Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nothing to see here, I swears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

one poster rocking the boat here already..... yeah sure let him loose in the match thread and see what kinda **** he can stir.... no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What genius thought this was a good idea?
    Laughable but not surprising considering the way the SF has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Right at a time when Boards is supposed to be inviting feedback & when Mods are supposed to be more considerate, we have have the daftest decision. It's just plain unnecessary.

Lord TSC's post sums it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I always figured it is easier to mod a superthread as a troll post is more obvious and easier to act upon (edit, warning, cards etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Mods have a tough job and I sympathise with them for some of the posters they've to try and deal with on a daily basis. My main issue is not the idea but the actual way you guys tried to implement it. Horrendous decision from anyone involved in the thought process of that decision. You've a volatile bunch on this forum at the best of time and if you wanted to trial something then by all means put it out there for discussion and not set it as a binding decision on one of the biggest games of the season tomorrow (in terms of posters)

The you have unilaterally decided to change something that was roundly supported by posters on here in the last feedback thread is ridiculous. I've seen a few good posters go by the wayside in the last few months and I can see why. I avoid match threads, the vast majority of posters of most teams tend to avoid them. Have them for a cohort of people who want them but leave the rest of the forum in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My solution to this would be to simply not post at all from KO to FT. Not sure if any of us has the strength of character to manage that but it would send a message if we simply staged a walk type out.

Honest to god I was only thinking along these lines when I seen this all mentioned first early on.

This is what I will be doing myself. Let's face it the match thread tommorrw the vast majority of people in it will just be there to act the fool depending on what happens during the match.

I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of people in the soccer forum but really most of us are all here for same reason.

So I think if this is how things are going to be dealt with now we should make a point and just not post in tommorrw s match thread full stop. The super threads will reopen after the game in which fans can chat about the actual match not the bull**** between the usual people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why not just have a full time pool/utd slagging thread and be done with it,i certainly won't be partaking in tomorrow's little experiment

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why not just have a full time pool/utd slagging thread and be done with it,i certainly won't be partaking in tomorrow's little experiment
    or we could try to promote both set of supporters getting along and have a decent discussion/debate about the match in the match thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

All I can say lads based on my experience modding boards is good luck with managing that thread tomorrow. Surprised volunteers would agree to it. Worth an experiment I suppose but couldn't have picked a worse match for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just coming from the Games forum where I said I couldn't think of a more toxic environment than a PS, PC, X-box cross play game and lo and behold the soccer mods have created one.

All I can say lads based on my experience modding boards is good luck with managing that thread tomorrow. Surprised volunteers would agree to it. Worth an experiment I suppose but couldn't have picked a worse match for it.

It might be really easy as most of the lads on the United Superthread won't be there. The liverpool lads can fight among themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its easier for the mods, that instead of hopping between 3 threads and a raft of reported posts, its all confined into 1 area.

Now I have no clue what the process is for ye mods in terms of dealing with reported posts and general moderating, but surely it would be easier for users to report posts in the separate threads due to less posts and therefore making it easier to spot the culprits. With that, naturally a troll will have less incentive and desire to pull the piss in a superthread vs a match thread as he will stand out clearly in a match thread. That removes part of the problem already.

Traffic on one thread that should be on three will be obscene and people taking the piss will perhaps slip through the cracks and escape punishment easier. A United fan taking the piss in a Liverpool thread will stick out like a sore thumb, and vice versa. Very easy for the regulars to report and surely easy enough for ye mods to act upon that in due time.

Again I'm not aware of how tedious your duties are but I can't see how a big clutterf*ck fest of taking the piss plus genuine insight mixed with general match statements is easier to moderate than three smaller threads which are naturally more organised and easier to see discrepancies, if that's the right word. That's just what makes sense to my brain anyway. That's not even going into the benefits of fans of the same team having their own place to discuss things at half time or whatever. Trying to do that in the midst of trolling and/or general one worder comments relating to the game is just not going to work. At the end of the day it's supposed to be a discussion forum, surely doing something that will clearly reduce good discussion is a brain dead move.

Match threads are obviously in a state and I dunno how you would fix that issue. Seems things are more lenient there as they are expected to be more light-hearted and what not. However with decent traffic being diverted to the superthreads which shouldn't be too hostile anyway, people taking the piss will stand out somewhat more, and should make it easier for people to stop and report if they see fit and for you guys to act on it.

Emotions are going to be high when your team is playing, let alone in a game involving your rival. People will say rash things. I don't know how people are able to post on forums while a game is playing when their team is involved anyway. Maybe it's a good thing to put the phone down and just enjoy the match and forget the forums until after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In a way I don't think it'll be all that tough because so many people will be staying away from it. The Admins will then somehow declare the whole thing a massive success and the drain away from boards will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It was always the case no match discussion in team threads was allowed, going back donkeys years, so it's not an indication of the site going "snowflake" or nannying blah blah blah. This is nonsense and people are just using this as their latest thing to wring their hands in woe.

I've no opinion either way about if it'll work any better or not, but the sky definitely isn't falling in, so we should be okay.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've had this out behind the scenes with people before, and I get that there's a desire among some mods to really force the "melting pot" mentality on the Soccer forum. The current system of match threads and superthread discussion keeps the two groups that exist happy; the group who want the "banter" and want to attempt intra-team discussions, and the people who want to avoid that particular ****storm. Trying to force two groups of fans into socalising, especially when the match threads are already a disaster zone, is treating posters like little kids. Many people don't want the hassle of the "banter" match threads cause; at the end of a hard week, many just want to discuss things with like minded individuals. This has been stated by the forum users many, many times, and to utterly ignore that piece of consistant feedback is incredibly ignorant.

I hugely disagree with this paragraph. The idea that there should be two groups and they be kept separated is not treating people like adults.

Protecting the two groups from each other encourages the hostility when they do come together (and that is very apparent since the charter has changed whenever an opposing fan dares to come into a rival thread) and expecting adults to contribute like adults together in one place is not a extraordinary thing. It is anything but treating them like kids.

Maybe this may have worked or it may have not. Liverpool v United matchthreads recently have been calm affairs and the problem has been afterwards during the fallout in the Superthread discussion in the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Typical boards to be fair. Ignore what the users want and pretend they are doing a great job. It may have been in the past that we couldn't discuss a match in the super thread but right now the rules state we can. Stopping people from questioning that is pathetic.

Don't give me the crap about volunteering blah blah. If you dont wanna be a mod don't..... likewise if you don't want to run a website, don't.

Only a matter of time before you alienate us all enough to move on to the a replacement.

A forum is nothing without users and their opinion matters. Ruling with an iron fist only lasts so long.

dfx- wrote: »
    I hugely disagree with this paragraph. The idea that there should be two groups and they be kept separated is not treating people like adults.

Protecting the two groups from each other encourages the hostility when they do come together (and that is very apparent since the charter has changed whenever an opposing fan dares to come into a rival thread) and expecting adults to contribute like adults together in one place is not a extraordinary thing. It is anything but treating them like kids.

Maybe this may have worked or it may have not. Liverpool v United matchthreads recently have been calm affairs and the problem has been afterwards during the fallout in the Superthread discussion in the following week.

No-one is 'protected' from each other under the current system. People have the choice whether or not they want to interact with a certain set of fans at a certain time and you're removing that. Do I as a Liverpool fan want to read gloating United fan posting throughout a football match? God no. There's no meaningful discussion to be had between rivals sets of fans during a match, save that for after it.

Forcing people who want to talk about a match to do it in just one thread is daft and the heavy-handed, do not dare question us, method in which this has been laid down is just indicative of much bigger problems on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

At the end of the day if you go into an opposition superthread and look for actual constructive discussion it will be welcomed on all sides, if you go in with the sole attempt to wind people up, you will either be ignored or called out for what you are and/or reported.

As a United fan I have often gone into the Liverpool thread and had some very good discussions about things that are happening at the time. And likewise Liverpool fans have had some very reasonable debates in the United thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

262ch3.jpg

I assume that this is part of the build up to the Pope's visit ? Why can't people who support a club discuss the match, like they would at home or in a pub, without a pile of hassle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Maybe just get more draconian over infractions around these games? I can't say I notice many opposition fans coming in during matches, **** stirrers or no.

If there's ever any it's mostly gloating post game.
    Just ban for a week for first offence, a month for 2nd, etc.

I tend to post during the break for games that are really worth paying attention to, do it's not really any skin off my nose, but any online site trying to prevent people posting is doomed to fail.

In a way I don't think it'll be all that tough because so many people will be staying away from it. The Admins will then somehow declare the whole thing a massive success and the drain away from boards will continue.

Or it will become a nightmare & they can close Soccer for good. It's impossible to get inside the heads of the heads at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I'm looking forward to it any way. As a user it should be absolutely hilarious for a multitude of reasons and I say that as a Liverpool fan.

Tbh since there's been no/less match threads, there has been less baiting and probably more interaction between the two groups. There was discussing in both superthreads by fans on both sides during the week and all civil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When will boards.ie cop the **** on that match threads and superthreads are very different animals? How many feedback threads before the idea sinks in that the discussions in each, the types of posts in each, and the mood of posting in each are simply not the same?

And then to insist that if you want to post about a team you have to do it in a match thread? Jesus. H. Christ.

Imagine match threads are nightclubs and superthreads are pubs. You basically just told all the lads that fancy a quiet pint that if they want one they need to go into Coppers at 2 in the morning. Like how the **** did you think that would go down well?

The implementation was underhand but the real problem is that you still don't get the difference between the threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pjohnson wrote: »
    Neutral discussion has took place within superthreads recently. Actual neutral discusssion mind not just posting about "buses" or "slips" that occur in match threads. Which isn't really neutral at all. Nor is it discussion either.

Actually mods is this new exclusive match thread going to be subject to charter?

I've been posting in the United thread quite regularly and don't think I've ever been hounded out, of it as someone earlier said can happen, because I had a differing opinion.

It's the same when United fans post in the Liverpool thread. If you have something sensible to say or can at least discuss your point sensibly most posters will engage in a positive matter.

Over the last few months I've had some very good discussions with yourself, Jayo, Jayop, Mick, Zerks and others in the United thread, especially during games where the usual headdaballs are in the Match Threads.

I think I saw that Astradave has decided to not post anymore because of the decision today and the heavy handed tatic by the Mods/Admin team.

He was a very good poster in the Forum and I wouldn't be surprised if others followed him if this rule is maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think its been shown not everyone is capable of being an adult. Otherwise no mods would be needed. Theres been plenty of crossover recently in the United & Pool superthreads with no problem (a few whinged about the new posters but the discussion continued around them).

In a dream world people would be adults and you'd get a non-United fan post in the United Superthread "Pogba is really out of form and needs to be treated better by Mourinho" that will lead to discussion. If an non-United posts "Pogba iz shiťe lololol" then you will get fúcked outta it but is it really a suprise?

Imagine match threads are nightclubs and superthreads are pubs. You basically just told all the lads that fancy a quiet pint that if they want one they need to go into Coppers at 2 in the morning. Like how the **** did you think that would go down well?

The implementation was underhand but the real problem is that you still don't get the difference between the threads.

I think there's an even simpler analogy than that. Tomorrow at Old Trafford where will the United fans sit and where will the Liverpool fans sit. Will there be someone coming in and telling them they all have to sit together as an experiment and that they're not allowed to question it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

it's an experiment, whats the fuss in seeing how it gets on before completely dismissing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was always the case no match discussion in team threads was allowed, going back donkeys years, so it's not an indication of the site going "snowflake" or nannying blah blah blah. This is nonsense and people are just using this as their latest thing to wring their hands in woe.

I've no opinion either way about if it'll work any better or not, but the sky definitely isn't falling in, so we should be okay.

And there’s the sort of attitude that could see the ultimate demise of the soccer forum.

So yeah it WAS like that for donkey years but was changed after a feedbqc’ thread that wa opened.

I’d advise you read the whole thread here as your post reads as if you haven’t read it or are wilfully ignoring the disgruntled posters points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    it's an experiment, whats the fuss in seeing how it gets on before completely dismissing it?

What's the fuss in listening to the actual users of the forum and stop meddling where there's no need to?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've been posting in the United thread quite regularly and don't think I've ever been hounded out, of it as someone earlier said can happen, because I had a differing opinion.

It's the same when United fans post in the Liverpool thread. If you have something sensible to say or can at least discuss your point sensibly most posters will engage in a positive matter.

Over the last few months I've had some very good discussions with yourself, Jayo, Jayop, Mick, Zerks and others in the United thread, especially during games where the usual headdaballs are in the Match Threads.

I think I saw that Astradave has decided to not post anymore because of the decision today and the heavy handed tatic by the Mods/Admin team.

He was a very good poster in the Forum and I wouldn't be surprised if others followed him if this rule is maintained.

Exactly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Imagine match threads are nightclubs and superthreads are pubs. You basically just told all the lads that fancy a quiet pint that if they want one they need to go into Coppers at 2 in the morning. Like how the **** did you think that would go down well.

I adore that anaology. I've been searching for it for quite a while, and it perfectly sums up the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

How about the mods just take a few weeks off(like....forever) and instead make the ignore function more utilized and possible to block quoting too.

Half the squabbles can be resorted by "if you don't like what he says, ignore him". Petty "report post" wars, it's hilariously OTT. The only things that should be carded or banned are things that might be legally wrong or massively offensive.

Carding someone cos he sends someone a gif of a bus, or slagging off a player, is fvcking draconian nonsense.

A couple of mods to watch out for bots and really severe nonsense. Just ignore the rest. The "charter" is so ridiculous it can easily be interpreted differently where a mod chooses to.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Because it’s being “trialed” on one of the biggest games of the year. And we were only notified of this trial basically the day before the match. It’s a downright awful decision to make basically reversing a change to the charter that was made due to the feedback thread.

It they really wanted to Trial something like this the best way would have been to pick a match that ONE of the teams were playing and seeing how they got on.. mind you it would probably be met with the same level of disdain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I suppose we could all PM one another with bantz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

adox wrote: »
    And there’s the sort of attitude that could see the ultimate demise of the soccer forum.

So yeah it WAS like that for donkey years but was changed after a feedbqc’ thread that wa opened.

I’d advise you read the whole thread here as your post reads as if you haven’t read it or are wilfully ignoring the disgruntled posters points.

Thanks dad, I did read the thread. I have no sway in the football forum so why my opinion would see the demise of the forum any more than your opinion would is odd. You are right about one thing though, I'm ignoring the permadisgruntled. Because they haven't been gruntled for a while anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Ah ffs

Astradave come back lad

Edit&
    *NM Titan he's still here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

popcorn will be needed for this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its easier for the mods, that instead of hopping between 3 threads and a raft of reported posts, its all confined into 1 area.

Its easier for me to not go to work but I still have to do it Gav - Ridiculous post - If you dont want to mod - dont do it! Or assign a mod to each thread.

I dont believe soccer mods should be modding these matchday threads either - They seem to heavily favour Utd posters.

Get in a neutral - who doesnt give a toss about soccer and tell him to simply enforce order to charter specifics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks dad, I did read the thread. I have no sway in the football forum so why my opinion would see the demise of the forum any more than your opinion would is odd. You are right about one thing though, I'm ignoring the permadisgruntled. Because they haven't been gruntled for a while anyway.

Cute with the sarcasm.

My point was that you were dismissing people with concerns with a sure “everything will be grand” and sure they are always moaning implications. Sure look at the post I’m quoting. You’ve written the “permadisgruntled”. I mean ffs.

My tenuous link to you and boards is that you are a mod in the sports forum. I realize you have no connection with the soccer forum(I don’t even know if you post there) but if your sort of thinking is representative of the culture among mods and those higher up then I think your arse may be bitten before you realize it.

How about the mods just take a few weeks off(like....forever) and instead make the ignore function more utilized and possible to block quoting too.

Half the squabbles can be resorted by "if you don't like what he says, ignore him". Petty "report post" wars, it's hilariously OTT. The only things that should be carded or banned are things that might be legally wrong or massively offensive.

Carding someone cos he sends someone a gif of a bus, or slagging off a player, is fvcking draconian nonsense.

A couple of mods to watch out for bots and really severe nonsense. Just ignore the rest. The "charter" is so ridiculous it can easily be interpreted differently where a mod chooses to.

This is probably a worse idea than the one that caused this furore :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is probably a worse idea than the one that caused this furore :pac:

Well you would say that cos you're so fond of the report button.

Some people eh.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah ffs

Astradave come back lad

Edit&
    *NM Titan he's still here :)

I just saw that... Who the hell said they were done earlier then :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ardinn wrote: »
    Its easier for me to not go to work but I still have to do it Gav - Ridiculous post - If you dont want to mod - dont do it! Or assign a mod to each thread.

I dont believe soccer mods should be modding these matchday threads either - They seem to heavily favour Utd posters.

Get in a neutral - who doesnt give a toss about soccer and tell him to simply enforce order to charter specifics!

This is the crux of it, there are so many mods and yet when called upon it seems they can't make the commitment to police the forum for this entirely foreseeable event. Maybe this forum needs to consider auxiliary mods who can be drafted in for the busy periods, just wait for the Liverpool v Man Utd Champions League final! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Open the match thread in After Hours and let the Mods there sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ridiculous idea in the first place, ridiculous how it was pushed out with the threat of infractions for even discussing it, the over modding is diabolical here.
    Why not just close the whole forum down for the day to make things a lot more easier for the mods?
    This is akin to sticking 2 violent fighting dogs into a cage with no means of escape, at least fans were relatively 'safe' in their own superthreads.
    Well done boards, excelled again

Open the match thread in After Hours and let the Mods there sort it out.

Fantastic idea!

No wait, blessed charter be thy name says rule 11.3 section C point II extra x 2.56 says this is not allowed.

Someone just got offended, quick, report it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I just saw that... Who the hell said they were done earlier then :confused:

I did but that was before this opened. I’m just giving some feedback and awaiting a decision in fairness.. the reason being as I was in discussions with the mod/admin last night and would like to see the final decision being made before i make an informed decision. I’d say there is plenty in the same boat

astradave wrote: »
    I did but that was before this opened. I’m just giving some feedback and awaiting a decision in fairness.. the reason being as I was in discussions with the mod/admin last night and would like to see the final decision being made before i make an informed decision. I’d say there is plenty in the same boat

Well would you mind fecking off because you ruined my point :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement