Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nothing to see here, I swears

• 09-03-2018 12:26am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm aware there has been a lot of disquiet over match chat within Team Superthreads, and I've been discussing this with the local mods

I appreciate this is something which can, to some extent, polarise views, with some posters wanting to stick within the "comfort" of their own team threads, and others feeling as if the forum Charter, which has been built up on the back of forum feedback threads, is being ignored

Typically the United and Liverpool threads are the ones that attract most interest. With that in mind we've agreed to direct all match discussion (ie dicussion of match incidents) to the match threads and stop it taking place in the Superthreads

Local mods will therefore be closing the respective Superthreads for the duration of Saturday's match. I know some posters will feel this is unfair, but equally the forum rules are quite clear. I for one think this is a worthwhile experiment, and if it works consideration can be given to adopting a similar stance in future matches.

I think doing this now also gives posters chance to reflect on the issue and hopefully will allow more "informed" discussion on the topic in the naxt annual feedback thread, with a view to adopting and enforcing the Forum Charter in this area. That does not mean there is no scope to change the Charter after the next feedback thread, but hopefully it will encourage debate on the issue in that thread and will allow a decision to be taken on the approach to be taken in the future

In the meantime, please do not discuss this in the forum. I don't think anyone should attempt to pre-judge what the ultimate conclusion will be, and equally I and the local mods would like to see how this goes without anyone kicking off beforehand about the draconian actions of an Admin:pac:

Most of all, enjoy the match, and enjoy a bit of banter surrounding it without feeling the need to rile up fans of the other team. There are two managers out there who are more than capabale of delivering on that front.....

Finally - don't blame the local mods for this - you can aim any ire at me. You can though blame them if they forget to re-open the Superthreads after the match

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OK folks, I'm opening this thread so you can discuss the above. I think it's fair to say this has been slightly mishandled at this point and there's been a bit of an over reaction on both sides to what is/should be a pretty simple matter in my opinion.

I just want it to be clear that this is a trial only. The current wording in the charter came about as a result of last summer's feedback thread, believe it or not before 6 or 7 months ago it was always against the charter to have match discussion in superthreads while a match thread was on the go. The current system hasn't worked very well so it was decided to give this a go as a once off to see how things pan out.

Just to be clear this thread is only for discussion of the above, it's not a general feedback thread to discuss moderation of the forum in general or specific mods you have a problem with.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Absolute horsesh!t and further babysitting and nannying of this already ridiculously over-modded forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The original implementation of this, without any room for discussion and the threat of infractions for mentioning it anywhere on the forum, was absolutely ridiculous.

Taking the actual decision to close the Superthreads aside, I'm not even sure how anybody thought this was a viable way of implementing it, before we ever get into the actual merit of the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So we're being made to wade into a joint match thread where each second post will be "Uhhhh Mane/Mata would never get into the Utd/Liverpool squad"

Sometimes we want to have a partisan discussion about the match in our own domain, and not be interrupted every 2 seconds by a rival fan looking to goad people.

This is incredibly foolish and going to cause more trouble than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The option to chat about the game with like minded individuals... no trolls, or barbs or insults, has been taken away.
    And its been replaced with having to enter the clusterf*ck that is a united v liverpool match day thread???!!!!
    Great idea alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

After the previous feedback thread it was agreed to allow all match talk (if posters wanted) to take place in the respective superthreads. This has actually worked a treat and actually minimised the amount of trolling going on, in the soccer forum as a whole. The Liverpool lads don’t even start match threads anymore and tbh only for one or two posters neither would the United lads.. the previous United matchthread was basically “neutral” fans posting in it with the regular posters using the superthread to discus the match.

There is a hell of a lot of very good posters that won’t go near a matchthread because of the levels of winding up that goes on in it.

By closing the superthreads you are basically not allowing these posters, who want to stay away from match threads, the chance to discuss the match with likeminded fans.

I do disagree with this decision and do think if it continues, it will drive some great posters to leave the SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IMO It is simple:

I hate the match threads cause if United don't win, or they go behind, they are ALWAYS full of opposition fans gloating and baiting. Always. The SuperThread is a much better place, imo, for United fans (in the case of the United thread) to discuss what is happening/going wrong. The speed of the thread can also be slower which aids in such discussion.

The charter states that match discussion is allowed in the superthreads. It doesn't matter when that was allowed, it doesn't matter if it used to be different. it is simply a fact that it is allowed now. The charter was changed to this, based on user feedback - clearly the user feedback being they prefered discussing more easily with fellow fans in their 'own' thread.

so closing the threads to force people to use the Match Threads, and claiming you are just enforcing the charter (a lie), is just not a credible move to have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ill be honest the snowflake ways this forum has taken recently have turned me off posting.... this tops it tbh absolutely ridiculous... if things go this way ill be avoiding the forum from now on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just hold match threads to standard of superthread.

Match threads earlier this year were trollfest free for alls.

If match threads arent subject to charter you can't expect discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I actually would rather match chat in its own thread.. bad game to start it off though lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

pjohnson wrote: »
    Just hold match threads to standard of superthread.

Match threads earlier this year were trollfest free for alls.

If match threads arent subject to charter you can't expect discussion.

This!! If the match threads are policed enough it should be ok..

discussion should be held in superthreads to avoid baiting by obvious trolls in the maTCH threads

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

astradave wrote: »
    After the previous feedback thread it was agreed to allow all match talk (if posters wanted) to take place in the respective superthreads. This has actually worked a treat and actually minimised the amount of trolling going on, in the soccer forum as a whole. The Liverpool lads don’t even start match threads anymore and tbh only for one or two posters neither would the United lads.. the previous United matchthread was basically “neutral” fans posting in it with the regular posters using the superthread to discus the match.

There is a hell of a lot of very good posters that won’t go near a matchthread because of the levels of winding up that goes on in it.

By closing the superthreads you are basically not allowing these posters, who want to stay away from match threads, the chance to discuss the match with likeminded fans.

I do disagree with this decision and do think if it continues, it will drive some great posters to leave the SF.

I respectfully disagree that the change you mentioned has worked.

I don't think it's a good thing that match threads have pretty much stopped happening for the most part off the back of it as there's no "neutral" place to discuss a match anymore and folks who venture in to Superthreads of other teams to try and discuss matches tend to get hounded out or accused of trolling by the regulars if they say something that isn't widely agreed with.

I'm not sure outright locking the superthreads is the answer long term either but it's certainly a lot more practical to keep a bit of order on one thread than two or three.

(Just to be clear in case anyone doesn't realise, I'm not actually a soccer mod anymore, so this is just my two cents from previous experience)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What was so difficult to mod in the super threads during the previous Liverpool and Man Utd game that this solution was required?

Perhaps if that was put forward it could make some sense, as it stands it makes no sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm not going to focus on the implementation of this idea. Mainly because it's obvious the mods KNEW this was going to be disliked, and tried forcing it through anyway (first posting the announcement at midnight when no one was on, and then trying to prevent any discourse because, let's face it, the reaction it would cause was obvious. It was ludicrous).

I've had this out behind the scenes with people before, and I get that there's a desire among some mods to really force the "melting pot" mentality on the Soccer forum. The current system of match threads and superthread discussion keeps the two groups that exist happy; the group who want the "banter" and want to attempt intra-team discussions, and the people who want to avoid that particular ****storm. Trying to force two groups of fans into socalising, especially when the match threads are already a disaster zone, is treating posters like little kids. Many people don't want the hassle of the "banter" match threads cause; at the end of a hard week, many just want to discuss things with like minded individuals. This has been stated by the forum users many, many times, and to utterly ignore that piece of consistant feedback is incredibly ignorant.

There's no other forum on boards.ie that gets forced into such a small, condense space. Trying to condense one of the busiest days of the year into a single thread, when you KNOW it's going to be a bombsite to begin with, is crazy. Before you start forcing that, fix the match threads as they currently exist. Enforce them properly, with a ZERO tollerance on trolling and WUMs on both sides, and when they are actually peaceful and constructive, then, on a quieter day, trial something like this.

The execution of this idea was mucked up, and the idea itself is really dodgy as well. Fix the issues that exist in match threads before you start trying to force everyone into that burning house. Because the way this is being implemented is only going to thrill the trolls and problem makers who will get a by far larger captive audience that they had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

+1 on TSC's post. Nail on head.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree that the change you mentioned has worked.

I don't think it's a good thing that match threads have pretty much stopped happening for the most part off the back of it as there's no "neutral" place to discuss a match anymore and folks who venture in to Superthreads of other teams to try and discuss matches tend to get hounded out or accused of trolling by the regulars if they say something that isn't widely agreed with.

I'm not sure outright locking the superthreads is the answer long term either but it's certainly a lot more practical to keep a bit of order on one thread than two or three.

(Just to be clear in case anyone doesn't realise, I'm not actually a soccer mod anymore, so this is just my two cents from previous experience)

Neutral discussion has took place within superthreads recently. Actual neutral discusssion mind not just posting about "buses" or "slips" that occur in match threads. Which isn't really neutral at all. Nor is it discussion either.

Actually mods is this new exclusive match thread going to be subject to charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Mickeroo wrote: »

I don't think it's a good thing that match threads have pretty much stopped happening for the most part off the back of it as there's no "neutral" place to discuss a match anymore ...

When did match threads become "neutral" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I have a question for the mods

The poster MICK has Location: Laughing with Phil in the Anfield Road Stand

He is a Man Utd fan.

I believe if this was a Liverpool poster with a location referencing Old Trafford in a similar way would get a warning.

I have for example got warnings/cards in the past for stating a negative opinion about Mourinho as I was apparently trolling.

Very poor & biased moderation towards certain posters who I suspect get along well with some mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Manchester united and Liverpool fans constantly battling with each other has already taken over the soccer forum which is not only annoying as **** but imagine other fans of other clubs feel.

The match threads have become a toxic waste of time there bascially just there for people to take the piss out of each other. It goes way beyond any match its become a personal thing among certain posters.

Me personally I like to chat casually among United fans when there's a match on I see no problem with this and its an attempt to avoid clashing with others. A much better one then what's currently being put into place!!

This whole telling people where there allowed post and in what manner is ruining the site. If r/reddevils wasn't so full of children I think a lot of people would jump ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its easier for the mods, that instead of hopping between 3 threads and a raft of reported posts, its all confined into 1 area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Neutral discussion has took place within superthreads recently. Actual neutral discusssion mind not just posting about "buses" or "slips" that occur in match threads. Which isn't really neutral at all. Nor is it discussion either.

Actually mods is this new exclusive match thread going to be subject to charter?

I presume the thinking behind it is that it will encourage any neutral "lurkers" and non regular forum visitors to post as most are unlikely to do so in the relative team's superthread thereby increasing traffic.

However, I agree completely with TSC's post. There are plenty of days and matches where there'll be significant enough traffic above background levels to give this a go. This is one of the two most contentious days of a season where the two largest groups of the forum decide to sling more **** at each other than usual in the match thread and in fact increase the need for match discussion in the superthreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

MD1990 wrote: »

He is a Man Utd fan.

I believe if this was a Liverpool poster with a location referencing Old Trafford in a similar way would get a warning.

I have for example got warnings/cards in the past for stating a negative opinion about Mourinho as I was apparently trolling.

Very poor & biased moderation towards certain posters who I suspect get along well with some mods.

Ah you poor thing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its easier for the mods, that instead of hopping between 3 threads and a raft of reported posts, its all confined into 1 area.

so have a mod dedicated to watching each thread and dealing with the reported posts in that thread,no hopping needed!

He is a Man Utd fan.

