Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nothing to see here, I swears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Well you would say that cos you're so fond of the report button.

Some people eh.

How would you know that, if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

If the mods do their jobs there should be no reason to close any threads or put any weird restrictions on things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

adox wrote: »
    Cute with the sarcasm.

My point was that you were dismissing people with concerns with a sure “everything will be grand” and sure they are always moaning implications. Sure look at the post I’m quoting. You’ve written the “permadisgruntled”. I mean ffs.

My tenuous link to you and boards is that you are a mod in the sports forum. I realize you have no connection with the soccer forum(I don’t even know if you post there) but if your sort of thinking is representative of the culture among mods and those higher up then I think your arse may be bitten before you realize it.

I think my sarcasm was just about in line with your level of patronising, but thanks for calling me cute, you're probably not so bad yourself.

I'm dismissing people who suggest this idea is because boards is becoming more nannying and snowflake etcetera. It is is nonsense, soccer is much lighter moderated than it was years ago, so yes, I think that argument is worth disagreeing with. My opinion is also this decision really is not that big a deal.

Mod culture? There is no culture that I'm aware of, though I will admit I love a fishtail parka.

Biting me in the arse in Rugby League? Those kind of shenanigans are more than of a Union thing.

Again, in summary, I'm meh about the decision.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    How would you know that, if you don’t mind me asking?

Fairly sure its just a guess since I disagreed with him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

chupacabra wrote: »
    If the mods do their jobs there should be no reason to close any threads or put any weird restrictions on things

Maybe boards should look at the standard of their mods?

Great now we are all targets for the mods :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I mainly stick to posting in Liverpool threads as I'm a Liverpool fan, I don't think I would post in a match thread at all, even for the smaller games...

It's a bit silly taking my option of posting with my usual Liverpool supporting comrades away, all because a few dopes can't keep it in their knickers if it goes either way...

And that works for both sets of fans, clowns on both sides and great posters on both sides also...

I think it's overkill blocking everyone posting in their respective forum's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm aware there has been a lot of disquiet over match chat within Team Superthreads

I forgot to mention, I don't find this plausible and think it should be clarified.

The feedback thread demonstrated that posters wanted to be able to discuss games in the superthreads. This was implemented and to my eyes has worked perfectly well, I have seen very little disruption in the United superthread and have not seen any posters complaining about the change.

If all this crap is due to "disquiet", can the mods clarify just what this disquiet was and where it was coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? My feelings are hurt on an internet forum because M!Ck^....

Hilarious

He's right, though, in the sense that you are an utter cock of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Now it’s got to the stage that lads are trying to get banned for the match :eek:

• mosstin wrote: »
    He's right, though, in the sense that you are an utter cock of the highest order.
    The fanbase!

• Advertisement

Now I’m starting to see why they want it all in one place :D personal attacks on a bloody feedback thread! Boards.ie everybody!

• astradave wrote: »
    Now I’m starting to see why they want it all in one place :D personal attacks on a bloody feedback thread! Boards.ie everybody!

Lads having a meltdown / mare :pac:

It will definitely make tomorow easier to moderate. 2/3 threads shut and posters getting carded 20hrs or so before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

The fanbase!

One of many, believe me.

Lads having a meltdown / mare :pac:

I’m just so happy that our side are behaving themselves. We’re winning the fan war anyway. A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I’m just so happy that our side are behaving themselves. We’re winning the fan war anyway. A great bunch of lads.

Eh - liverpool fans are the best in the world

facts.jpg

ardinn wrote: »

Didn’t your old sponsor used to say that about their lager? Was it true? Hell no!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Open the match thread in After Hours and let the Mods there sort it out.

I feel like I lose either way here :D

Rafa.jpg

In fairness, Liverpool haven’t a patch on us Bohs fans :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Making the mods job easier by corraling it all into one thread is stupid for a number of reasons. For a start, it has now pissed off a huge nunber of regular, solid posters who were happy enough with how things are going. Never alienate your user base.

Secondly, the mods have offered to do this. Nobody put a gun to their heads, they willingly offered themselves up for this. Saturday will be one of the busiest days of the year for them, but that is part of the spec. Forcing one of the busiest forums to do things a certain way for their comfort is pretty ridiculous. If 10 mods/cmods/admins can't get together and work out a plan to moderate 3 threads for one day in a year, then you need to review whether these guys actually want to be involved. No offence meant to anybody as they're a decent bunch, but it is what it is.

Finally, you are dealing with the symptom rather than the root cause. The biggest issue with match threads is low level trolls and grown men who engage in some online war with one another based on two teams in a different country. Actively policing this nonsense, and we can see some of the tit for tat already in this thread, is the only course of action. I cringe when I read how some of these people go on and then realise that I'd seen them in another forum talking about their teenage kids. Actual grown-ups with real life responsibilities behaving like mouth breathing idiots.

Closing threads and taking drastic measures suggests that you have a problem that you are not effectively dealing with.

• mosstin wrote: »
    One of many, believe me.

Oh I imagine. It's quite sad really
    Obsession!

Oh I imagine. It's quite sad really
    Obsession!

Whats quite sad is the poster posted three times and let it go - will you be on about this for much longer mick - Do you want your own thread??

Actually dont answer that - we will be here till tomorrow listening to ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

wew lad, i didnt know Liverpool fans on boards lived rent free inside M!CK's head

• ardinn wrote: »
    Whats quite sad is the poster posted three times and let it go - will you be on about this for much longer mick - Do you want your own thread??

Actually dont answer that - we will be here till tomorrow listening to ye!

Did he, he just called me a cock a couple posts up. Good lad

Did he, he just called me a cock a couple posts up. Good lad

You’re supposed to shut up and say nothing. Now that you replied, it’s all your fault.

• Advertisement

If 10 mods/cmods/admins can't get together and work out a plan to moderate 3 threads for one day in a year, then you need to review whether these guys actually want to be involved. No offence meant to anybody as they're a decent bunch, but it is what it is.

This is what I alluded to earlier - taking CMods aswell into account along with admins you have a ridiculous amount of people to do it.

3 threads?

I think one would be worse as you'd all be falling over one another trying to ban people.

I posted in match threads a few time but recently started posting in the liverpool thread during matches and must say I thoroughly enjoy the discussions. Compared to Match threads they are a joy.

Pity your messing it up unnecessarily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its easier for me to not go to work but I still have to do it Gav - Ridiculous post - If you dont want to mod - dont do it! Or assign a mod to each thread.

I dont believe soccer mods should be modding these matchday threads either - They seem to heavily favour Utd posters.

Get in a neutral - who doesnt give a toss about soccer and tell him to simply enforce order to charter specifics!

You dont get paid to mod, unfortunately.

Also, bringing in outside mods, a novel idea for extra help but they wouldnt be up to speed with anything at all.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Also, bringing in outside mods, a novel idea for extra help but they wouldnt be up to speed with anything at all.

But, we're ready.

168c926aabb2ffff63dc565ecd45b1db.jpg

But, we're ready.

168c926aabb2ffff63dc565ecd45b1db.jpg

Really?
    Or are you the lad who forgot his balaclava :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Really?
    Or are you the lad who forgot his balaclava :pac:

Fupp it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’ve long been an advocate for integration and making the forum a melting pot as its USP. I was against the change to allow match talk in the superthreads on that basis. However the change was made and the majority of my fellow Liverpool fans are enjoying posting solely in the superthread. Ultimately:

- this change is a result of your own feedback process
    - the time to revisit a change is therefore in the end of season forum feedback thread
    - further change requires consultation and evidence, particularly because the majority of the user base disagrees with you

Too late for buyers remorse. And trying to force it through in the manner you did is symptomatic of why this site is slowly failing, as noted by many before me.

Not bothered myself by the closing.

However, it appears that a large amount of the population want to be able to post in their own threads. Majority rules?

The Utd and Pool threads have been moving towards Utd only/Pool only fans in recent years anyway. Might be an idea to make it official, and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm aware there has been a lot of disquiet over match chat within Team Super threads....

What??? Have feedback threads been full of this as a major issue?

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What??? Have feedback threads been full of this as a major issue?

i actually think it's been working quite well. Utd and Liverpool fans don't mix anymore and the forum works better.

Who are the people who have been complaining about it?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Not bothered myself by the closing.

However, it appears that a large amount of the population want to be able to post in their own threads. Majority rules?

The Utd and Pool threads have been moving towards Utd only/Pool only fans in recent years anyway. Might be an idea to make it official, and be done with it.

I don’t get this line of thinking, the majority of posters on both sides of the coin are more than welcoming to opposition fans for reasonable discussion. If you want an echo chamber I’d suggest you try RAWK

I don’t get this line of thinking, the majority of posters on both sides of the coin are more than welcoming to opposition fans for reasonable discussion. If you want an echo chamber I’d suggest you try RAWK

I was always against it but who mingles with each other. these days on here? Haven't seen a decent regular Utd poster in years in the Pool thread in years,. They've all left the site maybe?

In fact no Utd poster regulary posts in the Pool thread and that suits tbh.

No thanks to RAWK, it's for teenagers. Same as the Utd Redcafe. Both sites cesspits for clowns.

I read just about every post in the United thread, for good and bad. I don't know what it's like in the Pool thread, but I can't remember the last time I saw a comment in the United thread giving out about match discussion in the superthread. Or any form of disquiet about it.

To use this as part of the reason to close the main threads during the match seems disingenuous.

Match threads are our equivalent of the Youtube comments section. The comments are largely reactionary and many are of a WUM nature. While there has been some decent discussion in the MUFCvLFC thread so far, that will change the closer we get to kick-off for the game.

Not that it'll matter, but consider me another poster put-off by this rash, non-nonsensical move.

I was always against it but who mingles with each other. these days on here? Haven't seen a decent regular Utd poster in years in the Pool thread in years,. They've all left the site.

No thanks to RAWK, it's for teenagers. Same as the Utd Redcafe. Both sites cesspits for clowns.

Jaysus thanks :D but I do.. and I find the discussion very welcome. And there is plenty of Liverpool and other opposition fans that regularly post in the United forum

I was always against it but who mingles with each other. these days on here? Haven't seen a decent regular Utd poster in years in the Pool thread in years,. They've all left the site maybe?

You must have missed a lot of posts recently. Astradave & jayo have had discussions in the Liverpool thread, Ricero & TitianGerm in the United thread, thats in last few days or so.....

pjohnson wrote: »
    You must have missed a lot of posts recently. Astradave & jayo have had discussions in the Liverpool thread, Ricero & TitianGerm in the United thread, thats in last few days or so.....

Regular decent Utd posters in the Pool thread? Definitely missed it. wasn't on that much this week tbf.

If it's happening it's not a common thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well mods and admin ye have done the 1 thing people thought impossible I this forum and made the Liverpool and Manchester United fans agree on the same thing that takes some doing.

This decision had been I'll thought out and I'll executed and you have admitted as such and instead of learning you have decided to bulldoze through with this mess. Ye have scored a very bad Own goal.

If you think this will make things easier I feel you have not thought it true. Even banning a match thread would not have been crazier then this. I suggest that this decision is though at again before tomorrow's game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Was planning to go to the local pub tomorrow to watch the match with a few fellow Liverpool supporters.

Apparently we can only sit together up to kick off when every second person will have to swap places with a Utd supporter and discuss the match then.

Owner thinks it will be easier, as he only has voluntary part time security, to manage any trouble that way as it prevents fans of the same team from arguing aggressively with each other.

Also won't tolerate any discussion about it and has barred three people so far for questioning his decision.

Think I'll just watch it somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think you'd actually be better served having the superthreads open during the game, and then a post game match thread for discussion.

Here we could encourage actual analysis and conversation based on the outcome, tactics, performances etc. You could get posters posting relevant heat maps, write ups etc and it could be genuinely informative if everyone copped on and bought in.

I don't really think a match thread serves a lot or purpose outside of being a bit of craic, but there's a lot of posters who either go too far or are too sensitive for that to work well for a match of this magnitude.

That would be my experiment anyway.

Boards.ie is a joke with over controlling mods, just head over to Reddit tomorrow and do your discussion there. There is a few forums on here where the mods do it right though, the soccer forum is not one of them.

G'wan the Red Devils!

Knex. wrote: »
    I think you'd actually be better served having the superthreads open during the game, and then a post game match thread for discussion.

Here we could encourage actual analysis and conversation based on the outcome, tactics, performances etc. You could get posters posting relevant heat maps, write ups etc and it could be genuinely informative if everyone copped on and bought in.

I don't really think a match thread serves a lot or purpose outside of being a bit of craic, but there's a lot of posters who either go too far or are too sensitive for that to work well for a match of this magnitude.

That would be my experiment anyway.

Too late the feedback thread was 7 months ago :pac:

I like that idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I would have thought that the easiest thing to do would be to apply a more uniformed approach to moderating and to have the same "rules" for match threads as superthreads.

E.g., Liverpool lose a game, I as a United fan go into their superthread and post "ha ha ha" I will most likely get carded.

However if it were a match thread though I wouldn't, or I assume I wouldn't considering the wealth of examples available where this happens and no mod action is taken.

Just make posts that are clearly designed to goad card worthy, across all threads, and the bolloxing will soon stop.

This whole thing is a bit of a balls really. Many people don't want to post on match threads due to the cess pits they can become and in general the threads become cess pits because of posters that don't even support one of the teams involved in the game.

Either leave the respective threads open and allow users to post in whichever one they wish or hold users to the same standard that applies across the forum.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’ve long been an advocate for integration and making the forum a melting pot as its USP. I was against the change to allow match talk in the superthreads on that basis. However the change was made and the majority of my fellow Liverpool fans are enjoying posting solely in the superthread. Ultimately:

- this change is a result of your own feedback process
    - the time to revisit a change is therefore in the end of season forum feedback thread
    - further change requires consultation and evidence, particularly because the majority of the user base disagrees with you

Too late for buyers remorse. And trying to force it through in the manner you did is symptomatic of why this site is slowly failing, as noted by many before me.

Exactly. Things are working better with less integration.

I'm interested to find out who wants to change this. Beasty suggests there's a lot of complaints about the current state. I'd have thought the opposite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Boards.ie is a joke with over controlling mods, just head over to Reddit tomorrow and do your discussion there. There is a few forums on here where the mods do it right though, the soccer forum is not one of them.

G'wan the Red Devils!

This always makes me laugh. Reddit just bans people without question on whims. The thing is they just do it in a way you can't see the moderation. Shadowbans and zero appeals court or the likes. Reddit is actually more over controlling, but just hide it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Another nail in the coffin.

But at least if a feedback thread is allowed this year Mods can decide to reopen Superthreads during the game as the annual token change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't believe the forum is as poor as some make out, but for me the only consequence of this move is that I won't be checking out the soccer forum during the match. I see absolutely no harm in fans discussing it on their own threads and the match threads are usually sh*tshows (with one set of fans as bad as the other or even the neutrals)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement