B and multivitamins every morning and eat as much fruit and veg as I can, I dont really drink much alcohol either.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? It's understandable you're nervous about retinols, they should be introduced slowly if you do start on them but depending on your age you might not need them.

Looking at your routine, I'd get rid of the face washes and switch to a milk or balm. I can't speak for the Neutrogena but all Soap and Glory skincare products I've tried have been highly fragranced and full of irritants. You needn't spend a fortune on products but I would step up from Nivea if you've noticed a change in your skin. You can't really go wrong with French pharmacy products like La Roche Posay or Avene

Whoops, hit reply too soon!

A serum with hyaluronic acid is also a good idea. Eucerin hyaluron filler is good and usually on offer in Boots.

So in short I'd say ditch the face wash, add a serum, switch to a buttery moisturiser such as any from the La Roche Posay range. A moisturiser can be used on top of your rosehip oil at night too. Get some moisture back into your skin and see if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Whoops, hit reply too soon!

A serum with hyaluronic acid is also a good idea. Eucerin hyaluron filler is good and usually on offer in Boots.

So in short I'd say ditch the face wash, add a serum, switch to a buttery moisturiser such as any from the La Roche Posay range. A moisturiser can be used on top of your rosehip oil at night too. Get some moisture back into your skin and see if that helps!

I had been using hyraluronic acid but found it left my skin worse when I didnt use it - like the more of it used the more my skin needed it, id wear it in the mornings but after a few weeks of regular use id wake up with intense dehydration and deep lines which have actually improved since cutting serums from my skin care. My skin deteriorated massively when I started using it - I dont know if its connected to my skin problems but I met up with a friend who I hadnt seen in ages and we were talking about skin products, she said the same thing happened to her - when she started using hyaluronic acid and vichy moisturisers her skin deteriorated becoming very dehydrated and the creams and serums seemed to accelerate her lines -
    Im 29. My skin is hydrated it just seems to be sagging a bit creating folds and nose to mouth lines. Im just nervous now of trying out different creams and serums since the last time I used them.
    My aunty works in a chemist and gets allot of free or discount vichy, le roche pose etc which she uses regularly and has done for the last 20+ years - her skin is really bad, I was really surprised when my mother told my aunt is only 2 years older than her - I thought there was atleast 10 years between then, she looks like my grannys sister - not her daughter. - This sounds awful I know but its just left me very sceptical of these skin care brands - im convinced they do more harm than good.

• Advertisement

I don't like Vichy either, used a Vichy serum and it didn't suit my skin at all, was way too perfumed and dried it out.

As for your auntie, there's a million other reasons why she might have bad skin, she could be using the wrong products for her skin type, or it could be other factors. French pharmacy brands like LRP are huge sellers, surely not everyone who uses them has bad skin.

I'm sorry to say that if your skin is looking worse as you mentioned in your OP then your current routine/ products aren't working. If you're nervous which is understandable maybe try samples first? Some brands are great at giving out samples.

Have a look at blogs like www.carolinehirons.com , she has some good cheat sheets on routines etc

Advertisement