Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane with banner over Dublin City this evening

Options
  • 08-03-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Spotted a plane circling over Dublin City this evening around 5.45pm with a banner attached, I thought this was illegal over heavily populated areas?

DXzM13wWAAA5r4s.jpg:small

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Couldn't read it so it was pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AFAIK the only restricted space outside the airports is Mountjoy prison and the Phoenix Park. I recall on lots of occasions seeing planes drawing advertising banners and doing circuits around Lansdowne Road on big match days, doesn't happen so much these days as the roof of the Aviva restricts your view of such activities. A light aircraft flew over the southside (Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire) last week on one of the days when there were no commercial flights, it wasn't listed on FR24.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

You used to see banners being towed a lot more in the 80s and 90s I seem to recall.
    Also would I be right in saying a plane crashed in Weston as it was going to pick up a banner several years ago?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

NFC offer a banner towing service and the plane towing yesterday's banner looked like NFCs cub but I didn't see the reg
    https://www.nfc.ie/en/content/services/aerial-advertising/1076

The banner towed was in relation the the march that was on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Nothing illegal about it,1500 feet minimum altitude.

I built my initial flight hours towing those messages.

@Duffer2010, Kieron Crowley and a young air scout who's name I unfortunately do not know, were killed when they were picking up a banner in a Citabria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Been a while since Ive seen a banner being flown. From what I read, it was a repeal the 8th banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Advertisement