You can PM a Mod with any concerns about another posters signature or report it if you feel it warrants action.

This thread is for discussion of the subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

More daft high-handed orders from those who must not be questioned. Honestly don't think the Admins here could be more out of touch with what the users want and you really have to love the whole "WE HAVE DECIDED THIS FOR YOU. DO NOT DARE TO TALK ABOUT IT!"

And then they wonder why people don't bother to interact with their feedback thread or have any faith that it will achieve anything. The Admins of Boards are slowly but surely driving it into the ground with their fingers in their ears.

Everyone knows how much of a sh1tshow matchday threads can be on Liverpool v United games, why on earth anyone would think it's anything other than idiocy to force everyone to interact in one is beyond me.

It's like you're trying to actively turn people away from the site. I know I won't be bothering to check back here until after the match is over.

Dozyart wrote: »
    so have a mod dedicated to watching each thread and dealing with the reported posts in that thread,no hopping needed!

You cant expect people to always be online and policing specifi threads.

In an ideal world people wouldnt act the d**k online and there would be no need for a charter or mods at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So if this is a general unilateral decision to reverse the thing done only a few months back, will it apply to all teams and all games ultimately? Will mods closing the Aston villa super thread in case someone mentions something in a game currently happening? I assume it is only going to apply to Liverpool and Man Utd though to solve a problem that hasn't been a problem for months.

Making more work for yourselves that annoys large sections of the user base here is not a sensible thing to be doing. Beasty says that he should take all the flak, not the local mods, so, beasty, this was a ridiculous idea with a ridiculously heavy handed way of implementing it, which is not an isolated incident I'm afraid.

All you need to do to mod is a massive dose of common sense, with a dollop of context, and a big stick to wield when the first 2 things fail. Instead we have rules, rules, more rules, and proclamations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Finally something liverpool and united fans agree on.

Would post rarely enough but I do enjoy reading the superthreads during matches. Won't be bothering to read match thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Molehill meet mountain.

If all you have is a (ban)hammer every problem looks like a nail.

• MD1990 wrote: »

He is a Man Utd fan.

Are you actually serious? My feelings are hurt on an internet forum because M!Ck^....

Hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

One thing is for sure, I wont be posting in the match thread and Im sure there are plenty of regulars who wont as well so if you are trying to drive down your regular user bases contributions then you have succeeded.

Its a bizzare decison to make and to top it all off you couldnt have picked a worse match to "trial" it on.

It makes a mockery of the last feedback thread where the decision was made to put in the charter that matches could be discussed in superthreads. How do you expect posters to have any confidence in the admins of the site if their feedback is taken note of, made part of the charter and then ripped to shreds on a midnight post without any warning let alone discussion.

Not only that, its not even reverting to how it used to be. The superthreads are now locked for the duration of the game. I mean come on. How condescending can you be to your members?

In short, a ridiculous idea implemented appallingly which will only drive the bread and butter posters of the soccer forum away in their droves.

I`m actually astonished that anyone high above though this was a good idea let alone was involved in the ham fisted implementation of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My solution to this would be to simply not post at all from KO to FT. Not sure if any of us has the strength of character to manage that but it would send a message if we simply staged a walk type out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My solution to this would be to simply not post at all from KO to FT. Not sure if any of us has the strength of character to manage that but it would send a message if we simply staged a walk type out.

I certainly wont be posting. Ive try to avoid match thread the last few years since they went to sh1te.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? My feelings are hurt on an internet forum because M!Ck^....

Hilarious

My feelings are not hurt at all.

Just something I have noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

User profiles have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Soccer mods, so your point is wrong from the get-go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nib9YlmCEJI

• MD1990 wrote: »

So what do I have to do with the objective of this thread? If you want to have a little moan about me maybe pm a mod or report it

Cringetastic stuff posting it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think we all get this is a private forum on a privately own site so therefore you get to make the rules.

The problem being when you tell the users the forum and site they don't have a right to reply then that forum and site dies as the users leave and this has been happening to Boards.ie in general not just the soccer forum over the last number of years.

Threatening users with cards and bans for questioning is just ridiculous.

The owners/people running the site having being killing it slowly themselves more than the users.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So what do I have to do with the objective of this thread? If you want to have a little moan about me maybe pm a mod or report it

Cringetastic stuff posting it here

What I mentioned is related to why there has been no match threads.

Different rules for different posters.

• Advertisement

this is one of the reasons i steer clear of match threads

GavRedKing wrote: »

So ease of moderator work supercedes discussion? This is a discussion forum. Naturally there are going to be days when things go a bit batshít insane but that is surely part of moderating?

Match threads failed completely to house actual match discussion earlier this year. If United fall behind Pool fans start up "bantz", if Pool fall behind United fans start "bantz". Its not a discussion of the current match.

So the solution is that the actual discussion threads have been shut and the troll thread is left? The troll threads which people have been no longer posting in? I guess less posts means less work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

M!Ck^ wrote:

To be fair Mick you've hurt my feelings in the past too........

Ah here stop with the victim/conspiracy thing that ye've been playing a while now. Report a post if you think it breaches charter instead of crying over it.

Can ye not see crying over mod decisions leads to ye getting more cards and crying more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This ‘it’ll be easier for moderators’ line is nonsense. What you should have is two superthreads which are self policing because of the people who are going to post there and the nature of the posts, along with a match thread.

Instead you’re trying to funnel everyone into one thread and there are going to be people losing the head, rising to bait in the heat of the moment and getting banned.

It’s like locking a gang of cats and dogs in a shed so that they’ll be easier to keep an eye on in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This is truly an awful load of shîte. Beasty, it’s like you’re actively trying to turn people away from the forum. If this little “experiment” goes ahead as planned tomorrow there won’t be fifty posters left on Sunday with all the bans that’ll come out of it. Even if it goes ahead smoothly, I wouldn’t be particularly arsed posting in a forum that blatantly contradicts the constructive feedback it got over the last year or so.

People asked for match discussions to be allowed in superthreads and it was granted. Things are working fine the way they are, why would anyone think it’s a good idea to fcuk with it just to see what happens?

Ah here stop with the victim/conspiracy thing that ye've been playing a while now. Report a post if you think it breaches charter instead of crying over it.

Can ye not see crying over mod decisions leads to ye getting more cards and crying more.

I don't see any problem mentioning it on this thread rather than sending a pm.

I am not crying about anything just stating my opinion about different rules for different posters.

Don't see a problem with that at all.

This ‘it’ll be easier for moderators’ line is nonsense. What you should have is two superthreads which are self policing because of the people who are going to post there and the nature of the posts, along with a match thread.

Instead you’re trying to funnel everyone into one thread and there are going to be people losing the head, rising to bait in the heat of the moment and getting banned.

It’s like locking a gang of cats and dogs in a shed so that they’ll be easier to keep an eye on in there.

Except in this case the cats and dogs have united against the locksmith :P

Joke aside thats a perfect analogy tbh

martyos121 wrote: »
    This is truly an awful load of shîte. Beasty, it’s like you’re actively trying to turn people away from the forum. If this little “experiment” goes ahead as planned tomorrow there won’t be fifty posters left on Sunday with all the bans that’ll come out of it. Even if it goes ahead smoothly, I wouldn’t be particularly arsed posting in a forum that blatantly contradicts the constructive feedback it got over the last year or so.

People asked for match discussions to be allowed in superthreads and it was granted. Things are working fine the way they are, why would anyone think it’s a good idea to fcuk with it just to see what happens?

Probably because a match thread will generate more traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't see any problem mentioning it on this thread rather than sending a pm.

I am not crying about anything just stating my opinion about different rules for different posters.

Don't see a problem with that at all.

Mod: You've been told to drop it, and you've also been told that the Soccer mods don't police user profiles, that's a site admin thing. You've ignored both. Last warning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement